The Student Room Group

Feel like I need beta blockers for anxiety but I'm too young

My anxiety is very physical compared to mental. I often have a pounding heartbeat, or it's just harder/faster than normal (had tests and my heart is fine). I feel like there's a lot of adrenaline in my body, and I know beta blockers stop the adrenaline from affecting you and it slows your heart rate down. I asked my GP for propranolol (a beta blocker), and it's only listed as an anxiety helping drug for ages 18+ (I'm 17). Its primary use is for heart disease but it is known to help with my situation too.

Is there any other way I can get beta blockers? Is there some other drug which I'm allowed to take and has a similar effect? I've been pretty miserable for the last 3 months, so it is a bit of a last resort to help me through this time.
Best thing to do is go back to your doctor (see another doctor for a second opinion) and talk to them about your problems. Whether or not they will prescribe anything for you is at their discretion, the guideline is 18 and over, but a doctor can prescribe medications to under 18s if they feel it is in their best interests. If not, then they can look into other treatmentoptions to help you.
Reply 2
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Best thing to do is go back to your doctor (see another doctor for a second opinion) and talk to them about your problems. Whether or not they will prescribe anything for you is at their discretion, the guideline is 18 and over, but a doctor can prescribe medications to under 18s if they feel it is in their best interests. If not, then they can look into other treatmentoptions to help you.

Thanks, I've already asked my GP for them but I think he's quite anti-drugs and used the age factor as a reason not to give them to me. I agree to an extent, natural is always better, but I really feel like it would likely improve my life quality. I made this quite clear when I saw my doctor.
You have the right to seek a second opinion from a different doctor if you didn't feel the one you saw dealt with you very well.

Of course it would be better to try fear fighting methods before you try medication or seek counselling. Some way to get to the root of your anxieties and figure out how to deal with them. There are lots of things that can help like breathing techniques, facing your anxieties to desensitise and even perhaps kalms tablets before trying prescription medication.

Quick Reply

Latest