The Student Room Group

Manchester 2015 Dentistry applicants

Hi all, just wondering how other manchester applications are going? has anybody heard anything?:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
someone finally created a manchester dentistry thread...was going to do it myself soon! and yh got a general acknowledgement email from manchester but nothing from the dental school it's self.

looking at last years thread, candidates generally got interviews invitations in november/december time so hopefully should hear something within the next month or two.

manchester is my dream uni, would love to go there!!

hbu? how was your UKCAT + you think you'll get an interview??
Reply 2
yeah i got the same acknowledgement email too, i know that manchester do some interviews this side of christmas and the rest next year (around feb)
i just pray that i get my interview in november/december!
I've had the acknowledgement email also. I'd looooove to study at Manc but I guess if I'm doing dentistry I'm cool anywhere but I'm just so rubbish in interviews arghh:///

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
hi all, to those who have them when did you recieve these interviews?
Haven't heard from manchester yet besides the acknowledgement email. When I went to see the univeristy, I think the admissions tutor told me that they mainly look at SJT coz they feel that's the most relevant bit, although it doesn't say that on the website.
They won't be using SJT this year according to the UKCAT website. It was miscalculated and as such, universities will not receive our score for that section
Original post by Keepdreaming24
They won't be using SJT this year according to the UKCAT website. It was miscalculated and as such, universities will not receive our score for that section

Seriously? :frown: got Band 1...they don't even get to see it?
I know :frown:
From the UKCAT website; [h="1"]SJT FAQs[/h]

I have heard that the Situational Judgement Test results have been withdrawn. What has been communicated to candidates?

In 2014 as part of the UKCAT test, candidates completed a Situational Judgement Test (SJT). This is a relatively new component to the UKCAT and unfortunately, a discrepancy in the scoring process for this section resulted in a significant number of candidates’ score bands being calculated incorrectly. As a result - and to ensure fairness for all candidates UKCAT has informed universities that they cannot use SJT bandings to inform admissions decision-making this year.

UKCAT has apologised for this issue and the inconvenience caused to candidates. Candidate scores for the remaining subtests are unaffected by this issue. The issues with the scoring process have been identified and will be rectified for 2015 testing.

If candidates have any further questions regarding this issue please check the FAQs below.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine! :smile:
I know :frown:
From the UKCAT website; SJT FAQs

I have heard that the Situational Judgement Test results have been withdrawn. What has been communicated to candidates?

In 2014 as part of the UKCAT test, candidates completed a Situational Judgement Test (SJT). This is a relatively new component to the UKCAT and unfortunately, a discrepancy in the scoring process for this section resulted in a significant number of candidates’ score bands being calculated incorrectly. As a result - and to ensure fairness for all candidates UKCAT has informed universities that they cannot use SJT bandings to inform admissions decision-making this year.

UKCAT has apologised for this issue and the inconvenience caused to candidates. Candidate scores for the remaining subtests are unaffected by this issue. The issues with the scoring process have been identified and will be rectified for 2015 testing.

If candidates have any further questions regarding this issue please check the FAQs below.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine! :smile:
So I wonder if Manchester will consider the other modules then, or just not really consider UKCAT at all...how much do they care about ukcat?
Well they don't have a cut-off and say it's only part of the process and so will use it in conjunction with you ps, grades etc. Where else have you applied if you don't mind me asking? I've applied to Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds and Bristol. :smile:
Original post by Keepdreaming24
Well they don't have a cut-off and say it's only part of the process and so will use it in conjunction with you ps, grades etc. Where else have you applied if you don't mind me asking? I've applied to Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds and Bristol. :smile:

I've applied to Bristol, Kings, Manchester and Queen Mary :smile: Did you have to do BMAT for Leeds?
Yeah but as it was the first time they've used it, they said they'd only resort to looking at it if you had a poor personal statement which I wasn't too worried about :tongue:
I just got an invitation for interview today not sure whether to take the December dates or the feb though does anyone have any advice and also any tips on how to prepare the website doesn't give a lot of info!
Oo congrats! As far as dates go, I would personally go for December just to get it out of the way and relax a bit more over the Christmas hols but whatever you feel more comfortable with! Not sure about any tips though, I'm afraid- I'm still waiting to hear anything. The open day gave quite a lot of info about the process, did you go to it?
Thank you! Yea I'm really not sure as I haven't prepped at all so far and I want to be as ready as possible! No I didn't go as I'm from Ireland so I didn't fly over I wish I had of though , it's the group discussion I'm worried about , thanks anyway and good luck with your application I hope you hear from them
when do manchester start getting back to people after interview? anyone who hears back can you make sure the student room is the first to know please? hahaha
Hi to all who got an interview at manchester, did you have to bring anything to the interview? Like portfolio stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunshine12321
Hi to all who got an interview at manchester, did you have to bring anything to the interview? Like portfolio stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey no you don't they tell you what to bring, like identification and exam certificates, and they say nothing to prove manual dexterity (I assume that's what you meant by portfolio?) but yeah :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply