The Student Room Group

Radiography

Hi guys,

I am thinking of studying radiography but I have a few questions that I wanted to ask:

1 Obviously with this career you are expected to work with various imaging machines, but what are the chances that in the future this role would be computer automated i.e the patient would for instances follow instructions

2. Do radiographers play an important role within the NHS or would any other HCP be able to take on that role?

3. Any other advise would be much appreciated

Thanks
Original post by FXD
Hi guys,

I am thinking of studying radiography but I have a few questions that I wanted to ask:

1 Obviously with this career you are expected to work with various imaging machines, but what are the chances that in the future this role would be computer automated i.e the patient would for instances follow instructions

2. Do radiographers play an important role within the NHS or would any other HCP be able to take on that role?

3. Any other advise would be much appreciated

Thanks

1. i suppose in theory some of the simple plain films might be able to be automated, much as they are delegated to Assitant practitioners, but realistically the human involvement pre imaging means best results

2. yes radiographers play an important role, other people can be trained as operators under IR(ME)R but their scope is restrcited

3. don't be a 'seagull' , unfortunately some HCPC professionals are well practiced at being seagulls, i.e. come in flap about, squawk a lot , leave **** all over the place and pinch your chips ....
Reply 2
FXD
OP
Original post by zippyRN
1. i suppose in theory some of the simple plain films might be able to be automated, much as they are delegated to Assitant practitioners, but realistically the human involvement pre imaging means best results

2. yes radiographers play an important role, other people can be trained as operators under IR(ME)R but their scope is restrcited

3. don't be a 'seagull' , unfortunately some HCPC professionals are well practiced at being seagulls, i.e. come in flap about, squawk a lot , leave **** all over the place and pinch your chips ....

Thanks a lot for that.

How is the pay like in comparison to nursing and midwifery?
Also, is it recognised abroad in other European countries?

Cheers
Unfortunately I can't answer these questions for you, but just wanted to say I'm also interested in radiography. Are you considering any particular universities? I'd quite like to study abroad and not really sure of my options.
Reply 4
FXD
OP
Original post by FeelingDepressed
I am applying for radiography and am a bit suprised at your questions. Have you been on a clinical placement and thoroughly investigated the role to know what is involved?

If not, can you imagine an elderly lady with a broken shoulder following a fall and suffering from dementia actually following computer instructions and positioning herself for an xray? Can you imagine a distressed chap with Parkinson's disease going through a CT scan and laying still whilst a computer told him what to do?

Of course radiographers play an important role, and another HCP would be just as able to do a radiographers job without three years training as you would be able to slot into that of a physiotherapist or audiologist.

No, I meant with less severely fractured/injured patients and as a result leading to a decrease in the number radiographers that would be employed/required.
What are your reasons for applying to radiography if I may ask?
Reply 5
FXD
OP
Original post by Tarte Tatin
Unfortunately I can't answer these questions for you, but just wanted to say I'm also interested in radiography. Are you considering any particular universities? I'd quite like to study abroad and not really sure of my options.

Hey

I am still doing researcher to see which universities are receiving best feedback from the students and those that have high employment rates.

I am not entirely what options you would have with studying abroad as I am planning to stay in UK.

Any particular reasons as to why you would want to study abroad? Also, what made you interested in radiography?
Original post by FXD
Thanks a lot for that.

How is the pay like in comparison to nursing and midwifery?
Also, is it recognised abroad in other European countries?

Cheers

not sure about international recognition

pay wise starting money is the same in the NHS = Agenda for change band 5

Traditionally Radiographers , like Physios and OTs, found promotion to ( senior 2) band 6 easier / sooner than Nurses ( especially as with the merging of Nursing D+E grades into band 5 roles as a general rule) but the nurses often earn more becasue of the level of requirement for Nursing cover 24/7 , where Radiography departments are more diurnal in activity ( even with 'extended hours working' - meaning the department is 'day time open' from 8 -8 rather than 9 to 4:30 with an hour for lunch) as the Out of hours provision is casualty and ward emergency plain films unless you are in a HASU or MTC where there is 24/7/ 365 quick access to CT etc
Original post by FXD
Hey

I am still doing researcher to see which universities are receiving best feedback from the students and those that have high employment rates.

I am not entirely what options you would have with studying abroad as I am planning to stay in UK.

Any particular reasons as to why you would want to study abroad? Also, what made you interested in radiography?

Many reasons - different culture, possibly a different climate, getting away from home and being independent. Obviously, I'll have to take things such as the cost of living abroad into account.

At the moment, I'm keeping my options open with careers (I'm in year 12), but radiography appealed to me because I'll be helping/caring for people and using technology. What about you?
Reply 8
FXD
OP
Original post by Tarte Tatin
Many reasons - different culture, possibly a different climate, getting away from home and being independent. Obviously, I'll have to take things such as the cost of living abroad into account.

At the moment, I'm keeping my options open with careers (I'm in year 12), but radiography appealed to me because I'll be helping/caring for people and using technology. What about you?

Sorry about the delayed reply. Yes pretty much the same reasons really and I also really enjoy the anatomy part of the course :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest