The Student Room Group

When dating, how long do you wait before sex?

I don't know about other females but in order to have sex with a guy I would need to get to know him and have some kind of connection/relationship with him before I'd be comfortable having sex. So I've always assumed that it is best to get to know a guy and wait several months before having sex... I'm not really the tactile type anyway so this might be partly the reason. According to many guys though they expect sex on the third or fourth date as they don't feel comfortable in waiting a long time.. is this right? So I wondered what is the average wait time lol and when do you girls start to feel comfortable enough to do it with a guy?

On a similar topic I just wanted opinions on this. I went on a date with a guy who I've been talking online with for years (not met him in real life before though). After the date I told him that I had enjoyed it and he said that he had to. He said 'I particularly enjoyed looking at your sexy bum if you don't mind me saying so' Am I old fashioned or is this a bit forward after meeting someone once? I'm not the type who tries to be sexy. I wouldn't have minded nice eyes or something but then maybe I don't have them lol and my bum is actually the best thing about me! Anyway a week after that during normal online conversation he would keep twisting the convo to mention my bum and he wanted to send me a pic of his manhood. I would like to meet him again but the comments, talk of sex etc kind of puts me off. Is it me that is old fashioned or is he being a bit forward? He is ok apart from these comments etc, or is this the norm?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

After marriage :smile: inshaAllah
Original post by Ribbit1234
After marriage :smile: inshaAllah

Ok, thanks :smile:
If the only thing he bangs on about after meeting you is sex and your a s s , maybe hes only after one thing? Dont give it to him straight away, be sure he respects you and is not just using you. Good luckk
Reply 4
Depends on the relationship and the individuals obviously. I've dated for months without sex, and I've required girls stripped within 30 seconds of entering my apartment if they want to stay.
Reply 5
Original post by civilstudent
I don't know about other females but in order to have sex with a guy I would need to get to know him and have some kind of connection/relationship with him before I'd be comfortable having sex. So I've always assumed that it is best to get to know a guy and wait several months before having sex... I'm not really the tactile type anyway so this might be partly the reason. According to many guys though they expect sex on the third or fourth date as they don't feel comfortable in waiting a long time.. is this right? So I wondered what is the average wait time lol and when do you girls start to feel comfortable enough to do it with a guy?

On a similar topic I just wanted opinions on this. I went on a date with a guy who I've been talking online with for years (not met him in real life before though). After the date I told him that I had enjoyed it and he said that he had to. He said 'I particularly enjoyed looking at your sexy bum if you don't mind me saying so' Am I old fashioned or is this a bit forward after meeting someone once? I'm not the type who tries to be sexy. I wouldn't have minded nice eyes or something but then maybe I don't have them lol and my bum is actually the best thing about me! Anyway a week after that during normal online conversation he would keep twisting the convo to mention my bum and he wanted to send me a pic of his manhood. I would like to meet him again but the comments, talk of sex etc kind of puts me off. Is it me that is old fashioned or is he being a bit forward? He is ok apart from these comments etc, or is this the norm?

Unfortunately yes, this is completely normal. His intentions are to compliment you, but if his manner makes you uncomfortable then you need to tell him or he won't know to change it.

As for how long you should wait before sex, it should be whenever you feel comfortable to do so - don't be pressured by what other people say or what a man may expect. If he doesn't wait then he isn't worth your time.

As for me, if I were looking for a potential boyfriend then I'd go by the three date rule (minimum) so that I won't sleep with him on the first night and present myself as a one night stand, rather than girlfriend material. However I'm generally quite comfortable with casual sex; one night stands aside, I slept with my friend with benefits on the day after we met which I don't regret at all. If you feel secure with yourself and the other person, why not go for it?
Reply 6
I would personally wait a couple of months.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ideally about 4 hours.

But after one week I'm deleting the number.

Any guy who has more than one option is going to do the same. If you want the best, you gotta move fast.
Reply 8
negative 1 month
Depends how long I knew them prior to dating. If we'd been friends for ages first, then I'd probably be jumping at him like a sex-starved rabbit.
If not, then I'd wait a fair while, couple of months maybe.
Deadline on the first night
Reply 11
A month with my boyfriend, 4-5 with my ex (I was still a virgin when I met him); so whenever I felt comfortable really. Saying that I wouldn't sleep with someone on the first date.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vapor
If I had been seeing a girl for 2-3 weeks tops and she still wasn't ready by then to have sex I would move on.

Everyone should be able to work out whether or not they'd feel safe, secure and trust the other person enough to sleep with them after that period of time. Any longer and it would start raising questions about how they view you.

Also, bare the age-range in mind on this forum. A lot of the younger girls on here will say they would wait months but when you get into your twenties, that becomes somewhat incompatible with UK culture of dating.

I think this is key - I tend to assume everyone here is at least student age, hence you would imagine most people would say somewhere between 1 hour and 1 week.

But yeah, obviously school kids are going to have some unrealistically old-fashioned views about how the real world works.
5 minutes would be enough
Original post by cole-slaw
If you want the best, you gotta move fast.

I love the implication that you're the best, while demonstrating that you're not.

For the OP, it depends on what you call a 'date'.

I have always liked the 'sex first, relationship later.. possibly' attitude of the gay scene. All of my relationships with women started with being sexual together before it became "romantic", but that can be after many years of knowing each other.

1-2 months maximum
Original post by unprinted
I love the implication that you're the best, while demonstrating that you're not.

For the OP, it depends on what you call a 'date'.

I have always liked the 'sex first, relationship later.. possibly' attitude of the gay scene. All of my relationships with women started with being sexual together before it became "romantic", but that can be after many years of knowing each other.

I think you're projecting mate.

Other than that, your advice is largely sound. 90% of the successful adult relationships that I have witnessed started off with sex.
Reply 17
With my first 2 I waited 3 months but my last bf I only waited a week and that relationship went bad with him cheating on me and only wanting one thing so I think I would always wait a while now
Months? People expect someone to not have sex and not sleep with anyone else for several months? :lol:
I don't have a time-scale I keep to. Whenever I want to really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending