The Student Room Group

AS-levels, when to start revision for May/June exams

Hi, I am currently studying my AS-levels in: maths, biology, chemistry and physics and would like to know when I should start my revision for each subject to get a Grade B or above, I have 3 exams for maths and 2 for each of the sciences so 9 exams in total.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Regards.

Also, if you did similar subjects as me, share when you started revision and what grade you got in the subject.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sal11
Hi, I am currently studying my AS-levels in: maths, biology, chemistry and physics and would like to know when I should start my revision for each subject to get a Grade B or above, I have 3 exams for maths and 2 for each of the sciences so 9 exams in total.

Thanks, Regards.

Also, if you did similar subjects as me, share when you started revision and what grade you got in the subject.

Varies per person but I believe serious revision begins anywhere between March and April.
I've started revision now:smile:
I started mine now, I'm surprised to see not many people have here

Original post by Tarte Tatin
I've started revision now:smile:

Hi-Five :tongue:
Reply 4
I mean when is it recommended to start a full on timetabled revision schedule
Reply 5
Maths, if you're good then a couple weeks before of just past papers.

Chemistry, I didn't do much unit 1 revision because it was at the end of my first set of exams lol. There's a half term at the end of may which I used to revise chem 2 (couple hours each day)

Really depends on how much you understand during the year, studying and revising are not the same. It's good to understand everything and then come back to it than wait and leave it until later to understand

Got A's in both btw.

Can't speak for phys/bio.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
You should be revising every day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For mocks start in early December, for real exams 1st April that's what I did to get straight A's. Also you should be working hard in all lessons and frees, but the intensive revision will start at this date otherwise you risk burnout. I cranked it up to 7hours on a Saturday etc
I am in year 11. Has anyone got any advice on when to start revising for GCSE's?
Reply 9
Original post by _-_Ella_-_
I am in year 11. Has anyone got any advice on when to start revising for GCSE's?

The sooner the better!
Original post by sam_xox
The sooner the better!

Thank you for the reply. I have started a little because of mocks.
I started around April half-term, and as I had done awfully in the year this was straight into full-blown revision.
I've been making revision notes and doing work books etc as I go along :smile:

Also what exam board do you do for maths because I'm doing Edexcel so have 4 exams but one of those is decision maths and I'm not sure whether we do that or not
I started middle revising in January and properly in March, I got AAAA so I must have done something right, haha!
Haha, the nerds who start now, how you continue to make me chuckle. :biggrin:

Basically OP, do it whenever you want. It's best to do little and often. I find it's good to review the previous topics every half term break.

I'm in A2 now, and my biggest tip however is to make sure you prepare revision materials as you go along through the course, and not at the end. I realised come exam season I need a few more notes, and spent a lot of time redoing all my notes, which was very time-consuming. So each term, collect and sum up all your notes ready for revision.
Reply 15
Original post by _-_Ella_-_
Thank you for the reply. I have started a little because of mocks.

Welcome! Yeah I wish I started earlier:facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm planning to properly start in the Christmas holidays but if I do have time, I'll hopefully squeeze bits of revision in between catchup work (I keep on missing a lot of school), homework, friends and extra curricular activities :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Don't spend all Xmas holidays hibernating for these mocks in January, there's no point. I just looked over a few notes, like hour hour a day and got I think CCDD. When the real ones came round I started end of March, and revised properly and came out with A B B. Don't stress yourself with these mocks, they mean nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sal11

Thanks, Regards.

I did the exact same subjects as you at AS (and I've continued all four onto AS). Honestly, I didn't start revision until I got off for study leave which was around the 10th of May. My first exam was the 13th. I somehow got AAAB (with the B in Physics and one mark off an A.:angry: But I guess that serves me right.:colondollar:).

But I seriously would not recommend this. I spent all of summer freaking out because I knew I didn't do enough revision and I nearly cried with relief when I got my results back in August. I'd suggest starting the hardcore revision around Easter at the latest, if you be sure to review topics throughout the year. I've already started revising for my A2s.

My new motto is that it's never too early to start your revision.:ahee:
Reply 19
Original post by loperdoper
I started around April half-term, and as I had done awfully in the year this was straight into full-blown revision.

Which subjects did you study and what grades did you achieve?

Quick Reply

Latest