The Student Room Group

Will a US PS4 work in the UK?

So I want to buy a PS4 for reasons.
However, they're so much cheaper in America!
I know that i'll have to pay more for shipping etc, but would there be any restrictions beside the power cable that I should know of?
Do English games work on an American PS4?
Will I be able to make an English PSN account or will it have to be an American one? Therefore, will I be able to play with my English friends that have PS4s?

Any help would be appreciated! :biggrin:
Original post by RH03
I know that i'll have to pay more for shipping etc, but would there be any restrictions beside the power cable that I should know of?
Will I be able to make an English PSN account or will it have to be an American one? Therefore, will I be able to play with my English friends that have PS4s?

It should do. I've got an American PS4 but I'm yet to use it in the UK as I'm not back for a few more weeks.
But I have been using it in Bahrain which uses the same 230V power supply as back home without any fancy transformer, just the normal 99p plug adapter.
It connects fine to the UK PSN store for Bahrain with a VPN so I'm sure it'll be fine back home without anything like that.
All PS4 games are region free so British games will work fine. The only issue may be if you try to use an American game with British DLC or something like that. I'm not sure how that would work out.
Blu Rays & DVDs which aren't region free won't work on it though (obviously unless they're US ones).

Hope that helps.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Tempest II
It should do. I've got an American PS4 but I'm yet to use it in the UK as I'm not back for a few more weeks.
But I have been using it in Bahrain which uses the same 230V power supply as back home without any fancy transformer, just the normal 99p plug adapter.
It connects fine to the UK PSN store for Bahrain with a VPN so I'm sure it'll be fine back home without anything like that.
All PS4 games are region free so British games will work fine. The only issue may be if you try to use an American game with British DLC or something like that. I'm not sure how that would work out.
Blu Rays & DVDs which aren't region free won't work on it though (obviously unless they're US ones).

Hope that helps.

Ok cool, thanks man! That helps a lot.
Do you mean a game made by an American developer, or an American bought game, like from Walmart or something?
Original post by RH03

Once you include Sales Tax and shipping costs, they cost more from the US than buying one in the UK. Only buy one if you're in the US on holiday.

European games will work on the US PS4.

Yes you'll be able to create a UK PSN although if you own a PS3 and hold a PSN account already, log in with that. You can play the world no matter the PSN.
Reply 4
Original post by tehFrance
Once you include Sales Tax and shipping costs, they cost more from the US than buying one in the UK. Only buy one if you're in the US on holiday.

European games will work on the US PS4.

Yes you'll be able to create a UK PSN although if you own a PS3 and hold a PSN account already, log in with that. You can play the world no matter the PSN.

Do they really? Ahh man, ok, thanks anyway :biggrin:
PS4's are region free, as are all the games.

Quick Reply

Latest