The Student Room Group

I'm not sure if I'm cut out to be a teacher

I've wanted to be a teacher since I was a child, I've never even considered another career, recently though I've been wondering if I'm cut out for it, I'm not a natural leader and I'm not particularly good at explaining things, I'm not very confident and I get nervous having to tell children off ... You can see why I'd be apprehensive about my chosen career but I feel like I would disappoint everyone including myself if I don't go for this, I've just finished an English degree but I failed the interviews to get onto a secondary pgce so I'm not attempting to apply for a primary pgce this year, I'm currently doing work experience at a school as a teaching assistant but the teacher told me the other day that she feels I'm not committed enough or engaging enough with the children when I'm there, I thought I was doing well so she has really knocked my confidence and I'm wondering whether I should pursue a different career such as a social worker, any help or advice would be appreciated, any ideas as to a career would be appreciated too I would like to work in a job where I feel like I am making a contribution to society in some way or helping people/animals, thank you in advance
Reply 1
If you don't think you have it to be a teacher - why would you want to be a social worker? Everything about it is worse.

If it fulfils you, I wouldn't worry too much about thinking you're letting people down.
Did the teacher give you any feedback on how you could improve? If they just told you negative stuff then it wasn't particularly constrictive feedback.
Id recomment trying to get experience in a couple of different schools just to get a range of experiences and see whether things get better, it could just be that particular school that doesnt work for you, you never know!
Reply 3
Yeah that is what concerns me about a social worker, but I know there are different areas you can go into in social working, it's just an option because I'm unsure of what else to do
Reply 4
Original post by Ratchit99
Did the teacher give you any feedback on how you could improve? If they just told you negative stuff then it wasn't particularly constrictive feedback.
Id recomment trying to get experience in a couple of different schools just to get a range of experiences and see whether things get better, it could just be that particular school that doesnt work for you, you never know!

Well she said I need to use my initiative more and sit with the children when they are sat on the floor and talk to them about the lesson etc but I didn't want to disturb her teaching, I was thinking about going into a different school but I don't want the teacher to think I left the school because of her as I know her outside of school and she would know I had gone somewhere else
You can't really let this small setback hold you back from a career. If I think back to my work experience or my first ever lessons, I cringe. I don't think I'm the natural born-teacher type and my first interactions with the kids went terribly. But I qualified on outstanding and my first NQT observation has just been outstanding... your confidence and skills build up as you go.

Only you will know whether you could hack it, but if it were me, that wouldn't be enough to put me off.
In the school system its totally accepting of multiple school experience so i think as nice as the friendship is, experience is the priority here and your friend should get that.
Totally understanding what your saying, i was like that at first but i forced myself to talk to them, just make sure theyre doing an activity or something so your not interrupting the teacher just their current activity. If you force yourself to do it a couple of times it becomes easier i promise!
Reply 7
maybe you could consider a different school. Maybe the teacher, whom you know outside of school, is putting too much of her interpretation on things as far as your engagement goes. If you were to go to another school, you could mix what you`re comfortable with and a little bit of her technique - you don`t need to be hovering over pupils the whole time to be a good or effective teacher - you need to watch, and get to know when to stimulate discusion and thought about things.

I would not be concerned about offending anyone - if this person knows you, then they will (or should, at any rate) understand that you have to widen your experiences and obtain fresh perspectives.

Personally, i`ve only had one interview and a lousy presentation (for secondary maths), but this time, i`m DETERMINED to kick some interviewer butt!

If you really WANT to do this, then i think you should.

Believe in yourself - no one else`s opinion counts!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
One of my science teachers told me I'd fail my GCSE in that subject, won't be going to university and I won't enter a profession of any worth because my behaviour wasn't up to his standard. 'A talkative waste of space' were their exact words.

Honestly, do not let the opinion someone has of you hold you back. I had a period of doubt as well back in my teenage years (seem a distant memory now) and then I started working and my confidence grew. Maybe consider doing something else for one or two years until your confidence builds up and then give it another go. If you then get onto a PGCE and feel it isn't for you then at least you can say you tried.
Reply 9
Thank you guys I think I'm going to stick at it and keep trying, it's definitely my confidence that I need to build, think I might try another school as I need a variety anyway, thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending