The Student Room Group

PLEASE HELP! Do i stay at Uni or go??

Hi!
Okay...so I've moved to university and am not enjoying it, the bottom line is; do I stay and see how things go or leave now and reapply to somewhere which I feel more settled and comfortable?
Freshers week, to put it plainly, was ****. The fact that there's only ONE nightclub and no other places to go out apart from run-down pubs made the experience somewhat not exciting. I was sick for the first week because I was homesick and anxious, but stepping back nearly 2 months on, I've realised how bad things were. I met people, but freshers wasn't what I thought it would be like. No one is relaxed or has their own identity. My flatmates don't want to go out and I was the only person who got drunk freshers week. In the days im bored, with the only thing to do is the 20min walk to town, where there Is a shopping centre. I'm on around an hour away from London on the tube, but its not easy, ideal or cheap going there to find something to do every weekend. Instead I resorted to going home and staying with my sisters at their unis. I recently went out with my friends in Brighton and it seems like that place has it all - nightlife, a good uni and stuff to do in the day.

I just thought that uni would be better than it is. I haven't really been here long but I fell bored already and not comfortable at all. I cried daily for about 3 weeks and broke down to my flatmates. I even went to see a counsellor to get some advice, but that was pointless, and all the feedback I got was a nodding head and a form to fill in.

The bottom line is, what do I do? has anyone else been in this situation, has anyone gained any advice from people/internet sites etc? I just need help to make this decision and don't want to drop out because of the wasted time and money. The thing that I'm struggling with is that I don't like my environment and cant see myself there for 3 years. Please, I need some external advice- do I stay till the end of year one and try to stick it out, then transfer to a place that has more going on. Or, do I drop out now, and reapply in September to a place that I can have a balance of a social and good university life.

sorry for the essay but any info/ideas would help me so much. I feel so drained, stressed and down.

Anyone been so bored and cant stand their university environment? I feel like im the only person.
Reply 1
Hi,

I guess it's a very individual decision and it depends on a number of things, for example:

- Are you doing well on your course? (In which case it might be worth completing the year and transferring, provided you find a university that accepts transfer students in the subject that you'd like to transfer to)

- Do you think that if anything changes (e.g. you move flats to live with more sociable people, you make good friends in one of your courses etc.) you would be happy to stay at your current uni next year?

- Do you have any idea what you would do if you left uni now and applied for entry to first year elsewhere next year?

- If you decided to stick it out for a year do you think your mental health will suffer? (even if you don't have a diagnosed condition, it's not good to be feeling constantly down or anxious) Or do you think you'll gain a sense of achievement and feel happy to be starting the second year of your degree next year elsewhere?

A lot of people struggle at different points during their degree and consider leaving but it sounds like you don't really like anything about the course or your uni town so it sounds like a very good idea to either leave and apply elsewhere or complete the year and then transfer.

It might be a good idea to check that you are very likely to either be accepted for transfer or accepted as first year applicant at Brighton or somewhere else. If you are worried/there is any doubt about this and you have decided to leave uni now rather than complete first year, you could take a Leave of Absence for a year instead, apply to Brighton or another uni and if you don't get in and cannot find something else better then return to the Uni you're at next year.

Definitely talk through it with your parents and don't feel too worried about leaving because one year will make next to no difference in the scheme of things and you might really enjoy your three years and get a better degree somewhere else :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest