The Student Room Group

Achieving A*/A English Literature

Anyone got any tips on achieving an A or higher in English Literature at GCSE. Preferably how to layout the structure of paragraphs of PEE and any good techniques to impress the examiners :wink: Also, if anyone could put some good vocabulary down and their definitions would be great as I need to learn some impressive words haha! By the way, I'm doing An Inspector Calls, Heroes and Of Mice And Men. Help is very appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by Horsegirl01302
Anyone got any tips on achieving an A or higher in English Literature at GCSE. Preferably how to layout the structure of paragraphs of PEE and any good techniques to impress the examiners :wink: Also, if anyone could put some good vocabulary down and their definitions would be great as I need to learn some impressive words haha! By the way, I'm doing An Inspector Calls, Heroes and Of Mice And Men. Help is very appreciated :biggrin:

Remember to link back to the title of your essay at the end of each paragraph, and after each quote in your explanation you want to also analyse individual words, literary techniques, etc. Using the word juxtaposition always made my English teacher happy for some reason, and tragic inevitability and foreshadow in Of Mice And Men were good words too.
Original post by AdamCee
Remember to link back to the title of your essay at the end of each paragraph, and after each quote in your explanation you want to also analyse individual words, literary techniques, etc. Using the word juxtaposition always made my English teacher happy for some reason, and tragic inevitability and foreshadow in Of Mice And Men were good words too.

Thanks for your help, I feel like my English teacher is only teaching us the structure of C and B grades :frown:
If you use the phrases patriarchal society, hyperbole, microcosm and pathetic fallacy all English teachers love you forever and ever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tryrevise
If you use the phrases patriarchal society, hyperbole, microcosm and pathetic fallacy all English teachers love you forever and ever

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I don't even know what they mean, I'll probably use them in the wrong concept! The only big words I know are colossal, our English teacher needs to teacher us better I think! :eek:
George kills Lennie ngl
Original post by jackson443
George kills Lennie ngl

Damn, don't give away the ending, good job I've already watched and read the book!
Best bit of advice- read examiner's reports! This way you can see exactly what they're looking for and what they don't like... Honestly it helps a lot!
i love english
(edited 9 years ago)

I am currently in year 11 and so far have achieved all A*'s in all my controlled assessments for English language , with full marks in creative writing, i am now currently completing my literature controlled assessment. I did a controlled assessment in year 10 on of mice and men in which i got 28/30. The structure i followed was not PEE but PEELAC , what you have to remember is there are marks for context ( the C) in which you talk about what was going on when the book was written eg. the great depression and how this links in with what you are saying. The A is for additional or alternative views , this is where you show off and use additional or alternative ideas that link in to what you are saying e.g. biblical references. Remember the main body or 3/4 of your essay needs to be LANGUAGE ANALYSIS. I cannot stress this enough, this is when you zoom into a word and analyse the **** out of it and explore all possible connotations that link to your point ( you get marks for writing a lot about a little i.e use a small quote/1 word ). The explanation should only be explaining how the qoute links to your point and shouldn't be more than 4 lines.

Hope this helps
and you don't need impressive words , you just need to write sophisticated this means a well flowing and skillfully crafted essay , you don't get marks for vocabulary.
Original post by Humzaawan123
I am currently in year 11 and so far have achieved all A*'s in all my controlled assessments for English language , with full marks in creative writing, i am now currently completing my literature controlled assessment. I did a controlled assessment in year 10 on of mice and men in which i got 28/30. The structure i followed was not PEE but PEELAC , what you have to remember is there are marks for context ( the C) in which you talk about what was going on when the book was written eg. the great depression and how this links in with what you are saying. The A is for additional or alternative views , this is where you show off and use additional or alternative ideas that link in to what you are saying e.g. biblical references. Remember the main body or 3/4 of your essay needs to be LANGUAGE ANALYSIS. I cannot stress this enough, this is when you zoom into a word and analyse the **** out of it and explore all possible connotations that link to your point ( you get marks for writing a lot about a little i.e use a small quote/1 word ). The explanation should only be explaining how the qoute links to your point and shouldn't be more than 4 lines.

Hope this helps

thankyou :smile:
Original post by aerohotchoc
Best bit of advice- read examiner's reports! This way you can see exactly what they're looking for and what they don't like... Honestly it helps a lot!

Thanks could you send me a link to one, please? My exam board is WJEC :tongue:
Moved to the english forum :smile: Good luck with your studies!
Reply 14
make sure to use a semi-colon correctly at least twice and they'll fall in love
Thanks could you send me a link to one, please? My exam board is WJEC :tongue:

I also did WJEC. :smile:
http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/qualification-resources.html?subject=EnglishLiterature&level=GCSE
There's a list of all the examiners reports here. It might be worth doing the corresponding past paper first and then using the examiners reports to see where you can improve and steal ideas.
I also did Of Mice and Men, so if you like I can message you my notes that I'd written on it- they got me my A*!:tongue:
http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/qualification-resources.html?subject=EnglishLiterature&level=GCSE
There's a list of all the examiners reports here. It might be worth doing the corresponding past paper first and then using the examiners reports to see where you can improve and steal ideas.
I also did Of Mice and Men, so if you like I can message you my notes that I'd written on it- they got me my A*!:tongue:

Hi I'm doing WJEC too - could you possibly message me those notes as well? :tongue: oh and I'll also take a look at the links :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Aerohotchoc, I am doing wjec as well. Could you send me your notes as well, please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending