The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 1
i kind of feel like that, except I'm not great friends with my flat mates either - we just aren't very alike. I've met quite a few people but really only fellow nurses. I'm going to sinfonia orchestra tomorrow so hoping that will help me to meet more people. Have you signed up for any societies?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
I've only met 2 people so far, and I've only met them once each - not spoken to either since I met them.
Reply 3
Which halls are you in?
Reply 4
I can't stress enough the importance of going to societies! DOn't worry if you didn't go to the fayre, you can easily get in on something at this time of the year, just find the one you like on the LUU website and email the president/whoever. Most groups haven't even taken a joining fee yet as people are still trying them out. You will always be welcomed by the members and there'll be plenty of other freshers just as nervous. I'm second year but as soon as I walked into the swing dance soc a girl came over to me because she was there on her own too! Incedentally, I would recommend the dancing groups because as you change partners in them you get to meet everyone in the soc, it's a great social opportunity.

Please please please don't not go because you don't have anyone to go with, the reason you go to these things is to meet someone new, the people you have already got to know, whether it's just one person or 6, will always get in the way; you will feel like you can stick together and will make less of an effort to meet people. You will feel 100% better from meeting people this way rather than in a pub or whatever because you get to know them in a different way, you will be able to conquer any shyness, make great friends and learn something new and exciting, what have you got to lose?!

I spent last year without any socs and I didn't get on great with anyone in my block so this year I vowed to get out there and make the most of the uni experience, try to do the same, you won't believe the difference in yourself!

Hope that helps, sorry its longwinded :biggrin:
Reply 5
Well you're only just starting classes this week, so you'll meet loooooooads of new people there.

And yeah, join societies.
Reply 6
thanks for the advice, i think I will probably join one of the dancing societies because they look really fun, although I haven't done any serious dancing before hope that won't be too much of a problem. I'm in Lupton, which is good because there are quite a few people here but it would be better if I was a bit closer to uni because I wouldn't have the excuse of the journey to wimp out of things!! Its strange because i'm never really shy i just think its the size of leeds which i find a bit overwhelming because i'm from quite a small school in a small town so hopefully it will get easier when I'm a bit more settled!
Reply 7
You're welcome and good luck :biggrin:

Latest