The Student Room Group

Turkey - Not a crisis

Right so some numpty posted a paranoid delusion about how Turkey was going to be conquered by ISIS, I prepared a response but the thread was closed (typical)

the claim is here (at the end)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2941063&page=3&p=51255177#post51255177

here are my objections

Turkey has a standing army of around 664,049 people according to wiki.
Turkey is much better equipped... (understatement of the century)
Turkey has already foiled several attempts by ISIS.
Turkey has played the Kurds and ISIS against one another and has barely lifted a finger, how can anyone believe that ISIS who are having so much trouble beating the Kurds would be able to fight Turkey?

That ISIS is present on the southern border is not surprising but doesn't justify such a paranoid reaction.

What do you think of the situation? Is Turkey having a 'crisis' that justifies a big paranoid cowardly run like 'Black Hippy' thinks?
(edited 9 years ago)
southeastern turkey will be conquered by them, after its given to the kurds.
Reply 2
Original post by Desperation
southeastern turkey will be conquered by them, after its given to the kurds.

Can't ever see Turkey giving it to the Kurds. But if the Kurds can take more land in Syria (something unnoticed by many) then it may attract some of the Turkish Kurds.

Ideally with the state Syria is in you'd have the Kurds take more land and then get Turkey to agree to defend them if they drop their claim to Turkish land.
Original post by Rakas21
Can't ever see Turkey giving it to the Kurds. But if the Kurds can take more land in Syria (something unnoticed by many) then it may attract some of the Turkish Kurds.

Ideally with the state Syria is in you'd have the Kurds take more land and then get Turkey to agree to defend them if they drop their claim to Turkish land.

It will eventually happen.How do i know ? 3 soldiers were shot dead while they were not on duty(civilian clothes) last week. 1 more guy shot in the back of his head few days ago, didnt make it to the news.-instead some newpapers chose publish interviews with pro PKK guys.When some 30 people died in the clashes between two groups(both of which happen to be kurdish) same newspapers claimed they died as a result of police action.Clearly the west not only sympathizes with kurds but also supports their independence.

Back to the topic, i dont see any possibility of a savage group taking land from world's 8th best army + NATO wouldnt allow such a thing to happen (not because they love turkey so much but because of the message it would give to russia )
There is no way that Turkey is ever going to fall to a bunch of guerillas, no matter how fanatic they are :rolleyes:

First, Turkey's Islam is very different to that of ISIS (understatement of the millenium).

Secondly, the only reason Turkey is playing the waiting game is, as people before me commented, to let the Kurds and ISIS who are both its enemies, take each other out.
Reply 5
Turkey supports ISIS, my friend. Turkey doesn't have to be afraid of ISIS, because they are allies. Several videos have proven this.
Original post by DErasmus
Right so some numpty posted a paranoid delusion about how Turkey was going to be conquered by ISIS, I prepared a response but the thread was closed (typical)

the claim is here (at the end)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2941063&page=3&p=51255177#post51255177

here are my objections

Turkey has a standing army of around 664,049 people according to wiki.
Turkey is much better equipped... (understatement of the century)
Turkey has already foiled several attempts by ISIS.
Turkey has played the Kurds and ISIS against one another and has barely lifted a finger, how can anyone believe that ISIS who are having so much trouble beating the Kurds would be able to fight Turkey?

That ISIS is present on the southern border is not surprising but doesn't justify such a paranoid reaction.

What do you think of the situation? Is Turkey having a 'crisis' that justifies a big paranoid cowardly run like 'Black Hippy' thinks?

I had hoped this threat would be a look at Turkey's overall geopolitical position at the moment. Sad to see it is about ISIL.

Turkey doesn't want to engage ISIL, because that would now mean engaging Assad for them the two go hand in hand. So they have no reaction until either they are forced by realities on the ground or the US changes its policy and starts going after Assad and ISIL. My view is realities will change and force Turkey to take action against ISIL with US support.

No ISIL couldn't defeat Turkey, however it could cause problems for Turkey. However these problems will be short lived and could be manipulated to the benefit of Turkey making it stronger.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by william walker
I had hoped this threat would be a look at Turkey's overall geopolitical position at the moment. Sad to see it is about ISIL.

Turkey doesn't want to engage ISIL, because that would now mean engaging Assad for them the two go hand in hand. So they have no reaction until either they are forced by realities on the ground or the US changes its policy and starts going after Assad and ISIL. My view is realities will change and force Turkey to take action against ISIL with US support.

No ISIL couldn't defeat Turkey, however it could cause problems for Turkey. However these problems will be short lived and could be manipulated to the benefit of Turkey making it stronger.

Bro, with all the respect, but your point of view is wrong.

You expect Turkey and ISIS to have no ally-relations, while history has proven otherwise.

- Several former ISIS-terrorists have claimed that they got assistance from the Turkish army;http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/07/30/ISIS-Fighter-Claims-Turkey-Funds-the-Jihadist-Group
- Turkey only builds a bufferzone for the enemies ISIS, not at the Turkey-ISIS controlled area borders.
- Several pics of Turkish soldiers with terrorists(whether they are ISIS or not, is not clear) on the internet, like this one http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=71a_1405540446

ISIS is not going to engage with Turkey, cause almost all of foreign ISIS-fighters enter Syria via Turkey. Attacking Turkey means that ISIS will no longer be able to recruite new fighters into Syria. Also, Turkey buys oil of ISIS, making them trade-partners.

Turkey sees a short-term partner in ISIS and a long-term colony(Erdogan seeks to restore/revive the Ottoman Empire) in ISIS.
Original post by Counselor
Turkey supports ISIS, my friend. Turkey doesn't have to be afraid of ISIS, because they are allies. Several videos have proven this.

Interesting concept but fatally flawed.

Turkey is desperate to get into Syria to deal with ISIS ( and Assad) but has claimed publicly it's not going it alone, it's wanting other NATO nations to carry the burden.

I don't know how you think turkey support ISIS just because ISIS are fighting against. Assad. Turkey's not going to want a bat **** crazy ISIS led neighbour on its doorstep.
Reply 9
Original post by MatureStudent36
Interesting concept but fatally flawed.

Turkey is desperate to get into Syria to deal with ISIS ( and Assad) but has claimed publicly it's not going it alone, it's wanting other NATO nations to carry the burden.

I don't know how you think turkey support ISIS just because ISIS are fighting against. Assad. Turkey's not going to want a bat **** crazy ISIS led neighbour on its doorstep.

It's commonly known that Turkey supports ISIS. And since Turkey supports ISIS, America killing ISIS, means America killing the brothers of the Turks.

Just watch this video and you'll understand why the Turks are angry that America attacks ISIS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJS3UbUGDNE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending