The Student Room Group

Need to decide what Uni to go to, haven't visited, honest opinions. please reply!!

i'm stuck between Unis and I live overseas so can't visit them. I went to see unis and 4/5 of the ones I visited I hated. The only one I loved was reading so that's most likely gonna be my firm. The others im considering are York, Royal Holloway, Hertfordshire,Essex, Cardiff (but not sure cod in Wales) and Oxford Brookes (as my insurance but don't really want to go there? It's the only Uni in the south that asks for BBB, would I be able to reject the offer and go into clearing if I dint want to go like I could reject the firm and go into adjustment?) anyway I don't really know much about any of the unis besides reading so please if you've seen it, visited it, heard about it, anything feel free to say what you loved and hated (more interested in hated) about it. The reviews I've seen are so diverse I've got no idea what to think. Oh and it's to study History and I got ABB for AS so if you know any other Uni that's nice and lenient let me know please!

Scroll to see replies

Well I don't know about the other unis but I know someone that goes to Hertforshire and she reallyyy likes it (studies biomedical science)
I thought York was really good for history.
It might help the quality of advice offered if you told us what you loved about Reading, which other universities you visited, and what you hated about them.
they have cod in Wales :smile: But assuming you mean cold it'll be warmer than York as it's much further south. Cardiff has pretty cheap student accommodation, is a very friendly town and has a good academic reputation generally. It's a city centre university but the first year accommodation has a campus feel.

York has a beautiful campus but is a bit away from the centre. Smaller city than Cardiff. Relatives who went there years ago are still in touch with their uni friends so obviously enjoyed it there.

Royal Holloway - has the advantage of being a London university, everyone has heard of London. However it also has the disadvantages - quite a lot of people from London who disappear off home at weekends. More expensive area to live.

Don't know the others at all.
Reply 5
Original post by Crumpet1
It might help the quality of advice offered if you told us what you loved about Reading, which other universities you visited, and what you hated about them.

well reading seemed so up to date. the campus was beautiful, the country itself too. not too big but still big enough not to be boring. in terms of the history department it wasn't very big, and some may think that's bad but i think it means that teachers are more likely to be involved with each student, a much more personalized relationship than huge universities like birmingham. i visited lancaster which i hated as the place was so boring and i'm slightly bias towards south cos of the weather. the university was a bit out of the way and there was construction everywhere. they also weren't as helpful there which made a difference. kent i thought was okay but the campus was too spread out and i went to one lecture and it was the most boring thing ever. birmingham similar to kent, it was such a nice university but the history teacher giving the lecture was so boring and not engaging that if i ended up there and had that teacher i'd dread going. i visited queen mary but the lady there was horrible and i was there in freshers week and it seemed so dissapointing, just wasnt for me. i attended a talk of kings collage and royal holloway, kings collage was good but i think applying is too optimistic and royal hollway was okay but it seemed as if the student talking was being forced to say the good things she said. plus it's in surrey so bit out of the way i've heard.
Reply 6
Original post by parentlurker
they have cod in Wales :smile: But assuming you mean cold it'll be warmer than York as it's much further south. Cardiff has pretty cheap student accommodation, is a very friendly town and has a good academic reputation generally. It's a city centre university but the first year accommodation has a campus feel.

York has a beautiful campus but is a bit away from the centre. Smaller city than Cardiff. Relatives who went there years ago are still in touch with their uni friends so obviously enjoyed it there.

Royal Holloway - has the advantage of being a London university, everyone has heard of London. However it also has the disadvantages - quite a lot of people from London who disappear off home at weekends. More expensive area to live.

Don't know the others at all.

thank you! has helped a lot. and yeah the fact is small is what i'm worried about cos i visited lancaster and hated it because of that but the uni is so prestigious and i am hoping it's bigger. and true about wales,though also lots of people i know go there which i'm not so sure is a good thing haha
Reply 7
Original post by CuteMissJessica
Well I don't know about the other unis but I know someone that goes to Hertforshire and she reallyyy likes it (studies biomedical science)

yeah i heard the teaching isn't very good which put me off though no idea whether it's true about history. t
Maybe take a look at the YouTube tours of Exeter, Southampton, Sussex, Loughborough, Leicester, Nottingham, Bristol? They all have similarities with what you liked about Reading. Also I can't remember whether Bath does history?
Reply 9
Maybe take a look at the YouTube tours of Exeter, Southampton, Sussex, Loughborough, Leicester, Nottingham, Bristol? They all have similarities with what you liked about Reading. Also I can't remember whether Bath does history?

bath probably does. but i wish! bath, exeter and nottingham are slightly too high. i really wanted to apply to nottingham but i think it's AAA and i've heard they aren't very lenient. Southampton i don't really wanna go cos it's pretty far. maybe i'll look at the other three :smile: my friends just visited leicester and said it's nice. what do you think of liverpool? thanks by the way x
Southampton is pretty far from where? It's about an hour from London.

Definitely look at Sussex. It's in Brighton which is a fantastic town, it's got a real bohemian vibe about it. Plus it's by the seaside.
not sure about history but I loved York when I went to see it. I'd second the recommendations for Exeter and Southampton ( to be honest Southampton isn't much further than reading and royal Holloway). I know a few people at Leicester and they love it (although none take history).
Southampton is pretty far from where? It's about an hour from London.

Definitely look at Sussex. It's in Brighton which is a fantastic town, it's got a real bohemian vibe about it. Plus it's by the seaside.

just searched it and looks so nice and such a variety of modules but its AAB :frown: maybe i'll use it as my insurance instead of york or liverpool? what do you suggest?
University of gibraltar is really good for history xxx hahahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by harry barnes
not sure about history but I loved York when I went to see it. I'd second the recommendations for Exeter and Southampton ( to be honest Southampton isn't much further than reading and royal Holloway). I know a few people at Leicester and they love it (although none take history).

i wish but exeter is such high a very competitive so i don't think i'd have much of a chance. southampton is AAB which is possible but i dunno i know a few people there that makes me not very keen on it. do you know any universities which are lower than ABB that are worse applying to? because i have none for my insurance and was thinking oxford brookes which is BBB but cos it's brookes idon't wanna sound snobby but not to sure and also employers may not think it's very good. but it's the only BBB university in england i found
Original post by AnnieChander
University of gibraltar is really good for history xxx hahahah

Posted from TSR Mobile

HAAHAH annie go away i'm not asking you

just seen loughborough is ABB-AAB and its got 4.9 stars on google! have you seen it? do you think it's nice? though for history in the league tables its really low like 50th hmm
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lalalalisha
well reading seemed so up to date. the campus was beautiful, the country itself too. not too big but still big enough not to be boring. in terms of the history department it wasn't very big, and some may think that's bad but i think it means that teachers are more likely to be involved with each student, a much more personalized relationship than huge universities like birmingham. i visited lancaster which i hated as the place was so boring and i'm slightly bias towards south cos of the weather. the university was a bit out of the way and there was construction everywhere. they also weren't as helpful there which made a difference. kent i thought was okay but the campus was too spread out and i went to one lecture and it was the most boring thing ever. birmingham similar to kent, it was such a nice university but the history teacher giving the lecture was so boring and not engaging that if i ended up there and had that teacher i'd dread going. i visited queen mary but the lady there was horrible and i was there in freshers week and it seemed so dissapointing, just wasnt for me. i attended a talk of kings collage and royal holloway, kings collage was good but i think applying is too optimistic and royal hollway was okay but it seemed as if the student talking was being forced to say the good things she said. plus it's in surrey so bit out of the way i've heard.

I'm a 2nd year student at Reading, if you got any questions, feel free to ask :h:
Original post by James A
I'm a 2nd year student at Reading, if you got any questions, feel free to ask :h:

hahah is there anything you don't like about it? nightlife is it really that bad? do you like it? and what do you study there? thank yoooou :colondollar:
Original post by lalalalisha
i wish but exeter is such high a very competitive so i don't think i'd have much of a chance. southampton is AAB which is possible but i dunno i know a few people there that makes me not very keen on it. do you know any universities which are lower than ABB that are worse applying to? because i have none for my insurance and was thinking oxford brookes which is BBB but cos it's brookes idon't wanna sound snobby but not to sure and also employers may not think it's very good. but it's the only BBB university in england i found

From what I've heard brookes is a good uni to go to. with ABB at AS you could probably get into Southampton if your predicted are alright (I had ABBB at AS and just got accepted for law which is AAA) so it is possible if your teachers think you can improve on your AS results, which you can probably do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending