The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Does imperial (ChemEng) interview every single applicants?

As title say..
Because it said on the website that they do (UK applicants) but isn't that a bit too much..
thanks!
Original post by Saranploy
As title say..
Because it said on the website that they do (UK applicants) but isn't that a bit too much..
thanks!

Where does it say that? This page says they'd only invite you to inteview if "you are likely to satisfy our requirements" which certainly isn't every applicant.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
As title say..
thanks!

They don't interview all applicants. Only the ones who look likely to meet their entry requirements.
Reply 3
As stated above. But if you *do* get an interview, then you're nearly guaranteed an offer.
Reply 4
No, last year lots of people got rejected after interview:frown:. They only have so many spaces, and last year they saved quite a few for internationals who seemed to get places at the last minute. Either with interviews abroad or phone interviews. But if you live in the UK, yes, you will be interviewed if they feel you are a strong enough candidate, and after that its up to you to do your best!! Good luck
Reply 5
Sorry, forgot to "quote". This was in reply to TVIO's post above
Reply 6
Original post by Enattente
Sorry, forgot to "quote". This was in reply to TVIO's post above

I suppose it varies by department, but for computer science over 87% of interviewees got offers last year. These are statistics directly from Imperial
Reply 7
Original post by TVIO
I suppose it varies by department, but for computer science over 87% of interviewees got offers last year. These are statistics directly from Imperial

Yes, I am sure it does, but the Computing Department only interviews a third of its applicants. And I think there are variations every year. Last year there were increased applications to Chem Eng due (perhaps due to an article promoting it as one of the best paid professions). I would stop worrying about statistics and if you get an interview give it your best shot and hopefully you will stand as much chance as anybody else. Don't forget that the course is VERY maths based and so most interviews involve maths, and more maths!!!
Reply 8
Original post by Chlorophile
Where does it say that? This page says they'd only invite you to inteview if "you are likely to satisfy our requirements" which certainly isn't every applicant.

Thanks ! Sorry I must have misread it. Stupid me.
Reply 9
Original post by TVIO

Do you know if there are stats for Chemical Engineering as well? I can't find it anywhere.Thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by Enattente
Yes, I am sure it does, but the Computing Department only interviews a third of its applicants. And I think there are variations every year. Last year there were increased applications to Chem Eng due (perhaps due to an article promoting it as one of the best paid professions). I would stop worrying about statistics and if you get an interview give it your best shot and hopefully you will stand as much chance as anybody else. Don't forget that the course is VERY maths based and so most interviews involve maths, and more maths!!!

Thank you ! I have an interview on the 12th of November so I'll probably spend next weeks doing Maths questions and consolidate integration and differentiation.
Reply 11
Do you know if there are stats for Chemical Engineering as well? I can't find it anywhere.Thanks!

Not sure, as those computing stats were only released due to a freedom of request (FOI) to Imperial. You could do the same, but I'm not sure how long it would take for you to get thw info.
Original post by TVIO
Not sure, as those computing stats were only released due to a freedom of request (FOI) to Imperial. You could do the same, but I'm not sure how long it would take for you to get thw info.

Doesn't it take up to a minimum of 20 working days? Also, I'd be surprised if it was open to the public and not just Imperial students/staff.
Reply 13
Original post by blabbadyblah
Doesn't it take up to a minimum of 20 working days? Also, I'd be surprised if it was open to the public and not just Imperial students/staff.

Maximum of 20 days. Here's the stats fpforr computing in case anyone was interested https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/interview_statistics_computing
Original post by TVIO
Maximum of 20 days. Here's the stats fpforr computing in case anyone was interested https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/interview_statistics_computing

Just to point out, as I'm sure you have noticed, that the stats are for the September 2013 entry. I'm not sure how they compare with the September 2014 for computing where the quota was 7:1. But I know the department is said to be "oversubscribed" and it seems some were rejected after interview or just narrowly missing their offers. And many of the offers were high - some of them even included Step papers or similar exams. I think for Chem Eng it was even harder to secure one of the 200 places, but as I stated above, stop obsessing about statistics and concentrate on giving your best in your Personal Statement and do your best at interview. All interviews seem to be different. Having followed the thread for Chem Eng last year some people had cosy interviews, and some people had multiple maths questions. Just be prepared for either and read through the Chem Eng Applicants 2014. Although its not just relevant to Imperial, there is quite a lot of info to be gleaned about the interviews etc.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest