The Student Room Group

Religious Studies PGCE Applicants 2015 Entry

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would make a thread where applicants for the RE PGCE could share tips, worries and questions about the PGCE process. It might also be a great place to meet others applying to the same universities!

I wish everyone the best of luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm applying to:

University of Bristol
University of Gloucestershire (Cheltenham)
Bath Spa University

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I was starting to think I was the only one :smile:

I am applying to York St John, Leeds Trinity and Sheffield Hallam.

I'm just waiting for my references to be submitted...eek!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by laura.a.c265

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! I'm also waiting for a reference to be submitted and it's killing me! What are you doing while you wait for acceptance onto the PGCE? I'm currently finishing of my Theology degree at Nottingham Uni.
Original post by MedicineBug
Hi! I'm also waiting for a reference to be submitted and it's killing me! What are you doing while you wait for acceptance onto the PGCE? I'm currently finishing of my Theology degree at Nottingham Uni.

I'm finishing my MSc at the moment. My degree is RS and Philosophy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm currently in the process of deciding where I want to study my PGCE. I was curious, how did you come to decide that those universities were the ones that you wanted to study at? It seems like there are a huge number of them and no clear way of understanding which university is better to learn how to teach R.S.
Original post by jaxaccount
I'm currently in the process of deciding where I want to study my PGCE. I was curious, how did you come to decide that those universities were the ones that you wanted to study at? It seems like there are a huge number of them and no clear way of understanding which university is better to learn how to teach R.S.

When it comes to PGCE one uni isn't academically better than another. It boils down to a question of where you want to end up (at least for a while). Most people get NQT posts in the area they train in as you build connections when you are at placement schools and word of mouth etc. I chose the only 3 PGCE providers in Yorkshire!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hi all,

I had a place to start this Sept on the RE PGCE but had to defer for personal reasons, so thought I'd say hi on the thread for 2015 :smile:

Good luck everyone! I believe I'm not allowed to talk about specific interview questions but happy to chat generally about the process! I had interviews last year at KCL, St Mary's and Roehampton.
Original post by magic_box
Hi all,

I had a place to start this Sept on the RE PGCE but had to defer for personal reasons, so thought I'd say hi on the thread for 2015 :smile:

Good luck everyone! I believe I'm not allowed to talk about specific interview questions but happy to chat generally about the process! I had interviews last year at KCL, St Mary's and Roehampton.

Hi,

I did the same but my place was with Teach First so I couldn't defer I had to withdraw. Will you be starting in 2015? Which uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by magic_box
Hi all,

Hi, it's nice to meet you!

How long did it take for you to be contacted about an interview? Which Uni have you got a place with? How was the day of the interview structured and did it vary between the different universities?

Sorry about all the questions! :smile:

How long did it take for you to be contacted about an interview? Which Uni have you got a place with? How was the day of the interview structured and did it vary between the different universities?

Have you heard anything yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you heard anything yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, nothing as yet. How about you?
Nope, nothing as yet. How about you?

Nope :frown: I'm a total nervous wreck!
Nope :frown: I'm a total nervous wreck!

Just got an email from Bristol Uni for an interview :smile:

Ah brilliant congratulations! I haven't heard a thing...starting to think nobody loves me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

When is it? Is there a lot to prep?

Posted from TSR Mobile
When is it? Is there a lot to prep?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's on the 24th so I think I should be ok for prep time. They've asked me to bring in an article from a newspaper which shows religion in the news and then I believe I have to show how it can be referred to in a lesson. So not too bad.

You'll get something soon! Fingers crossed :smile:
It's on the 24th so I think I should be ok for prep time. They've asked me to bring in an article from a newspaper which shows religion in the news and then I believe I have to show how it can be referred to in a lesson. So not too bad.

You'll get something soon! Fingers crossed :smile:

Oh that sounds fun! Do you have to do any maths or English tests on the day? I really hope so, I'm feeling a bit despondent seeing all these people getting interviews!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I did the same but my place was with Teach First so I couldn't defer I had to withdraw. Will you be starting in 2015? Which uni?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey :smile:

It took about ten days I think to hear about my first interview, then got the others through quite quickly (though a technical thing with one meant I got an email about an interview the next day - that sent me into a panic! - but after a frenzied phone call it was shown to be a mistake and I had a weeks notice) :smile: So at least a weeks notice for each. My place is at Roehampton which largely I went with because of distance and where they had links with local schools.

The days were all quite similar, some much shorter than others though, mostly involving a written task, group task and presentation then interview. I actually really enjoyed them!

Good luck!!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest