The Student Room Group

Non-Muslims, your views on Hijab and discrimination

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arson_fire
Yes, but it`s not evenly spread troughout the country. The town I was born in was <5% muslim when I was born. It`s now >70% muslim and has a sharia arbitration court, which (rightly or wrongly) annoys a lot of the long term residents as they percieve "their" community as being taken over and changed to one that`s alien to them. Some of them choose to vent their feelings by joining the EDL or the BNP.

fair enough, i can totally understand that. I don't know why these muslims feel the need to create their own law because it clearly says in the quran that they should abide by the law of the land they live on. Thats what my family does.
Reply 41
Raghead is a racist term to Arabs, Asians or Muslims. I would say this is more of an issue with racism than Islamophobia because I would imagine they would have said the same thing to someone who was a Sikh, Hindu or Gypsy.
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
Typical of a pro-Islamic argument on this forum: respond to an argument with an insult.

Oh, and I guarantee you I have read more Koranic and Islamic scipture than you, my friend.

Where was the insult? You left an ignorant comment so I congratulated you.. :smile:

Sorry to say I don't believe that. You've already lost all credibility when you stated false facts (99% blah blah). It's pretty clear you have an agenda. But please, do carry on reading and hopefully you can educate yourself more so you don't embarrass yourself with these sweeping statements.
Original post by Sumii95
I'm quite surprised u hold such views about Islam and Muslims after reading "koranic and Islamic scriptures" and having so much knowledge about Islam

Oh, sorry I surprised you.

Whilst I admittedly do not know arabic, I use the the nearest to an approximate rendition into English of the Koran, Pickthalls edition (endorsed by sources in the ulema) regularly in my historical studies, as well as using numerous contemporaneous source material.

I have read and enjoyed many books from pro-Islamic and secular scholars, those of Tom Holland, Hitchens, as well as Tariq Ramadan et al.

And, again, sister you attempt to distort my argument. No where did I state that I have an animosity towards Muslims, only a hatred of Islam.
I'm afraid what you don't understand is that the UK is not an Islamic country. I would not go with my girlfriend to the UAE and wear sleeveless shirts, and her bikinis.

Your first must obey national law and custom over religion, and not 'demand' respect.

The UK is a modern and progressive Christian (and hopefully soon secular) country; covering yourself is an act of exclusion and goes against what, in the opinions of many, this country stands for. This is not 1800s Britain, but 2014 Britain - extreme and backward looking customs cannot be reconciled with British values.
You need to recognise this, and behave accordingly.

Let me say again that I will fight to the death for people of different creeds and colours to be treated equally, but I will also fight against those who ignore and flout the civil liberties that this country values.

Okay, I do understand your point. Believe me I do. But my question is that isn't progressive and modern Britain also about giving people the choice and their right to choose? If I choose to wear a hijab, surely people of progressive and modern Britain with the aim of giving people their right to freedom and choice, should not disrespect me. They can be against it but does this give them the right to disrespect me in a public place?

I appreciate what you said at the very last. But wouldn't it be taking away Muslim women's liberty to dress up how she wants to and the civil liberties that this country values?

And for someone like me who loves Britain so much and feel like it is my home, it is very sad that some people would just not give me respect like they do to other members of the society, reason being I'm a hijabi.
I view it in the same light I do racism
Original post by Good bloke
I don't find it sad at all. It is natural, and usually unconscious.

I disagree. I think it's unfair to insult people for their choice of dress-code. I don't like the fashion sense of most hipsters, emos and goths, but I would never publicly insult these people for wearing the clothes that they do. Also, "raghead" has racist connotations. I don't see how a rational person like you could fail to condemn racism...

In your case, you positively invite it by deliberately dressing in a way that announces to all who meet you that you have particular superstitious views and beliefs, that those beliefs are important enough to you that they should be publically declared, and that you intend that those beliefs should set you apart from those around you.

I don't agree with the nonsensical reasons given for wearing the hijab, but we all have different belief-systems. If the OP believes she has a religious obligation to wear the hijab, they ought to be allowed to wear it without being insulted. Same goes for Christians, Hindus, Sikhs, Rastafarians, secularists, the Amish people, etc.

Your dress is not merely a fashion statement but also a declaration to those that see you that you hold certain views about the world and about how people should behave. It can be seen by some as criticising, and even threatening, their own way of life. It would be strange if some people didn't react.

Unless the OP was running up and down the road shouting "Cover up, you whores!" I don't see how not insulting someone could be considered strange.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 47

Whilst I admittedly do not know arabic, I use the the nearest to an approximate rendition into English of the Koran, Pickthalls edition (endorsed by sources in the ulema) regularly in my historical studies, as well as using numerous contemporaneous source material.

I have read and enjoyed many books from pro-Islamic and secular scholars, those of Tom Holland, Hitchens, as well as Tariq Ramadan et al.

And, again, sister you attempt to distort my argument. No where did I state that I have an animosity towards Muslims, only a hatred of Islam.

I had/have no intention to offend u, honestly I was merely surprised that even after having the knowledge that some people are unfortunate to have u still hold those sort of beliefs and have a hatred towards Islam. I still believe that there is a strong link between your perception of Islam and the way u think Muslims are. And for me Islam is perfect however Muslims aren't and we aren't created to be perfect but rather to strive to better ourself in every way possible. And yes there are people who will disagree with me on that and that is perfectly fine too.
I do sincerely pray that Allah guides u towards that which is best for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Graceful_Lawyer
Okay, I do understand your point. Believe me I do. But my question is that isn't progressive and modern Britain also about giving people the choice and their right to choose? If I choose to wear a hijab, surely people of progressive and modern Britain with the aim of giving people their right to freedom and choice, should not disrespect me. They can be against it but does this give them the right to disrespect me in a public place?

I appreciate what you said at the very last. But wouldn't it be taking away Muslim women's liberty to dress up how she wants to and the civil liberties that this country values?

And for someone like me who loves Britain so much and feel like it is my home, it is very sad that some people would just not give me respect like they do to other members of the society, reason being I'm a hijabi.

Thanks for your reasoned reply. I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear, but I have no personal issue with the Hijab - indeed, many cultures have traditions of covering hair. I think the disrespect issue stems from what it may represent; for some people who may not have a deep understanding of Islam, they see it as an act of 'un-britishness' (for use of a better word), and feel like the Islamic community deliberately excludes itself from wider society with their own schools (Birmingham ie.), ethnic ghettos (the ostensible Tower 'Minarets' in london) and a poor attitude towards personal freedoms and young white girls (Rotheram and the abhorrence of FGM).

All of these issues are real and unfortunately pervade more Islamic communities than I would like, and people who have little knowledge of differing Islamic sects (Shia, Sufi etc.) see all Muslims as homogenous and blame them all as one.

I endorse your right to personal expression, but unfortunately not everyone is as progressive as you. When you many people (on this forum itself) who express fairly extreme Islamic anti-western and liberal views, it is not hard to see where this belief comes from.

Tricky situation.
Original post by Sumii95
I had/have no intention to offend u, honestly I was merely surprised that even after having the knowledge that some people are unfortunate to have u still hold those sort of beliefs and have a hatred towards Islam. I still believe that there is a strong link between your perception of Islam and the way u think Muslims are. And for me Islam is perfect however Muslims aren't and we aren't created to be perfect but rather to strive to better ourself in every way possible. And yes there are people who will disagree with me on that and that is perfectly fine too.
I do sincerely pray that Allah guides u towards that which is best for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For you to say that 'Islam' is perfect, considering you will know better than me that what defines Islam changes with time and sect (Shias, Sufis etc. will disagree).

I personally find it a nasty thought that I was created 'sick' and then should be forced on pain of eternal damnation to be well by following religion. I cannot see a good God behaving like that.

All I ask of you, however, is to have an open mind, do not ignore those who disagree with you but use their views to refine and improve your own belief.

Just as secular thought has improved many Muslim's views of homosexuals, so it can help you on your journey.

As well as reading the Holy Qur'an, read those who dispute some of the assertions it makes - then think for yourself which one you believe, for much more wisdom and happiness will come to you that way.
Reply 50
For you to say that 'Islam' is perfect, considering you will know better than me that what defines Islam changes with time and sect (Shias, Sufis etc. will disagree).

I personally find it a nasty thought that I was created 'sick' and then should be forced on pain of eternal damnation to be well by following religion. I cannot see a good God behaving like that.

All I ask of you, however, is to have an open mind, do not ignore those who disagree with you but use their views to refine and improve your own belief.

Just as secular thought has improved many Muslim's views of homosexuals, so it can help you on your journey.

As well as reading the Holy Qur'an, read those who dispute some of the assertions it makes - then think for yourself which one you believe, for much more wisdom and happiness will come to you that way.

I believe that what defines Islam's stays the same, for it to change the laws stated within the Holy Quran would have to change. which i know will not happen and you mabye to a certain extent know will not happen. However people do give Islam their own definition over time and different sects hold different believe. That's their choice but not everyone will agree. For me Islam has stayed the same and will stay the same till the end of time.

However in regards to your second paragraph I'm sorry to say I honestly don't understand what u mean. And I would be happy if u could expand on that for me.

And yes I keep an open mind to a certain extent and on certain aspect depending of the topic and the nature of the topic. There are many belief that I hold very firmly and there is no questioning or doubting those beliefs for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your reasoned reply. I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear, but I have no personal issue with the Hijab - indeed, many cultures have traditions of covering hair. I think the disrespect issue stems from what it may represent; for some people who may not have a deep understanding of Islam, they see it as an act of 'un-britishness' (for use of a better word), and feel like the Islamic community deliberately excludes itself from wider society with their own schools (Birmingham ie.), ethnic ghettos (the ostensible Tower 'Minarets' in london) and a poor attitude towards personal freedoms and young white girls (Rotheram and the abhorrence of FGM).

All of these issues are real and unfortunately pervade more Islamic communities than I would like, and people who have little knowledge of differing Islamic sects (Shia, Sufi etc.) see all Muslims as homogenous and blame them all as one.

I endorse your right to personal expression, but unfortunately not everyone is as progressive as you. When you many people (on this forum itself) who express fairly extreme Islamic anti-western and liberal views, it is not hard to see where this belief comes from.

Tricky situation.

What do you mean 'reasoned reply'? Anways, I do understand why one would be effected by such issues and show hate. But then again I wear a hijab and when I go out of the country, only I know how much I miss the country. To some this might come across as a shock but the reality is that my hijab isn't going to effect my loyalty to Britain and this is because Islam tells me to be loyal to the country where you live. I agree with you that many do such things because they don't fully understand the sects of Islam. I mean look at how many muslims are against ISIS. The rape cases mostly involve a ethnic issue, not religious. People just confuse these two aspects. Nowhere in Islam rape is allowed. Muslims who do such things are obviously human with weak control over their desires and thus do not obey Islam at first place. And for all this, what other humans do, I get the blame!? Me? why? Just because I wear a hijab and it shows to some that I'm anti-social. Wow, amazing reason to hate on me. A reason that is derived from assumption than reality. In reality, if that person knew me, they would have known how nice I am.

I understand why certain acts of Muslims would lead people to dislike them, but my question is that what about those who are innocent? That person probably doesn't know how bad I felt when he disrespected me in a public place.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think people in the UK are generally respectful of others beliefs, even when they don`t agree with them, but everyone has their limits.

There are people in the UK who genuinely believe that a parent having sex with their children is good as it enhances the parent/child bond. If I saw someone publicly supporting those beliefs i`m not sure I would be able to hold my tongue, or even my fists. There`s something about child abusers that just pushes my buttons and I certainly wouldn`t (couldn`t) give them the same respect as I would to others.

Unfortunately some people have such a strong reaction to some of the practices in islam. I could see why a LGBT person could have such a strong reaction and a total lack of respect for a belief system that has executed thousands of people just like them simply because of their sexuality. Is it reasonable to ask that person to show respect to someone whose belief system could kill them for something they likely have no choice over?

Again, I understand your point too. And to answer your question, may I put forward another question. Is it okay for a non muslim stranger to assume that I would be supportive of the killing of LGBT people? In fact, I'm against it. I'm a Muslim who prays and is very religious. One wouldn't know my beliefs until one gets to know me. I'm against homosexuality but I wouldn't go on killing homosexuals. They're humans too. This doesn't make me a bad muslim because I know that my bond with Allah is strong.
Original post by Graceful_Lawyer
Again, I understand your point too. And to answer your question, may I put forward another question. Is it okay for a non muslim stranger to assume that I would be supportive of the killing of LGBT people? In fact, I'm against it. I'm a Muslim who prays and is very religious. One wouldn't know my beliefs until one gets to know me. I'm against homosexuality but I wouldn't go on killing homosexuals. They're humans too. This doesn't make me a bad muslim because I know that my bond with Allah is strong.

Good to know that you are not a psychopath.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Good to know that you are not a psychopath.

Okay. As a Muslim, I am still against it but I just don't believe they should be killed.
Reply 55
It's the symbol of internalised oppression.

Lol. Sorry but Hitchens is not a secular scholar and he never claimed to be. He was a journalist.
Yeah that guy is just a tosser, simple as.
Original post by ilem
It's the symbol of internalised oppression.

What do you mean?
In an ideal world, no. But I would also say it`s not unreasonable for them to suspect you may have strong issues with them. Islam doesn`t exactly have a reputation for being LGBT friendly! A lot of people don`t have much exposure to Islam beyond what they read or see, and are going to make snap judgements based on what they know. It`s unfair, but it`s life.

Exactly that's my point. Snap judgements! And that's exactly what happened with me yesterday. I just believe that more people should be aware of the discrimination Muslim women face and thus I made this thread and also was wondering how non-muslims would react to this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending