The Student Room Group

How many hours per day should children spend at school?

Poll

How many hours per day should children spend at school?

Sorry for the rather simple question, but I'm genuinely curious what everyone thinks. Note I mean standard hours, not "lessons", so your choice includes any time you may wish children to spend on assemblies and EC or other non-educational activities (at school) if you are so inclined. Please vote in the poll. Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I voted 7-8 hours, I think more time in school could be beneficial to both children and parents, if children had to stay in school for at least 9-5 then not only does that give more time for education but also for more extra curricula activities run by the school, it also benefits the parents in that it means that both parents (or in the case of single parents) can probably still take a full time 9-5 job as having to pick up their child at 3 wouldn't be an issue.
Just for lessons I think 5-6 hours are enough, Another hours can be used in schools for extra curriculars activities as SophieSmall above suggested.
Reply 3
I vote for 5 hours. Thats about the length of the average school day in Finland. The problem is, when you keep children in a school environment you are actually slowing down their learning from the wider environment around them in general life. You need to find the right balance. Also, I think the afternoon in schools should be dedicated to extra curricular activities for pupils and for teachers, lesson planning and professional development.

In the afternoon children often switch off and become disengaged. Scrapping the lesson(s) after lunch would be to everyones benefit in reality. Just because a pupil leaves the school grounds it does not mean they stop learning or the teachers stop working.

Life itself is the biggest lesson.
Original post by Mr CS
(...) Also, I think the afternoon in schools should be dedicated to extra curricular activities for pupils and for teachers, lesson planning and professional development. (...)

That is a nice suggestion. It sounds really good.

Original post by Mr CS

(...) Just because a pupil leaves the school grounds it does not mean they stop learning or the teachers stop working.

Agree with you, especially the last sentence. :smile:
I think the amount of teaching time is about right.

I'd like there to be more dedicated time to sport or extra-curricular activities. We're having a big push trying to get every year 7 involved in at least one team or club and it's worked out quite well. Many don't get the chance to do this sort of thing out of school so doing it in school is one way forward.
I think around 6-7 would be about right, with the extra time used for extra curriculars or catch up classes/homework help for pupils who are struggling with something... I did an extra hour pretty much every day in high school for one activity or another and then with homework as well it would have been 6-7 hours

edit: as far as not concentrating in the afternoons, kids need to learn because they will have to do a job and do that in the afternoon
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr CS
I vote for 5 hours. Thats about the length of the average school day in Finland. The problem is, when you keep children in a school environment you are actually slowing down their learning from the wider environment around them in general life. You need to find the right balance. Also, I think the afternoon in schools should be dedicated to extra curricular activities for pupils and for teachers, lesson planning and professional development.

In the afternoon children often switch off and become disengaged. Scrapping the lesson(s) after lunch would be to everyones benefit in reality. Just because a pupil leaves the school grounds it does not mean they stop learning or the teachers stop working.

What time does school start in Finland? And how long are lessons?

I experienced school only in the mornings when I worked in Germany - still can't decide whether or not I liked it! :tongue:
11-12 hours really, and then studying extra or important material at home, research as well.
Reply 9
1-2 hours is easily enough if they're taught well. If you cut the crap out of modern day schooling and just leave the important bits (maths/literacy) it doesn't take long.
Reply 10
5-6, with no additional homework 'cos kids need time to be kids!
Reply 11
Original post by rachel.h
What time does school start in Finland? And how long are lessons?

I experienced school only in the mornings when I worked in Germany - still can't decide whether or not I liked it! :tongue:

I think its not much different but they have a lot of time for their break. Its usually over an hour for break time to ensure children get adequate exercise. I don't know why but Governments seem to be under the impression children only learn when in the classroom when we should be teaching them to become independent learners who learn through exploration of the environment around them as well.

This documentary is not that long and will explain quite a bit about it.

[video="youtube;ZwD1v73O4VI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwD1v73O4VI[/video]
6 or 7 was enough for me although personally I think 10-4/5 is better than 9-3/4; that way the kids are less likely to be bloody zombies first thing and it fits a bit better with the working parent's schedule.
Original post by Mr CS
I think its not much different but they have a lot of time for their break. Its usually over an hour for break time to ensure children get adequate exercise. I don't know why but Governments seem to be under the impression children only learn when in the classroom when we should be teaching them to become independent learners who learn through exploration of the environment around them as well.

This documentary is not that long and will explain quite a bit about it.

[video="youtube;ZwD1v73O4VI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwD1v73O4VI[/video]

I agree, we should be making independent learners.

But with exams the way they are, I would literally go into a blind panic if I thought I'd be getting any less time with my classes. Bigger issues to be changed too if we're going to make changes to the school day.

In fact, it's strange having a fresh pair of eyes on language GCSEs. We have an Italian woman come in to school once a week to teach year 11 and she can't believe how much they have been babied. She was reluctant to put her name to the documents to say the work was all their own, because they need so much teacher input.
Reply 14
Original post by rachel.h
I agree, we should be making independent learners.

But with exams the way they are, I would literally go into a blind panic if I thought I'd be getting any less time with my classes. Bigger issues to be changed too if we're going to make changes to the school day.

In fact, it's strange having a fresh pair of eyes on language GCSEs. We have an Italian woman come in to school once a week to teach year 11 and she can't believe how much they have been babied. She was reluctant to put her name to the documents to say the work was all their own, because they need so much teacher input.

I would abolish all formal examinations up until the age of 16 and put more emphasis on entrusting the teachers to do the job they're trained to do.
Reply 15
Original post by llys
Sorry for the rather simple question, but I'm genuinely curious what everyone thinks. Note I mean standard hours, not "lessons", so your choice includes any time you may wish children to spend on assemblies and EC or other non-educational activities if you are so inclined. Please vote in the poll. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How is Japan these days, sir?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the more important issue is what time. School should start later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Mr CS

Original post by elohssa
1-2 hours is easily enough if they're taught well. If you cut the crap out of modern day schooling and just leave the important bits (maths/literacy) it doesn't take long.

Agreed, there is so much crap in the current school day. I voted 3-4 hours for that reason (I think 2 hours is a little bit too short), and I would keep the afternoons free too, for pupils to work on projects they are interested in (at home, in a public place, or at school - wherever they want). I think that in a longer day, pupils cannot concentrate as well, and probably learn less. Also, with a shorter day, teachers have more time to plan lessons properly and mark work. I think formative marking and individual feedback is much more important for an individual child's progress than additional classroom lesson time.

With the internet, the school day could be made much more flexible in general, so that pupils who want mornings free and learn in the afternoon could also do so (online). Or even, learn while traveling around Europe, etc. (though obviously only a small minority of pupils would actually be able to afford that). I'd quite like to see schools as places where children only go sporadically to discuss with a personal tutor what they have learned in the last few days (in their online lessons), to discuss some more interesting material in a tutor group, or to meet with a teacher for individual help when they can't work something out on their own, but I guess that is too radical for most people. Also too independent / too much like university for children <12, but from 16+ (maybe even 12+) I could see it work quite well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SophieSmall
I voted 7-8 hours, I think more time in school could be beneficial to both children and parents, if children had to stay in school for at least 9-5 then not only does that give more time for education but also for more extra curricula activities run by the school, it also benefits the parents in that it means that both parents (or in the case of single parents) can probably still take a full time 9-5 job as having to pick up their child at 3 wouldn't be an issue.

Absolutely awful idea. Children would get bored and would just hate school, and possibly try to skip it. Think back to when you were a kid and how you would have reacted, I would have hated it.

Forcing them to have longer school hours would mean less time at home with family and less time for kids to simply be kids - both of those outcomes would be harmful to the children in the long run.

I'm fine with keeping school hours as they are, but they must not be increased.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending