The Student Room Group

Lost driving confidence

I got into my first accident last week, which was my fault cause I didn't look at my blind spot. I've sorted my car out and paid for the damages so everything has been taken care of on that part.

However, I'm really scared to go back on the road. People aren't really helping cause they keep making jokes about it and it upsets me even more.

I'm really paranoid now about being careful and getting into an accident again and it's giving me a really hard time to get back into it. I did enjoy driving a lot and I love it but for now I'm really apprehensive and I just won't go away. I have to drive through where I had the accident to go to work and I always dread it.

I just want to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by grx_
I got into my first accident last week, which was my fault cause I didn't look at my blind spot. I've sorted my car out and paid for the damages so everything has been taken care of on that part.

However, I'm really scared to go back on the road. People aren't really helping cause they keep making jokes about it and it upsets me even more.

I'm really paranoid now about being careful and getting into an accident again and it's giving me a really hard time to get back into it. I did enjoy driving a lot and I love it but for now I'm really apprehensive and I just won't go away. I have to drive through where I had the accident to go to work and I always dread it.

I just want to

Posted from TSR Mobile

People have accidents. It happens. As long as you're not driving like a prat you'll be fine
Reply 2
I just want to ask about how other people coped with these things. I'm a new driver and I really hope I wouldn't have to deal with this for a long time but it's happened now and there's nothing else I can do :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by grx_
I just want to ask about how other people coped with these things. I'm a new driver and I really hope I wouldn't have to deal with this for a long time but it's happened now and there's nothing else I can do :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How long have you been driving?

The best thing to do is get back on the road as soon as possible, learn from your mistakes and don't forget to remember what your driving instructor taught you.
Original post by grx_

I just want to

Posted from TSR Mobile

Happened to me after my first (and only) crash too. I wrote my car off last winter by hitting ice and using a stone wall as an emergency brake, ripped half the engine out and gave myself a lovely dose of whiplash.

I was terrified of getting back into a car, even on gentle bends i thought the car would just fish tail out from under me.

But I got over it and if anything my confidence as a driver improved. I still make mistakes (every driver does) but it takes time and I genuinely feel that the best way is simply get back on the horse.
Reply 5
Original post by King Leonidas
How long have you been driving?

The best thing to do is get back on the road as soon as possible, learn from your mistakes and don't forget to remember what your driving instructor taught you.

I started last year but I only got my car this April so not long.

Thank you, I'm really ashamed cause my old driving instructor is teaching my friend now and he asked my friend what happened to it cause he saw it outside my house when it was wrecked and I felt like I disappointed him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silverbolt
Happened to me after my first (and only) crash too. I wrote my car off last winter by hitting ice and using a stone wall as an emergency brake, ripped half the engine out and gave myself a lovely dose of whiplash.

I was terrified of getting back into a car, even on gentle bends i thought the car would just fish tail out from under me.

But I got over it and if anything my confidence as a driver improved. I still make mistakes (every driver does) but it takes time and I genuinely feel that the best way is simply get back on the horse.

What happened, did you drive over some ice and lose control of the car?
Reply 7
Original post by silverbolt

Thank you, that sounds really scary. I'm worried about the winter too, I probably won't drive in the snow.

That's really reassuring, I haven't been on a big drive since but I'll be patient and see if it gets better with time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by King Leonidas
What happened, did you drive over some ice and lose control of the car?

A combination of ice and oil on the road. I hit it on a bend and the back came out from under me, taking me across the other side of the road where I went up the embankment and tore the front of the car off and demolished the engine. If the road had been wider Id have been alright.

Original post by grx_
Thank you, that sounds really scary. I'm worried about the winter too, I probably won't drive in the snow.

That's really reassuring, I haven't been on a big drive since but I'll be patient and see if it gets better with time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh it is scary - but ask yourself, what was worse the thought of crashing (which all new drivers do) or the actual crash itself? My crash was nasty and frightening but I got over it.

The UK and Ireland have some of the most stringent and extensive car safety tests going. Cars are designed to take as much as the impact as possible away from the driver.Your safer in a UK car than a European car or American car.
Reply 9
Sucks, but time is a good healer. You weren't seriously injured or worse, that's the most important thing

I know a bunch of people who've been in accidents, every single one of them are fine now, and honestly I was pretty confident I'd at least be able to avoid one in my first year of driving, but nope, just under a month of regular driving and I collided with another car, his door was dented, my bumper split in half

My confidence took a slight hit but I shrugged it off for the most part. Suppose it had to happen as my awareness is probably twice as good as it was prior to crashing. It is unfortunate but more than likely you'll be a better driver because of it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending