The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Psychology 2015

For anyone hoping to go to UoB for psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I just graduated from there. Ask me anything :smile:.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by lightbulbflash
I just graduated from there. Ask me anything :smile:.

What's the department like? And the student life? And accommodation?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be 100% of Birmingham as my firm(if I get an offer ahahaha)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am! It's my top choice at the moment
Reply 4
Original post by Crystalz
I am! It's my top choice at the moment

Do you have an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IAmEchelon
Do you have an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No my school unfortunately is taking ages to send off my application, I finished it about 2 weeks ago :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Crystalz
No my school unfortunately is taking ages to send off my application, I finished it about 2 weeks ago :frown:

That's ages!

I finished sent mine off to the school on Tuesday, it's half term so I doubt the teacher has even looked at it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I might be! It's between exeter and birmingham...
Reply 8
Original post by Soph567
I might be! It's between exeter and birmingham...

Mines 100% Birmingham, with my insurance as Aston
I liked the feel of the city, which is surprising as I've always said it will never set foot in Birmingham as I cannot bare the accent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Mines 100% Birmingham, with my insurance as Aston
I liked the feel of the city, which is surprising as I've always said it will never set foot in Birmingham as I cannot bare the accent

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats cool, yeah so did I despite some people thinking it's not a very nice city. Haha how far away is it for you?
Reply 10
Original post by Soph567
Thats cool, yeah so did I despite some people thinking it's not a very nice city. Haha how far away is it for you?

Like 2 hours away, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
For anyone hoping to go to UoB for psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah! its my first choice and they received my application about 10 days ago but havnt heard anything
Reply 12
What accommodation are we all looking at?

I'm scared incase I don't even get an offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the department like? And the student life? And accommodation?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be 100% of Birmingham as my firm(if I get an offer ahahaha)

Posted from TSR Mobile

The department is really good and helpful. They team you up with second years to help you out when you start. All the lecturers are usually quick to respond and they have quite a variety of ways to learn.
In your third year there is a huge range of dissertation projects to choose from which was really good. Your first year doesn't count towards your overall degree mark, however how well you do in that year is ranked against other members of the year and that helps decide who gets what dissertation project in 3rd year.
Most of the accommodation is really good. I stayed at Oakley Court in Prittchatts Park which was fun. Most people try and get into Tennis Courts because they are the main 'party' ones but you can have as much fun at other places :smile:.
The uni has a really good careers group as well for trying to help you move on which you can also use for 2 years once you have graduated.
The student life is ace! A lot of people asked me why I wanted to go to Birmingham because they thought it was a horrible city but it really isn't. It has changed so much over the last decade. The student area of Selly Oak has a really good community. There is a night out pretty much every night of the week in town. The student union has a night called FAB which everyone literally raves about.
Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by lightbulbflash
The department is really good and helpful. They team you up with second years to help you out when you start. All the lecturers are usually quick to respond and they have quite a variety of ways to learn.
In your third year there is a huge range of dissertation projects to choose from which was really good. Your first year doesn't count towards your overall degree mark, however how well you do in that year is ranked against other members of the year and that helps decide who gets what dissertation project in 3rd year.
Most of the accommodation is really good. I stayed at Oakley Court in Prittchatts Park which was fun. Most people try and get into Tennis Courts because they are the main 'party' ones but you can have as much fun at other places :smile:.
The uni has a really good careers group as well for trying to help you move on which you can also use for 2 years once you have graduated.
The student life is ace! A lot of people asked me why I wanted to go to Birmingham because they thought it was a horrible city but it really isn't. It has changed so much over the last decade. The student area of Selly Oak has a really good community. There is a night out pretty much every night of the week in town. The student union has a night called FAB which everyone literally raves about.
Good luck!

Do you know anything about switching to the MSci in the second year?
Original post by Soph567
Do you know anything about switching to the MSci in the second year?

I think that you have to have a 2:1 for both your first and second year. They have opened it up to quite a few people now. There was only 5 places when I applied. Again, I think they rank you on how well you have done compared to other people. I'd say about 10% went on to doing the extra year although not everyone applied for it.
University of Birmingham is my first and second choice, I've applied for both the MSci and the BSc courses for psychology... that's how much I want to go there!

I've sent off my UCAS to my school for references, but like a few others, am still waiting on them to finalise everything. THE WAIT IS AGONISING! :-(

Hopefully it won't be too much longer now though, before it all gets sent off and the dreaded UCAS emails start to roll in!
Reply 17
Original post by comorbidity
University of Birmingham is my first and second choice, I've applied for both the MSci and the BSc courses for psychology... that's how much I want to go there!

I've sent off my UCAS to my school for references, but like a few others, am still waiting on them to finalise everything. THE WAIT IS AGONISING! :-(

Hopefully it won't be too much longer now though, before it all gets sent off and the dreaded UCAS emails start to roll in!

They automatically consider you for the BSc if you're unsuccessful in gaining a place for MSci

Posted from TSR Mobile
They automatically consider you for the BSc if you're unsuccessful in gaining a place for MSci

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh gosh, thank you! Why did nobody tell me this sooner? Good to know! Perhaps I should consider putting a different university choice then?
Reply 19
Original post by comorbidity
Oh gosh, thank you! Why did nobody tell me this sooner? Good to know! Perhaps I should consider putting a different university choice then?

Yeahh! I'm sure it's on the website, and you can always transfer if you're grades are good enough later on in the degree

It's up to you, if you want to stay in Birmingham, look at Aston, it's one of my choices and they offer a placement year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest