The Student Room Group

Toughness of Neoprene

What is the toughness, NOT FRACTURE TOUGHNESS, of Neoprene. Can anyone help me ??
Reply 1
Very tough?
Original post by Arkasia
Very tough?

I mean in numerical value with units...
Reply 3
Original post by NatureFreak97
I mean in numerical value with units...

As tough as nails (made of neoprene).

In units, it is 47 Gc (Gigacows), which is roughly equivalent to 1.2 Mh (Megaherds)
Just to be sure, are you being serious and what are your sources of this information.
Can anyone seriously help me and provide the source of the information as I need this for my AS Coursework
Reply 6
Can anyone seriously help me and provide the source of the information as I need this for my AS Coursework

We don't know what you want. I'm fairly sure 'toughness' is not a technical term. Do you mean tensile strength? Compression strength? Any of the other 1000 different ways that materials can be strong?
Reply 7
Original post by Arkasia

In units, it is 47 Gc (Gigacows), which is roughly equivalent to 1.2 Mh (Megaherds)

That's ridiculous. You are claiming that 1h=~4000c which is just plain wrong. 1h=2096c.

Some people.
Original post by Arkasia

Legendary post
Reply 9
Original post by lerjj
That's ridiculous. You are claiming that 1h=~4000c which is just plain wrong. 1h=2096c.

Some people.

Thanks for rubbing in the fact I failed my Advanced (Farmer) Physics A-level. Thanks.
Just to be sure, are you being serious and what are your sources of this information.

I watched Countryfile once, I think I know what I am talking about..
What is the toughness, NOT FRACTURE TOUGHNESS, of Neoprene. Can anyone help me ??

Original post by lerjj
We don't know what you want. I'm fairly sure 'toughness' is not a technical term. Do you mean tensile strength? Compression strength? Any of the other 1000 different ways that materials can be strong?

It's a measure of the amount of energy a material can absorb before it fractures.
http://www.engineersedge.com/material_science/toughness.htm

I can only suggest you Google this.
From what I can gather there are no tables, as such, of the toughness of different materials because it depends on a number of factors in addition to the material itself.

There are two definitions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toughness
- the amount of energy per unit volume that a material can absorb before rupturing
- a material's resistance to fracture when stressed

The OP needs to decide which one is required. I assumed it was the former. Your guess is a good as mine.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Stonebridge
It's a measure of the amount of energy a material can absorb before it fractures.
http://www.engineersedge.com/material_science/toughness.htm

I can only suggest you Google this.
From what I can gather there are no tables, as such, of the toughness of different materials because it depends on a number of factors in addition to the material itself.

Woops. The OP did state though that they did not want "fracture toughness" which would seem to describe what you have linked to.
Original post by lerjj
Woops. The OP did state though that they did not want "fracture toughness" which would seem to describe what you have linked to.

There are two definitions, it seems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toughness
One relating to energy and the other to force and stress.
I assume the OP was referring to the former.
Both refer to "fracture".
So your guess is as good as mine.
Maybe the OP could clarify.
Original post by Arkasia
Thanks for rubbing in the fact I failed my Advanced (Farmer) Physics A-level. Thanks.

*BTEC.
Well, this is for the OCR Advanced Physics Materials coursework the definition of toughness we got given was that it was simply the opposite of brittleness. which is stated in the tough definition:

Tough if the material does not break by snapping cleanly. A tough material is resistant to the propagation of cracks. Toughness is the opposite of brittleness. Metals are tough, and break by plastic flow. There is no one simple measure of toughness, but a tough material will dissipate a large amount of energy of energy per unit area of new fracture surface.

but when I search for the toughness of neoprene all I seem to get is the "Fracture Toughness" and loads of pages have different numerical values and different units. So I am unsure.

The breaking stress of neoprene (CR) is also a problem if you could help me there also.
Also can anyone help me on the difference between ultimate tensile stress and ultimate tensile strength as I can only find the strength and I need the STRESS:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest