The Student Room Group
Reply 1
In order
Oxbridge
Durham
Imperial
Warwick
Bath
I agree with the order above, though I think Oxbri/Dur/Imp are in a league of their own, then Warwick, and then Bath I was surprised to see listed with the others. Oxbridge will always get you noticed at interviews, but Durham and Imperial are very respected, too, especially with a first or 2.1.
In order imo:

Oxbidge
Imperial

Big gap

Durham/Warwick

Big gap

Bath
Reply 4
Original post by chem@uni
In order
Oxbridge
Durham
Imperial
Warwick
Bath

Rubbish, it depends on the subject. And imperial>durham for most subjects imperial actually offer. Imperial could even be higher than Oxford for certain subjects, especially engineering.
Though agree about bath, it is a bit out of place?
Reply 5
Depends on subject; for Maths you'd be fine at Imperial, Oxford or Warwick (I think it's called COWI or something, regarding best Maths institutions in the UK - Cambridge is the other one)
(edited 9 years ago)
Oxbridge
Warwick/Imperial
Durham
Bath
Reply 7
You can't generalise about a University. Imperial may be superior for Sciences, but this may be all it's superior for.

Durham for example is better than both Oxbridge for subjects such as English and History.

On the basis of the best Universities in their respective fields across all different subjects OVERALL I'd say:

Oxbridge
Small to moderate Gap

Durham (Overall) -- LSE ----- Imperial (general Sciences), Warwick (Business School affiliated subjects + Math)

Gap
Cambridge

(massive gap)

Imperial
Oxford
Imperial
Bath
Durham
Reply 9
Original post by Glider Gun
Cambridge

(massive gap)

Imperial
Oxford
Imperial
Bath
Durham

How did you come to conclusion Bath is better than Durham?
Original post by 105263
How did you come to conclusion Bath is better than Durham?

Durham is full of posh bitter oxbridge rejects. Bath is decent.
Reply 11
Original post by Glider Gun
Durham is full of posh bitter oxbridge rejects. Bath is decent.

If I'm not mistaken, many people who apply to the top five universities are Oxbridge rejects including those who take up offers at LSE, UCL and Imperial.

Bath is not a top five University.

And so they don't get 'posh bitter Oxbridge rejects' as you've described.

They get Posh bitter Bristol/Nottingham rejects.
Durham, Warwick, Bath and Imperial are all fantastic universities and relatively similar in terms of prestige. In terms of league tables, all four of those universities seem to be constantly swapping places. Employers in (for example) engineering and life sciences sectors rave about Bath and Imperial because they pretty much only offer science, maths, engineering and business degrees; they don't generally offer subjects like History, English or other arts subjects. Employers like City law firms love Durham and Warwick because they're brilliant at (for example) law. I don't think it's overly controversial to say that having a degree from either Oxford or Cambridge is pretty special and sets you apart from other graduates. Be prepared for one-on-one Saturday tutorials though!
Original post by 105263
You can't generalise about a University. Imperial may be superior for Sciences, but this may be all it's superior for.

Well, Imperial College does neither offer English or history, so no problem for them to be "only" superior in Sciences. :wink:

I would say: Oxbridge/Imperial => difference lies mainly in what course you enjoy more, both are really good, for Engineering I would say Cambridge/Imperial > Oxford.

Math: Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick

Warwick is also strong in economics, Durham is definitely a very good university but has other strength than Warwick or Imperial, so cannot really be compared.

I don't know much about Bath, only that they seem to have a very good sport program and I have heard they are very good for combustion engines concerning engineering.

At the end you are most likely to excel in a course, where you thouroughly enjoy the course content. And at the ends grades are often more important, than to which university you went.
Oh, another one of these threads?

Hmm, TSRians must get a dopamine boost from all this ranking masturbation. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Order:
Oxbridge
Imperial
Durham/Warwick

Bath
2014 thread :indiff:

Latest

Trending

Trending