Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
TKR
ive been there twice but chill phil

it's just you must have got this idea that security guards and safes are necessary from somewhere...?

im chilled, :smile:
yeah true...:smile:heheheh but still....russia is not unsafe!! have u been robbed/stabbed//shot at there??
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 41
dobbs
I don't think it was a jab* at you or Russia.....it's just that generally Russia *is* a more unsafe country than England. That's what we're warned when travelling there anyway...so if it's untrue...don't take it out on Alex - take it out on our Foreign Office, lol :smile:

*"Jab" meaning an insult, a poke at you, rather than vaccination :wink:

hate foreign offices!! they have no clue about russia!! it all depends where u are, and what time u go where!!
dobbs
I don't think it was a jab* at you or Russia.....it's just that generally Russia *is* a more unsafe country than England. That's what we're warned when travelling there anyway...so if it's untrue...don't take it out on Alex - take it out on our Foreign Office, lol :smile:

*"Jab" meaning an insult, a poke at you, rather than vaccination :wink:

What?I've never heard anyone use jab that way!Stab maybe,but not jab!How weird!
Reply 43
MasterBlaster
im chilled, :smile:
yeah true...:smile:heheheh but still....russia is not unsafe!! have u been robbed/stabbed//shot at there??

we were mugged in st petersberg actually but fortunately had very little on us and it was nowhere near as scary as being mugged sounds...
Reply 44
TKR
we were mugged in st petersberg actually but fortunately had very little on us and it was nowhere near as scary as being mugged sounds...

aah ****. Lucky u didnt have much on u. But i think the majority of the ppl who get "mugged" are foreigners..again this leads back to us being heavy patriots
Reply 45
Hahahaha, "chill Phil". New favourite phrase.
Why not bring travellers' cheques rather than vast quantities of cash? You can take these to one of the 9 or so banks in Durham and get them converted almost instantaneously.
Reply 47
MasterBlaster
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: hey hey slow down..u be careful what you say about russia....have u ever been to russia?? many ppl have this image of russia, being Nottingham numero due...but its not!! its becoming a safe country now...we are civilizing and growing!! we no longer need to rob other ppl, or even kill others...we arent primitive like we were 20-30 years go!

that was actually only like 10 years ago.. I can still remember how I was on the phone to my grandma a couple of years ago and she was telling me how some bloke got shot right in the small park area outside her appartment block.. so rought stough still goes on.. And foreigners aren't helping by wearing all the branded clothing.. you make a target out of yourself :cool:
Reply 48
dobbs
8) When do lectures begin?! 9th or 11th??
-Hahahahaha!!! Wishful thinking. Lectures begin on THURSDAY 5th OCTOBER. Yes, just over half way into Freshers Week. Sorry! :wink:

Term starts on the 4th...... http://www.dur.ac.uk/dates/
I'm at HildBede. My room in did not have an under-bed box..that's just mildert I think. I had a lockable cupboard over my wardrobe...but no key to lock it with.

As long as your actual room is locked when you are not in it you will be fine. Everyone has wallet, jewellry etc in their rooms. How are thieves going to get in to your room if the door is locked? apparate?
Reply 51
Kick it in, or go through a window?
Reply 52
Most rooms aren't on the ground floor, and completely smashing a window would be somewhat obvious and loud. If you are on the ground floor, just don't leave your windows open when out and you'll be fine.
Reply 53
AliceHildBede
I'm at HildBede. My room in did not have an under-bed box..that's just mildert I think. I had a lockable cupboard over my wardrobe...but no key to lock it with.

As long as your actual room is locked when you are not in it you will be fine. Everyone has wallet, jewellry etc in their rooms. How are thieves going to get in to your room if the door is locked? apparate?

what do u mean NO KEY?! great!!:smile:
i repeat what i have said before. You are going to uni, not the moon! For goodness sake, calm down.

Just lock your door when you are not in the room and everything will be fine. Get some insurance and then if someone does break in through a window and steal something (most unlikely, I've not known an incident) then you are insured and there is no problem.
Reply 55
If you keep your window shut and your door locked when you are out then for someone to steal anything there will be a nice smashed door or window as evidence of the theft and you will have no problems in claiming off of your insurance.

A locked door keeps both the honest honest, and most casual theives at bay. They know there will be an unlocked door somewhere else down the corridor and they just keep trying until they find one. Make sure it isn't yours.

Most colleges have fairly good to high security on the main doors to the blocks, CCTV monitored and recorded, and your average low-life theif stands out a mile amongst typical Durham students and being caught is not what they want at all.

At Hild Bede you will either have a room in a locked block with sturdy doors on each entrance, or you will be in the main block where you walk past the security/reception desk AND then enter a code to get to the rooms.

The university buildings are not Fort Knox, but they are secure enough that if you keep your door locked and your window shut when, criminals will try elsewhere.
Reply 56
MasterBlaster
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: hey hey slow down..u be careful what you say about russia....have u ever been to russia?? many ppl have this image of russia, being Nottingham numero due...but its not!! its becoming a safe country now...we are civilizing and growing!! we no longer need to rob other ppl, or even kill others...we arent primitive like we were 20-30 years go!

:mad: oi, there's a certain amount of hypocrisy in your comment there! I live right near and work in Nottingham! There have only been 5 shootings in the city this year (the 5th was yesterday) and to be completely honest, they all take place in areas called The Meadows, Sneinton and St Anns, so if you stay out of there you're fairly safe.

The number of shootings has dramatically reduced in the last few years...

2004 -> 42 shootings
2005 -> 11 shootings
2006 -> 5 so far (only 1 fatal)

I've worked in the city for almost 2 years and have never known a violent crime take place in the main area of the city.

Anyway, now you've been educated, you are forgiven :smile:
Reply 57
There have been 3 murders in Wimborne in the last 75 years. :eek:

Latest