The Student Room Group

are some people just...BETTER than others?

It is a depressing notion but I think it may be true. E.g. I have seen numerous posts along the lines of 'he feels.insecure because he knows you're better than him'. This is not in the context of abuse it is in contexts of being financially/aesthetically/socially superior/having better control of emotions etc.

Tyler Durden also said [sic] 'I am better than you in every way'[/sic] Moreover there are lots of.posts around the Internet about 'improving yourself' etc. as well, but it seems this is something some people have to do less than others, which implies they are better than them.

The concept of individuals having no true intrinsic worth and variable extrinsic value is part imo of the double edged sword of meritocracy and is particularly exploited in capitalist communities. One of the driving force of modern materialism beyond resources for survival is exploiting an insecure/narcissistic aspect to our personality which derives a sense of identity and life purpose through commodification and alignment with cultural/pop cultural values. In particular it seeks not to be bested by the other, more consciously thought of as 'keeping up with the Joneses', as to be so materially and socially dominated would be equivocal to a personal failure. The concept of individualism giving rise to a sense of.innate indefatigable self worth independent of.external output, what one may cynically refer to as 'snowflake syndrome', is a fairly New Age concept in fact.

Given this, do you agree that some people are just better, objectively, than other people? If yes then do you believe that this superiority is natural and innate e.g. genetic aesthetics-or do you believe one can go from 'lesser' human to 'better' human via improvement of various skills that contribute to one's external utility value to the community?

Scroll to see replies

Everyone is equal pretty much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
It is a depressing notion but I think it may be true. E.g. I have seen numerous posts along the lines of 'he feels.insecure because he knows you're better than him'. This is not in the context of abuse it is in contexts of being financially/aesthetically/socially superior/having better control of emotions etc.

Tyler Durden also said [sic] 'I am better than you in every way'[/sic] Moreover there are lots of.posts around the Internet about 'improving yourself' etc. as well, but it seems this is something some people have to do less than others, which implies they are better than them.

The concept of individuals having no true intrinsic worth and variable extrinsic value is part imo of the double edged sword of meritocracy and is particularly exploited in capitalist communities. One of the driving force of modern materialism beyond resources for survival is exploiting an insecure/narcissistic aspect to our personality which derives a sense of identity and life purpose through commodification and alignment with cultural/pop cultural values. In particular it seeks not to be bested by the other, more consciously thought of as 'keeping up with the Joneses', as to be so materially and socially dominated would be equivocal to a personal failure. The concept of individualism giving rise to a sense of.innate indefatigable self worth independent of.external output, what one may cynically refer to as 'snowflake syndrome', is a fairly New Age concept in fact.

Given this, do you agree that some people are just better, objectively, than other people? If yes then do you believe that this superiority is natural and innate e.g. genetic aesthetics-or do you believe one can go from 'lesser' human to 'better' human via improvement of various skills that contribute to one's external utility value to the community?

Tyler Durden the character from fightclub or Tyler Durden the pathetic misogynistic PUA uberloser?
Everyone is equal, no one is superior nor inferior than each other.
You sound very familiar.
Original post by inachigeek21
Everyone is equal, no one is superior nor inferior than each other.

True say

Its like with grades, people who fail or who do badly don't do work and don't put the effort in but those who do get good grades.

:yep:
All men are not created equal! Some are born smarter, or more beautiful, or with parents of greater status. Some, by contrast, are born weak of body or mind, or with few, if any, talents. All men are different. The very existence of man is discriminatory. That’s why there is war, violence and unrest. Inequality is not evil. Equality is.
Original post by silentshadows
All men are not created equal! Some are born smarter, or more beautiful, or with parents of greater status. Some, by contrast, are born weak of body or mind, or with few, if any, talents. All men are different. The very existence of man is discriminatory. That’s why there is war, violence and unrest. Inequality is not evil. Equality is.

Uh no. Person 1 may be better looking than person 2 but person 2 may be better at music than person 1 thus creating equality

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends how you're defining 'better', really. But objectively, no, people aren't better than others - whatever criteria you're using you'll be measuring based on your own opinions.
Original post by Yeah dude
Uh no. Person 1 may be better looking than person 2 but person 2 may be better at music than person 1 thus creating equality

Posted from TSR Mobile

Person 3 might be **** at everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As much as people decide to push the ideology that 'everyone is good at something', there are some people who simply aren't, who skirt around from place to place with no discernible talent or special ability. It doesn't always balance out so nicely.

Besides, what makes you think that those two situations are remotely comparable? Having better looks and musical proficiency are two completely different skill sets and should be compared in different ways.
Of course some people are better than others. There will always be someone smarter, prettier or funnier than you because nobody is the same :tongue:.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Person 3 might be **** at everything.

Person 3 is not exist, as everyone is awesome at something :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silentshadows
As much as people decide to push the ideology that 'everyone is good at something', there are some people who simply aren't, who skirt around from place to place with no discernible talent or special ability. It doesn't always balance out so nicely.

Besides, what makes you think that those two situations are remotely comparable? Having better looks and musical proficiency are two completely different skill sets and should be compared in different ways.

Uh, yeah I'm almost 100% certain that everyone has their talent but needs to find it

You say those things aren't comparable but they kinda are, except 1 is exterior and one is interior if you like

Posted from TSR Mobile
Person 3 is not exist, as everyone is awesome at something :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess they could be awesome at being ****.
I guess they could be awesome at being ****.

Once again, there are 7 Bil dudes and dudettes as well as dude jrs And there are about to be 9 bill, there are more skills than people so they just gotta find what they enjoy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Inb4 ban.

Original post by Andy98
He's not worth your time Maz :hugs:

To OP all I'm going to say is: "If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole thinking it's stupid."

Silly quote that is used almost as much as Monroe's 'you don't deserve me at my best' silly quote.

You sound very familiar.

Go on.

Say it.

SAY EET.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Arkasia

Go on.

Say it.

SAY EET.

I don't know what you're talking about :innocent:
Reply 18
Original post by Arkasia
Silly quote that is used almost as much as Monroe's 'you don't deserve me at my best' silly quote.

I'm full of them

Original post by the bear
he called himself Kaykz
but he was no great shaykz
when he tried to pull
he made basic mistaykz

PRSOM
I don't know what you're talking about :innocent:

Quick Reply

Latest