The Student Room Group

Non-Muslims, your views on Hijab and discrimination

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
No need to be horrible to anyone but people shouldn't really inconvenience themselves too much for your arbitrary, inconsequential beliefs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForgetMe
I don't mind them as long as they do no harm to me or my family.

OMG!!! Why would I harm you or your family??? I'm not a terrorist! Please don't generalise. Its very sad to see that people would assume that Muslim women will harm them or their families because they wear a hijab. Stunned! In fact, in this case, I was the victim. Have anything to say on that?
Original post by Ggmu!
No need to be horrible to anyone but people shouldn't really inconvenience themselves too much for your arbitrary, inconsequential beliefs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you wouldn't do what that guy did?
Reply 83
Original post by Graceful_Lawyer
So you wouldn't do what that guy did?

What guy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The guy who passed discriminative/offensive comments about me.
Reply 85
The guy who passed discriminative/offensive comments about me.

Well.. No I wouldn't do that lol. No need to do such a thing... Bit of an odd question to ask me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
Well.. No I wouldn't do that lol. No need to do such a thing... Bit of an odd question to ask me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay good to hear.

Well, I asked you because I think you also have issues with Islamic beliefs, so I was wondering that considering those issues, you may justify what that guy said to me.
Reply 87
Okay good to hear.

Well, I asked you because I think you also have issues with Islamic beliefs, so I was wondering that considering those issues, you may justify what that guy said to me.

Not an issue with Muslims as such, just Islam. I have Muslim friends etc. It's not like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
Not an issue with Muslims as such, just Islam. I have Muslim friends etc. It's not like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok fair enough. And thank you for showing respect!
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
99% of people who wear the Islamic covering are doing it because their spouse/ dad wants them to and because it is what is culturally done. Very few actually do it out of choice.

Indeed, on the Tube in London it is hilarious to see all these people in Hijabs and veils but visibly wearing mascara and eye make-up.

Bit of a joke really, in fact this is a metaphor for all of Islam

Ermm whats wrong with wearing makeup and hijab exactly? I do that . Is makeup only allowed for girls who show their hair? Girls in general wear makeup for themselves. To make themselves feel and look better. Muslim, white black all girls from all cultures do it. Why is it wrong when a muslim girl wears it exactly? And like you were saying about how its in our culture to wear a head covering so is eye makeup. Its been around since the prophets time and is encourages so dont go around talking about our religion and culture when youre ignorant about it.
You might not but you get loads of british people wearing bikinis and shortson jumeira beach in dubai. Personally I think people should be allowes to wear what they like as long as they dont harm people. Having said that I dont agree with the niqaab so much in this country
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
I'm afraid what you don't understand is that the UK is not an Islamic country. I would not go with my girlfriend to the UAE and wear sleeveless shirts, and her bikinis.

Your first must obey national law and custom over religion, and not 'demand' respect.

The UK is a modern and progressive Christian (and hopefully soon secular) country; covering yourself is an act of exclusion and goes against what, in the opinions of many, this country stands for. This is not 1800s Britain, but 2014 Britain - extreme and backward looking customs cannot be reconciled with British values.
You need to recognise this, and behave accordingly.

Let me say again that I will fight to the death for people of different creeds and colours to be treated equally, but I will also fight against those who ignore and flout the civil liberties that this country values.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
I don't see how a rational person like you could fail to condemn racism...

I do condemn racism. Insulting someone for the clothes they wear is not good at all.

I was talking about the barrier to communication that someone wearing overtly religious or otherwise message-bearing clothes puts up. It probably encourages those of an insulting disposition to give vent to their feelings and shows them exactly who to insult. And, of far more importance, it even puts up a barrier that normal people will subconsciously (and far more mildly) react to.
Original post by arson_fire
Hardly surprising when 40% of the people in inner London were born outside the U.K.

Meh. Even amongst those that are born within the UK, UKIP isn't that popular.

People that spend time in areas with high immigrant numbers are less likely to vote for UKIP.
Original post by Good bloke
I do condemn racism. Insulting someone for the clothes they wear is not good at all.

I was talking about the barrier to communication that someone wearing overtly religious or otherwise message-bearing clothes puts up. It probably encourages those of an insulting disposition to give vent to their feelings and shows them exactly who to insult. And, of far more importance, it even puts up a barrier that normal people will subconsciously (and far more mildly) react to.

A hjab isn't a barrier to communication.

People that insult someone with a hjab are racist or have psychiatric issues.
Original post by Sumii95
That figure was quoted in 2011. Islam is the largest growing religion, the number of Muslims around the UK is constantly growing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just thought I say should that Islam is the fastest growing religion because muslim families have a high birth rate :smile: Not because the number of converts to Islam is greater than the number of apostates :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DorianGrayism
A hjab isn't a barrier to communication.

Of course it is. As I said in my first post in this thread, any kind of religious dress or adornment (e.g. veil, burka, headscarf, dreadlocks, kippah, turban, payot) is a barrier to clear communication, and so is the wearing of tattoos, brightly-coloured hair (including a blue or purple rinse), unusual piercings, message-bearing tee shirts, odd mannerisms and so on.

Anything overt outside the normal run can be. It is a well-recognised phenomenon and those who wish to influence how they appear, or how well-received their message is, generally make sure they avoid them. How many barristers feel they can have visible tattoos and still influence a jury, for instance?

Try wearing an Arsenal football or a kippah and payot and going for a walk unaccompanied around Millwall and see how many decent conversations you can hold if you don't believe me.

People that insult someone with a hjab are racist or have psychiatric issues.

They may be, but that is both a generalisation and a judgmental stereotype, neither of which is helpful to this discussion.
Of course it is. As I said in my first post in this thread, any kind of

Well, it isn't. The issue is that you choose not to talk to this people and then blame them for your choice.

They may be, but that is both a generalisation and a judgmental stereotype, neither of which is helpful to this discussion.

Not really. The person is either a racist or has a psychological issue since he had such an abnormal reaction.
The issue is that you choose not to talk to this people and then blame them for your choice.

Nobody said anything about not talking to people, and blame doesn't come into it as the poor or mis-communication is caused subconsciously and neither side understands it is going on.

I suggest you google "barriers to communication". Plenty of business communication advisors and universities have websites touching on the matter.
(edited 9 years ago)
Nobody said anything about not talking to people, and blame doesn't come into it as the poor or mis-communication is caused subconsciously and neither side understands it is going on.

I suggest you google "barriers to communication". Plenty of business communication advisors and universities have websites touching on the matter.

No, you are just attempting to blame the victim in this case by creating some pseudo-scientific nonsense about communication. It is like the person that blames the rape victim by claiming her lack of clothing makes her more likely to be raped.

Let's be serious. This incident has nothing to do with barriers to communication or whatever. There is a racist ( Probably a BNP or UKIP supporter......another stereotype), who hates Muslims and called her a Rag head.

There wasn't anything sub-concious about it. Neither is any University or buisness advisor going to claim that a Hjab is a barrier to communication. You chose to erect that barrier because of your own prejudice.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 99
Not really. Most Londoners have no issues with Muslim numbers. Only people outside the city do.

That is why UKIP is considered a joke in London.

No no, it's a massive problem in cities such as London. White British is on the massive decline in London and could be less than 50% now. One reason is that it is filled with immigrants. The second reason is that is that immigrants tend to have more children. The third reason is "white flight" which means White British people are moving away from London due to the drastic change in the way of life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending