The Student Room Group

Graded group assignments

I have a group presentation to present in a few weeks, it's worth 30% of my final grade and I'm fairly sure we're going to fail it. Does anyone have any tips on how to successfully do a group presentation when you are stuck in a group with:

- one person who thinks they are 100% right all of the time and won't take any other answer ever. She is usually wrong and also doesn't speak English very well.
- two people who have made it clear that they will do as little work as humanly possible and therefore are about as much use as a chocolate watch. They often both sit on their laptops or their phones throughout the entire group meetings. Neither of them contribute anything. One of them is always at least 20 minutes late. ALWAYS.
- one person who doesn't really care what grade we get and is really anal about equality, so will not do any work at all if the other two aren't doing anything (which is always) because it's "not fair."

I'm seriously tearing my hair out here. There is not one other person in my group that gives a toss. Changing groups isn't a possibility at all, I just need to learn how to work with these people. Any tips from anyone that has been in a similar situation? I'm currently on track for a first in all of my modules and failing this will dramatically impact my grade. Any advice?
Original post by GoingToBurst
I have a group presentation to present in a few weeks, it's worth 30% of my final grade and I'm fairly sure we're going to fail it. Does anyone have any tips on how to successfully do a group presentation when you are stuck in a group with:

- one person who thinks they are 100% right all of the time and won't take any other answer ever. She is usually wrong and also doesn't speak English very well.
- two people who have made it clear that they will do as little work as humanly possible and therefore are about as much use as a chocolate watch. They often both sit on their laptops or their phones throughout the entire group meetings. Neither of them contribute anything. One of them is always at least 20 minutes late. ALWAYS.
- one person who doesn't really care what grade we get and is really anal about equality, so will not do any work at all if the other two aren't doing anything (which is always) because it's "not fair."

I'm seriously tearing my hair out here. There is not one other person in my group that gives a toss. Changing groups isn't a possibility at all, I just need to learn how to work with these people. Any tips from anyone that has been in a similar situation? I'm currently on track for a first in all of my modules and failing this will dramatically impact my grade. Any advice?

Group work can be pain in the arse, especially if you can't chose your own groups. At least you know to avoid these people in the future.

Is it 30% of one module grade, or actually 30% of your final grade?

If it's 30% of your module grade, then I would email the person in charge of the coursework or the module, and explain the situation. Then, suggest you are in charge of putting together the final presentation (if 3 people don't want to do much work, you shouldn't face much argument over this) and do your best. Hopefully this way you can bring the work up to at least a pass mark. Yes, it's not fair, but to me, passing is more important than everyone doing the work.

If it's actually 30% of the final year grade, or 30% of your final degree grade, then I would ask to speak to your course leader or personal tutor and insist that you are allowed to change groups, or at least allowed to compensate for the mark.

Also, imo, full group meetings are often unproductive. If you're having more than 2-3 per piece of coursework, it becomes a waste of time. Instead, set up a private group on fb, or similar, where you can discuss the main issues. Meet once to assign roles (e.g. areas to research) and make sure everyone is clear on what they should do- confirm this via uni email if you can. Assign one person to produce a finished presentation from everyone's research- this should be someone conscientious, ideally you! Meet a second time to confirm everyone is happy with the final product and to rehearse. Meet a third time if further rehearsals are needed.

I hope this helps a bit.

If it's first year, try not to panic, as your grade won't have a big impact on your final grade anyway.
Reply 2
Firstly, ignore anyone who won't contribute - worrying about them is just a drain on your resources. It's sh***y but that's how it'd be in a working environment. They're a block, so go round them. It leaves you with more work but at least you know you can do a better job than them.

I found myself in this situation several times. I just took over and did as much of the work as I could. I made sure that I was always the one who compiled the final presentation, lecture notes, bibliography etc, so I could be sure that it was as correct as I could make it. I also made sure that I was the one who handed it in/submitted it formally, so that it was on time. I let my inner control freak have full reign!

I hated this sort of situation as well, so I sympathise.
I've been told by my lecturers that if you want a good mark you have to be prepared to do it on your own. Which sucks, but if you let the module tutor know the situation then the other people in your group won't get graded well.
Reply 4
Just a heads-up that we were also told that we would be marked down for failing to resolve performance issues within the group. Check the small print on your marking criteria before approaching staff and asking for help e.g. to change groups or to complain about other group members. It could work against you.

Quick Reply

Latest