The Student Room Group

Applied or statistics??? How do I know??

When I was on A level I hated statistics, that was so boring. Formula, test, Formula diagram, etc. Nobody bother to explain me properly material, interest me with it and learn me to understand the problems. I am on really good Uni, not the best one in the ranking, but the best one for me. I love my Uni, and one of reasons is that they do bother. Now, the subjects that I thought were cool are not actually so cool, but probability or calculus are really nice, especially probability and statistics. But hold on, I did on A level S1 statistics and I had A because I had A on every module but I dislike it and now in my free time I am taking probability book and read with pleasure. What's going on?? I will have to decide before finish of the year what route I want to take: Pure, Applied, Statistics. I consider possibility that Pure is not the best one. Again, after M1 and S1 I thought to apply even on Pure Mathematics degree and now I found out that this is like heaven that on 1st year we have compulsory modules. Nothing looks the same as on college. How I can find out what kind of mathematician I am: applied, statistician or pure??
Original post by MatureIsGood:))
When I was on A level I hated statistics, that was so boring. Formula, test, Formula diagram, etc. Nobody bother to explain me properly material, interest me with it and learn me to understand the problems. I am on really good Uni, not the best one in the ranking, but the best one for me. I love my Uni, and one of reasons is that they do bother. Now, the subjects that I thought were cool are not actually so cool, but probability or calculus are really nice, especially probability and statistics. But hold on, I did on A level S1 statistics and I had A because I had A on every module but I dislike it and now in my free time I am taking probability book and read with pleasure. What's going on?? I will have to decide before finish of the year what route I want to take: Pure, Applied, Statistics. I consider possibility that Pure is not the best one. Again, after M1 and S1 I thought to apply even on Pure Mathematics degree and now I found out that this is like heaven that on 1st year we have compulsory modules. Nothing looks the same as on college. How I can find out what kind of mathematician I am: applied, statistician or pure??

Do you not still have one more semester of doing your current modules before you have to decide?
I'm not sure how you decide tbh. I just kinda know I like applied maths and want to do that!
Reply 2
Maths at uni does change compared to at a-level and hence the areas that you enjoy could change as well. From what you've said, it sounds like you're more interested in the statistics side so maybe then go for that.

Personally when I studied maths at uni I found the statistics modules really interesting, and also easier and they tended to give me higher marks. But of course it can be different for different people.

Quick Reply

Latest