The Student Room Group

subliminal messages in UCAS

Anybody ever thought of making a new e-mail address for the sake of UCAS and give them a different impression to your current e-mail address? Like if your current one was fr00tyl00p_10ve@blahblah dot com, or something really random when you made it, would you create a more serious one for UCAS if you were applying, for example Law or History or something seen as really academic? Has anyone ever subliminally put their GCSEs in a particular order like all the ones that relate to your course first, and then the rest? Or putting best grades to worst? (though that's probably what most people do). Have you tried putting subliminal messages in your personal statement? Do you think your unis will catch on? etc etc. :biggrin:
Reply 1
The UCAS form automatically sorts grades into the order it wants, so that's pointless. But it is a good idea to use a sensible email address
Reply 2

Which order is that? I hope they don't see a particularly bad subject I did (ending up being top of the list).

Imagine being able to influence the decision of the admissions tutor with the language you use in your personal statement (as well as the content). I could use Derren Brown right now :p:
Reply 3
It's usually alphabetically by exam board, but don't worry too much as UCAS do it automatically, and one bad result shouldn't affect you too much.
Reply 4

Oh good, my art grade was decent :biggrin:
Reply 5
smiley :)
Anybody ever thought of making a new e-mail address for the sake of UCAS and give them a different impression to your current e-mail address? Like if your current one was fr00tyl00p_10ve@blahblah dot com, or something really random when you made it, would you create a more serious one for UCAS if you were applying, for example Law or History or something seen as really academic? Has anyone ever subliminally put their GCSEs in a particular order like all the ones that relate to your course first, and then the rest? Or putting best grades to worst? (though that's probably what most people do). Have you tried putting subliminal messages in your personal statement? Do you think your unis will catch on? etc etc. :biggrin:

Yes - i'd recommend that you do that. And you should begin using a more formal and sensible email address henceforth for formal correspondence. :smile:
Reply 6
And when you're using your brand new sensible e-mail address to ask the admissions tutors something, please God don't start your e-mail with,

"Hey, I was looking at your course..."

You do not know these people. "Hey" is not appropriate.
Reply 7
I didn't think of the email address thing. Just changed it, thanks.
Reply 8
yes coz i remember hearing (probably a myth) about a girl applying for law at lse and her email address was [email protected] and the admissions directors jsut didnt admit lol.

so i made a new gmail address which is basically jsut my name very formal and jsut put an auto forward to my normal email address lol
Reply 9
LOL, I have "mufc" in my email, I might make a new one incase they don't like Man Utd LOL!
Reply 10
oh no i have put mine in but mine isnt very sensible
damn i didnt think about that
what you think of
the-flying-ostrich ?
Reply 11

:rofl: the flying ostrich? That's cool, they're going to remember you :biggrin:!

I know someone who got an offer for KCL with the username xxxxxx69er :p: (not giving out their address though :biggrin:
Reply 12
But surely they'll contact you on this new email address which you'll probably forget to check. My email address is a bit informal but tbh I cba making a new one just for UCAS!
Reply 13
My friend who applied to Oxford put in his personal statement that he liked Colin Dexter novels (he wrote inspector morse, set in oxford) as an attempted subliminal message He was also thinking of going to his york interview in a "I :suith: New York" Tshirt with the "New" taped out. Dunno if he did that in the end though.
Reply 14
maucej
And when you're using your brand new sensible e-mail address to ask the admissions tutors something, please God don't start your e-mail with,

"Hey, I was looking at your course..."

You do not know these people. "Hey" is not appropriate.

And if you write a 'formal' email make sure you proof read it, i was sending out a pretty much identical email to several different admissions officers and simply switched the university names to cater for each email. I didnt notice that the first email was started with 'Dear Madam', as i'd found out the admissions tutor was female, and then sent it to the rest of the male admissions tutors starting with 'Dear Madam'. Probably not a great first impression now is it?
WHAT? So i can't use my current email of [email protected]? boooooo

:wink:
Reply 16
Everyone laughs at mine, i used it to apply for internships in the US and actually got a comment back on how stupid it was. Quite embarassing. To be honest I doubt anyone would really look twice, the people who will see it are admin people and are very unlikely to be the person who actually decides whether to admit you!
Reply 17
No it goes on your actual UCAS form which the admissions tutors DO see in its entirety! My dad sometimes looks at them and has a good laugh lol. But I shouldn't think it'll count against you!
Reply 18
i dunno.. maybe
when our college had ucas days, they suggested if we have "comic names" to use our college ones
good luck xx
Popa Dom
My friend who applied to Oxford put in his personal statement that he liked Colin Dexter novels (he wrote inspector morse, set in oxford) as an attempted subliminal message He was also thinking of going to his york interview in a "I :suith: New York" Tshirt with the "New" taped out. Dunno if he did that in the end though.

That's jokez.

Latest

Trending

Trending