The Student Room Group

Whose started studying for Alevel exams?

Who has started studying for Alevel exams?
When are you planning on getting on to past papers?
Any advice for students taking exams next year?

Any one take Maths, Physics, Economics and Further Maths?

NOT WHOSE WHO's in the title
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I mean i dont really see the point of doing past-papers right now, as i only know a 1/4 of the subject content, so for me it would be fairly pointless trying the past-papers...I usually save them for around April/May time.

But yes ive started to prepare for my exams, AS year for me was ****! i was too laid back and left everything to last minute which resulted in a set of poor/average grades so you can say that i've learnt from my mistakes and am prepping early :smile:

For me the best way im doing things is summarising modules onto an A4 sheet so its more manageable to look at and will save plenty of time later on in the year. Thats what i did for physics AS last year. I also watched loads of youtube videos for physics as my teacher at school were pretty bad. I recommend DrPhysicsA

i don't do maths so cant help you there.

Economics from what ive been told by my friends, make sure you know what your graphs look like as apparently they're very easy marks in the exam.
Reply 2
Original post by RagaZ
I mean i dont really see the point of doing past-papers right now, as i only know a 1/4 of the subject content, so for me it would be fairly pointless trying the past-papers...I usually save them for around April/May time.

But yes ive started to prepare for my exams, AS year for me was ****! i was too laid back and left everything to last minute which resulted in a set of poor/average grades so you can say that i've learnt from my mistakes and am prepping early :smile:

For me the best way im doing things is summarising modules onto an A4 sheet so its more manageable to look at and will save plenty of time later on in the year. Thats what i did for physics AS last year. I also watched loads of youtube videos for physics as my teacher at school were pretty bad. I recommend DrPhysicsA

Economics from what ive been told by my friends, make sure you know what your graphs look like as apparently they're very easy marks in the exam.

Thanks for the detailed response. I will be sure to check out DrPhysicsA. (r+)
At the moment, i am just copying up class notes and making flash cards. I am doing the questions in the textbook but not past paper ones atm. Is this ok?
Reply 4
Bump
Reply 5
Bump:smile:
YOU GUYS ARE SO PREPARED AND ORGANISED. :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Edminzodo
YOU GUYS ARE SO PREPARED AND ORGANISED. :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what are your plans for the next few months?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Bump
Reply 9
Hey :smile: I'm in Year 13 doing my A2s. I have started doing past papers but only certain parts of them because since it's the beginning of the year I don't know a of content.
My advice for students taking exams next year would be:
Get focused -everyone begins the year wanting straight A grades but at the end of the year only a select few get these grades. Why? Because they are focused on what they want to do - some have medical school to get into, others have egos to maintain and others just want get into university. As for those who are 'naturally clever' they need to go away and stop making feel bad about ourselves. ;-)
Work hard -At A-level, a lot of the work is hard and intimidating -at first. When you find something that you find difficult, make sure you see to it that you improve your understanding of it : Go to teachers, ask other students, ask people on the student room. Don't just wait till you get a D on a test to realize 'oh I think this needs some work.'
Have fun! I know A-levels can be stressful etc, but don't forget to have fun and remember that there is a world out there.

Yup I do maths. Here a couple of sites you will find indispensable:
physicsandmathstutor.com : I looovveeee this site! As you can tell from the name it helps for physics too. There are a craazzzy number of past papers on there.
examsolutions.com: This site has a lot of past paper questions and there is a guy who goes through them with you.

Okie dokes. Sorry for the long reply, I kinda went overboard.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Acrux
Who has started studying for Alevel exams?
When are you planning on getting on to past papers?
Any advice for students taking exams next year?

Any one take Maths, Physics, Economics and Further Maths?

NOT WHOSE WHO's in the title

I'm doing maths, further maths, economics, geography and history.

I've started revising past papers for maths, further and economics. A little for history and nothing for geography.

I'm going to get into the thick of my revision at Christmas :smile:
Original post by RagaZ

Maths is the language of physics!
Reply 12
Bump
Reply 13
bump
Original post by Acrux
bump

I haven't started, no. We've already started getting past papers questions at school, but I'll probably properly start the full papers just before mocks (after February half term).

Other than Economics, my subjects aren't that much more difficult than last year, so there's not really the need to be putting in a lot of extra work atm.
Reply 15
Bump
Reply 16
bmup

Quick Reply

Latest