The Student Room Group

Personal statement help (primary education)?

I'm looking to apply to primary education at a number of scottish universities. As it stands, I don't have the s5 entry requirements (I have ABB and AAAB is required), but I'm hoping to meet the s6 entry requirement of AAABB. I also want my personal statement to be really strong but I'm struggling on where to begin. I have loads to write in terms of work experience, buddying schemes in school and being a school prefect etc, but what I'm looking for is a punchy intro and conclusion; something that will help my personal statement stand out from others. Any help?!
Look at the links in my signature below - there's a guide for writing teaching PSs that should help you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by rachel_scottxo
I'm looking to apply to primary education at a number of scottish universities. As it stands, I don't have the s5 entry requirements (I have ABB and AAAB is required), but I'm hoping to meet the s6 entry requirement of AAABB. I also want my personal statement to be really strong but I'm struggling on where to begin. I have loads to write in terms of work experience, buddying schemes in school and being a school prefect etc, but what I'm looking for is a punchy intro and conclusion; something that will help my personal statement stand out from others. Any help?!

1. Why do you want to be a primary school teacher?
2. What is it particularly about primary school level education you're passionate about?
3. Did anyone inspire or motivate you to become a primary school teacher? Any influential teachers in your life?
4. What did you learn on your placements and how did your experiences further convince you that teaching at primary level was the right thing for you?
5. What skills do you already have that are transferrable to the classroom environment?

Your summary should be short, succinct and be the killer sentence you believe will get you the place on the course.
Original post by rachel_scottxo

There is no such thing as a perfect introduction and conclusion. It might be good to start writing about your work experience etc. and then writing your introduction and conclusion last. Your conclusion especially may be fairly easy to write once you have written the bulk of your personal statement.

I would also avoid focusing too much on being a prefect- universities tend not to be too interested in this for a variety of reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending