The Student Room Group

Simple Word problem

Please can you help me solve this problem mathematically without just guessing the answer. What's the proper mathematical way to solve it.

Tickets cost £14 for two adults and three children. The children's tickets are half the price of the adult tickets. What is the cost of the tickets for the adults?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dthomas86
Please can you help me solve this problem mathematically without just guessing the answer. What's the proper mathematical way to solve it.

Tickets cost £14 for two adults and three children. The children's tickets are half the price of the adult tickets. What is the cost of the tickets for the adults?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd want to set up an algebraic equation. A good starting point would be calling the children's ticket price x and therefore calling the adult price 2x.
Reply 2
What something like 2x+x=14
If I do it this way don't I up just end up with 3x=14 or should I use a different variable for the children?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Chlorophile actually made a small mistake. As you're trying to find the cost of the tickets for adults, this variable should be x, not the price for children's tickets. The price for children's tickets is half of the adults, so x/2.

We have 2 adults, so 2x, and 3 children, so 3/2x.

So now we can make the equation: 2x + 3/2x = 14

I'm sure you can solve from there :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks I find it so much easier to do it algebraic. My girlfriend was trying to show me using non algebra and I found her method way too complicated!
Does that make me dull lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Or an other method adults have to pay twice as much so 2x2 + 3 children = 7
14/7 = 2 and then double this as adult ticket prices are twice as much = 4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by anonwinner
Chlorophile actually made a small mistake. As you're trying to find the cost of the tickets for adults, this variable should be x, not the price for children's tickets. The price for children's tickets is half of the adults, so x/2.

We have 2 adults, so 2x, and 3 children, so 3/2x.

So now we can make the equation: 2x + 3/2x = 14

I'm sure you can solve from there :smile:

I would have done simultaneous.

x+3y=14
y=x/2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Andy98

x+3y=14
y=x/2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Snap

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98

x+3y=14
y=x/2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean 2x+3y=14? And yes that's what I did... Except I skipped the substitution step. :smile:

So you would have also used the wrong equations? :P
Reply 11
Do you mean 2x+3y=14? And yes that's what I did... Except I skipped the substitution step. :smile:

That one too - forgot it was two adults, then again that's what you get for doing it at a glance :tongue:
So you would have also used the wrong equations? :P

I thought he did it by mistake.

But simultaneous equations came straight to mind. Thats the snap.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest