The Student Room Group

Which books are these from?

If anyone knows which books these are from, or can point me in their direction that would be wonderful (found them on here in the revision section, and have searched through some books but so far have no luck):

Plowden: “Suggests early experience of the correlation between sex and violent death was deep in her subconscious”Taylor Smith: “Elizabeth adopts a male role of dominance, aggression etc. which made it impossible for the subservient role of marriage”Jordan: “Avoided marriage due to the risk of losing control like Mary I, not marrying elevate her rank as a female ruler”Hurstfield: “Marriage and motherhood would temporarily limit the authority and power to rule she would hate this”Graves: “When there were clashes, they were of no long term significance mostly because the opposition was neither organised nor strong enough to prevent a serious challenge to the Queen”Elton: “Many of the members of the upper house had such powers of patronage that they were able to control or influence members of the Commons and ensure that they did their bidding. They limited the lower House’s independence”Pollard: “Elizabeth, as monarch, would never have willingly refused the chance of producing an heir to carry on the Tudor line and to secure the throne, so she must have had no choice in the matter, a physical defect which made childbearing impossible”

Also, does anyone happen to know where I can find an online version of Joseph Levine's Great Lives Observed: Elizabeth I, as I need a quote and also page no for the bit on Levine being of the opinion Elizabeth always had her way, and parliament had little privileges and were dismissed/called at Elizabeth's desire as well as trying to be submissive to her intentions? Can't remember where I found this, and can't find it in any book stores or libraries!

Many thanks :-)
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Hi there,
Can only help with a few at the moment as I am still on the hunt for the source of these quotes too!

Alison Plowden: ‘Marriage with my Kingdom’ 1977 p.160

Joel Hurstfield, ‘Elizabeth I and the Unity of England’, 1960, p.40.

Constance Jordan, ‘Womens Rule’ p.429. (Can't be 100% on this one but some deep dark corner of the internet said the quote came from this book)

I honestly can't find anything on 'Taylor Smith'
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by LizardQueen97
Hi there,
Can only help with a few at the moment as I am still on the hunt for the source of these quotes too!

Alison Plowden: ‘Marriage with my Kingdom’ 1977 p.160

Joel Hurstfield, ‘Elizabeth I and the Unity of England’, 1960, p.40.

Constance Jordan, ‘Womens Rule’ p.429. (Can't be 100% on this one but some deep dark corner of the internet said the quote came from this book)

I honestly can't find anything on 'Taylor Smith'
Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much!
Found Larissa Taylor Smither (if the same?!) on page 5 on Susan Doran's Monarchy & Matrimony: The Courtships of Elizabeth I if that is any help :-)
Reply 4
Citation people - you are lifesavers! Thank you!
Reply 5
If you want a more specific citation for Jordan, it's a JSTOR article: Jordan, Constance. “Woman’s Rule in Sixteenth-Century British Political Thought.” Renaissance Quarterly, vol. 40, no. 3, [The University of Chicago Press, Renaissance Society of America], 1987, pg. 429.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending