The Student Room Group

5th UCAS choice: Liverpool, Loughborough or Queen Mary for Materials Science?

Hey guys! :smile:

Im looking for a 5th choice for my UCAS application. I currently have:

1-Sheffield
2-Birmingham
3-Manchester
4-Leeds

i don't really have any strong feeling towards any of the 3 universities that I mentioned in the title. Here are the pros and cons of each one.

Liverpool:

Pros:
Great reputation for materials science
In a city
RG

Cons:
I really dislike the fact that it is a joint course with mechanical engineering

Loughborough:

Pros
Great course
Great school spirit

Cons
In the middle of Nowhere
Here I could not qualify for local fee status (I have a complex situation...)

QMUL

Pros
It's in London!
I really like the program
RG

Cons
London might be very expensive

An alternative could be applying to Durham for Physics (which I really like, and is a good reach for me, since it requires 1 point higher than my prediction), but can I do that with a Materials Science Personal Statement?

Which one would you pick?

Thank you so much! :smile:
You can always apply to your 4 choices now and take as long as you like up to the 15th Jan to decide on your 5th choice.

With some luck you'll have an offer or two by then which might make the decision for a 5th choice easier (ie if you've got somewhere you're happy with in the bag then bunging in Physics at Durham is less risky, or if you've got an offer from one of your choices and are happy that will be your firm then you might want to add a choice with lower entry grades to be an insurance option etc etc).
Original post by Summit
Liverpool:

Pros:
Great reputation for materials science
In a city
RG

Cons:
I really dislike the fact that it is a joint course with mechanical engineering

Why do you dislike the fact that it's joint with mechanical? In reality both disciplines compliment each other quite nicely.
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
Why do you dislike the fact that it's joint with mechanical? In reality both disciplines compliment each other quite nicely.

My interests lie elsewhere, I'm more interested in Nanotechnology, Polymers, Biomaterials, Energy, etc... and all my other schools offer joint courses with those disciplines (Manchester offers Materials science with polymers or biomaterials, Sheffield offers biomaterials, Leeds offers Nanotech and birmingham offers joint honours in Energy engineering). I'm afraid that MechEng will not focus enough into these areas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending