The Student Room Group

No link between tough penalties and drug use.

There is "no obvious relationship" between tough laws and levels of drug use, a government report has suggested.

The research compared the UK with countries like Portugal, where possession of small amounts of drugs no longer carries criminal sanctions.

Liberal Democrat Home Office minister Norman Baker said the findings should prompt the end of "mindless rhetoric" on drugs with a new focus on treatment.

The government said it had "no intention" of decriminalising drugs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29824764

MAJOR opinion poll shows a total of 71% now believe that the 40 year fight against illegal drugs has failed - and 65% back a Government review of all the drug policy options

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6042356/brits-think-war-on-drugs-cant-be-won.html

"Conservative Home Secretary Theresa May has made clear no major changes are on the agenda, maintaining that existing approaches are working."

Couldn't keep the report buried for long but her heads not going anywhere fast.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Our policies towards drugs have always been bizarre. Mostly because the government usually refuses to have any sort of reasonable debate about it. If we have such good policies towards drug use why refuse to have a discussion?
I like the bit about banning all "psychoactive drugs"...apart from tobacco and alcohol of course, because they make a **** ton of money. Shameful.
Original post by Aj12
Our policies towards drugs have always been bizarre. Mostly because the government usually refuses to have any sort of reasonable debate about it. If we have such good policies towards drug use why refuse to have a discussion?

Bear in mind that our policies differ no more than that vast majority of other countries.

Society (in general)has said that drugs should be illegal. And therefore laws are passed to legislate for that desire.

The problem is that your average drug addict will continue to carry on and use them. There's the death penalty for drugs in many country's, but the desire to take, and supply, is not going to impact on the desire.

They've used drugs in this case, but what about any other illegal activity?

Murder is illegal yet people still commit it.

The question is what do you do when punishment for a criminal activity isn't a deterrent?
Reply 4
Original post by MatureStudent36
Bear in mind that our policies differ no more than that vast majority of other countries.

Do you think that might have something to do with the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs?

Society (in general)has said that drugs should be illegal. And therefore laws are passed to legislate for that desire.

And now society (in general) is saying that hasn't worked and we need to do something different, so I guess we can expect an imminent change in laws?
The same can be said about serious crimes like homicide in relation to the death penalty. U.S statistics show that serious crimes, such as murder and homicide, are far more prominent in states operating the death penalty versus those that don't.

People don't think about the consequences of their actions half the time. If they want to take or traffic drugs, they will. If they want to murder someone, they will. The punishment that the state enforces is just the unfortunate aftermath. If anything, legalising drugs like cannabis would make their consumption easier to regulate because people wouldn't have to resort to the black market for their cravings.

What I think also has to be taken into account is the fact that those who take drugs are often addicted. Therefore, they need help more than they need punishment, in my view.
The problem is that for political parties there are little to no votes to be won from liberalising drug laws, but PLENTY of votes to lose from the "won't somebody think of the children" and Daily Mail brigades who would vehemently oppose such a policy.
Reply 7
Original post by rich2606
The problem is that for political parties there are little to no votes to be won from liberalising drug laws, but PLENTY of votes to lose from the "won't somebody think of the children" and Daily Mail brigades who would vehemently oppose such a policy.

Top comment on the Daily Mail

Legalising drugs would be a benefit to everyone. Less crime for a start. Users are getting their stuff now anyway so why not have official control of it. Legalisation will eventually happen but not soon because the whole idea is a vote loser for any political party.

The problem is that your average drug addict will continue to carry on and use them. There's the death penalty for drugs in many country's, but the desire to take, and supply, is not going to impact on the desire.

Nah that's not it. The vast majority of users are not addicts. The 'problem' is that doing drugs is one of those crimes that nobody thinks they are actually going to get busted for. You might feel a bit edgy carrying drugs on you but even that edginess is outweighed by the 'need' to carry those drugs from A to B. I mean, if I'm at a party, festival or whatever and I am using drugs, I do not feel the slightest bit of concern that I might be punished for it. It doesn't even cross my mind. That's why it doesn't work.
one week there is one piece of research, the next week another which contradicts it... so it goes
Original post by n00
Do you think that might have something to do with the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs?

And now society (in general) is saying that hasn't worked and we need to do something different, so I guess we can expect an imminent change in laws?

Society in general can say that any law that is passed that isn't 100% effective hasn't worked.

The options are:-

Acknowledge that its not working and legalise

Try an new approach

Do nothing

Accept that laws aren't 100% effective.

Actually, thinking about this story it's a non story. It's a bit like saying rake laws having stopped tape so they're ineffective.
Reply 11
Original post by the bear
one week there is one piece of research, the next week another which contradicts it... so it goes

Do we have to wait till next week or can you point us to last weeks?
Reply 12
Society in general can say that any law that is passed that isn't 100% effective hasn't worked.

The options are:-

Acknowledge that its not working and legalise

Try an new approach

Do nothing

Actually, thinking about this story it's a non story. It's a bit like saying rake laws having stopped tape so they're ineffective.

So the law should only follow what society is saying in one direction or just when you agree with it? :s-smilie:

Accept that laws aren't 100% effective.

If there's no link to drug use how is it effective at all?
If you're anti drugs throw all your records in the bin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending