The Student Room Group

How do you motivate yourself to study?

At the start of the year I was working so hard up until last week. I had plans for this holiday to get all my coursework done, all my homework and do lots of revision but I have done only an hour of revision so far. I just don't want to do anything, I lay in bed all day either sleeping or thinking about what I should be doing. I used to want to go to university and study medicine but now I just think about how much work it will all be. I just hate being so lazy!

Any motivation tips?
Revise.

Or your future will consist of hard labour.

Your call.
Original post by President Putin
Revise.

Or your future will consist of hard labour.

Your call.

Blunt much?
Original post by H.Ibrahim
Blunt much?

Hopefully that'll be some good motivation for the OP.
Reply 4
Hopefully that'll be some good motivation for the OP.

Not really:smile:
Original post by quinoa
Not really:smile:

If you can't get motivated to study for your GCSEs then there is no point in you pursuing your education.

It only gets harder during A-levels and at university.
Reply 6
If you can't get motivated to study for your GCSEs then there is no point in you pursuing your education.

It only gets harder during A-levels and at university.

I know, I was motivated until earlier this week.
Original post by quinoa
I know, I was motivated until earlier this week.

Find that spark you had all that time and carry on revising. It'll be worth it come exam time and even more so in August when you get your results.
Reply 8
Find that spark you had all that time and carry on revising. It'll be worth it come exam time and even more so in August when you get your results.

Hopefully my motivation will restore itself, but thank you anyway.
Reply 9
Well, I've just done GCSEs got 4As, 5Bs and a C (not great by TSR standards I know)

Basically my advice is, for now, stay on top of homework and coursework but don't do any intense revision because when exam fear kicks in and you are already doing insane hours, you will totally lose motivation.

What I did when it was closer to exams was everytime I was in a good mood but had nothing to do, I would revise. Trust me do this, do not try to revise when you arent in a good mood because nothing happens. That time wasted looking at your textbook you could be watching tv as you won't learn anything.

Revise for all of your mocks so you can see the gaps in your knowledge. I didn't do this and in my January mocks I had a D in biology, C in Chemistry and C in Physics as I hadn't revised. I ended up getting As in all 3 but since I didnt revise I had to work through 900 pages of textbook in like 2 months, along with my other subjects such as pulling a U in ICT up to a B in the last week. If I were to just revise and do coursework on time no joke I could've got 8As out of 10 GCSEs (English Lit&Lang were just never happening for me).

Good luck and chill out but not too much
When u sit done to study firstly think about urs dreams, your future and about the consequences u r gonna face if ur grades are bad. Always keep in mind that u have to run after your dreams . Good luck
I might be the only one who thinks this is a good idea but might as well share it :')

Basically, make a vision board. It can even be things to blu tack to the wall, but it's what you want to achieve etc. You can put countries you want to visit, jobs you want to have, experiences you want to have, relationships (love, a family...), what universities you're currently thinking off and things like that.

Whenever you don't feel motivated, look at that board and think about the effects of your actions. If you don't revise you fail exams, get bad A Levels and don't get into a good uni to do medicine. You won't get your dream job and therefore will earn less, meaning less money to spend on experiences and your future life. (of course very cause and effect here, but you get the point). If you do revise, obviously you prevent all of those bad things (in a way) and get the life you're dreaming of.

Try and make your revision more fun too. Put on some instrumentals (not the actual songs if you know you'll just sing) and use brighter colours, get a nice folder and think about how to organise your work. Make note cards for memory and go to the library with a few of your friends. A lot of my friends and I have done that in the last couple of days and it's actually helpful, seeing everyone else works hard motivates you and makes the 5 minute breaks feel better.

Good Luck with it all :smile:
Reply 12
Think about where you are and where you want to be. If the two don't match up, you've got all the motivation you need to study.
Set yourself clear goals and reward yourself when you reach them. E.g. when I've finished this chapter I can go shopping with my friend e.t.c :smile:
That one dream OP.
Your only goal.
And high concentration levels, well it works for me always and exceptionally well.
Original post by quinoa
At the start of the year I was working so hard up until last week. I had plans for this holiday to get all my coursework done, all my homework and do lots of revision but I have done only an hour of revision so far. I just don't want to do anything, I lay in bed all day either sleeping or thinking about what I should be doing. I used to want to go to university and study medicine but now I just think about how much work it will all be. I just hate being so lazy!

Any motivation tips?

I somehow force myself to study, when the thought of me getting unemployed and being despised by my schoolmates who get good jobs and great lives make me sick. I mean, it does not feel good to see yourself being nothing whereas your friends live well.
I also make myself a schedule, reminding me when the next test and quizzes will be. When I arrive school early, I tend to take out the notes and revise.
This may not suit you as people's characters vary. As for me, I see a programme of foreign exchange tour and I really want to go, but it requires good grades so I force myself to revise just to make sure I get qualified to the programme.
Maybe you can find something that you really want to do but it cannot be done without good grades.

Quick Reply

Latest