The Student Room Group

AS/A2 Chemistry revision help

Right, so last year I flunked AS Chem as I stupidly did not put much effort into revising or anything so I have resolved to work harder this year to do well. I had intended to revise through most days of the week but I have encountered a problem; I really don't know how to do this effectively.Allow me to elaborate:

What would happen is I would try to revise but feel like nothing is sinking in and eventually I give up. I have tried a few methods. For instance, I would read through the CGP books provided and write notes about the topic, but I found this to be greatly ineffective as it does not explain the complex exam questions that come up. I also feel that it does not explain things well and my note-taking ability is rather poor as in I tend to take notes that aren't important, and I my notes are too long winded.
I have also tried doing some exam questions and evaluating the answers using the mark scheme, but this also proves ineffective as sometimes there would be an answer I simply do not understand, and it does not elaborate how it works.

So with this in mind, please, what are effective ways for me to revise? I am desperate to do well and feel that I finally have the initiative to revise, I think that if I had a good way to revise I could succeed in my efforts.

Bonus question: Are there any books that could be useful as revision tools (aside from the aforementioned CGP books)

Thank you in advance.
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Someone please help
I totally get what you're feeling, a bunch of notes which are fabulous are goalby chem notes, especially for chem 2 - learn them off by heart

- forA2, CGP book is fabulous
- some people (inc me) writing notes doesn't work,it's a matter of memory, my friends all used to make colourful notes once and after that it worked for them to just read them, for me, I make super rough mind maps again and again and then what you need to do is write a paragraph on the subject off by heart

Then look at it and see what you missed out and go over it
Write the paragraph again

Or alternatively there's loads of memory techniques you can use and research

What you should also do is keep on doing past papers and of nothing makes sense then you should keep doing them repeatedly again and again and watch tutorials if you don't get it

Trust me, you'll get though it !!! In terms of books, I swear by these goalby notes and can't say for AS but for A2, the CGP study book is very very good. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
In terms of not getting questions, every time you don't get one, note it down and don't forget to ask your teacher, ask help when you need it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by tr3sbelle
I totally get what you're feeling, a bunch of notes which are fabulous are goalby chem notes, especially for chem 2 - learn them off by heart

- forA2, CGP book is fabulous
- some people (inc me) writing notes doesn't work,it's a matter of memory, my friends all used to make colourful notes once and after that it worked for them to just read them, for me, I make super rough mind maps again and again and then what you need to do is write a paragraph on the subject off by heart

Then look at it and see what you missed out and go over it
Write the paragraph again

Or alternatively there's loads of memory techniques you can use and research

What you should also do is keep on doing past papers and of nothing makes sense then you should keep doing them repeatedly again and again and watch tutorials if you don't get it

Trust me, you'll get though it !!! In terms of books, I swear by these goalby notes and can't say for AS but for A2, the CGP study book is very very good. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay I will take heed of your advice. Thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest