The Student Room Group

AQA physics unit 4 help needed with Magnetic Flux density!

Hello! I'm am external student I'm studying physics, chemistry, maths and biology. I've hit a wall with physics unit 4 on the magnetic flux density topic. I just can't get it into my head and was wondering whether you have any fun ways to memorize things? I just don't understand flux density, flux linkage and how they are connected to emf. I just can't get it no idea why!!
Anyone have any useful techniques or interesting ways to remember?
Original post by Hexaneandheels
Hello! I'm am external student I'm studying physics, chemistry, maths and biology. I've hit a wall with physics unit 4 on the magnetic flux density topic. I just can't get it into my head and was wondering whether you have any fun ways to memorize things? I just don't understand flux density, flux linkage and how they are connected to emf. I just can't get it no idea why!!

Is there a particular concept you don't understand or is it the whole thing?

I found that actually watching experiments related to the actual physical topics fairly useful. That then allowed me to see a practical use of the theory.
thank you, yes I feel the whole concept is confusing. I'll do what you say though, will watch some youtube videos on this topic!! :smile:
Original post by Slowbro93
Is there a particular concept you don't understand or is it the whole thing?

I found that actually watching experiments related to the actual physical topics fairly useful. That then allowed me to see a practical use of the theory.
thank you, yes I feel the whole concept is confusing. I'll do what you say though, will watch some youtube videos on this topic!! :smile:

What is your general understanding about flux?
I understand it's the number of magnetic field lines in a given area, but I struggle to understand flux linkage...I know that when you move a conductor through a magnetic field it induces an e.m f so if the flux is cut an emf well be induced...but I'm confused about flux linkage and the theory that follows ie from the Faraday's Law and Lenz's law.
I understand it's the number of magnetic field lines in a given area, but I struggle to understand flux linkage...I know that when you move a conductor through a magnetic field it induces an e.m f so if the flux is cut an emf well be induced...but I'm confused about flux linkage and the theory that follows ie from the Faraday's Law and Lenz's law.

Have a look at this video (I've done flux but in a much more complicated way within my degree)

Your idea of flux is right though, I think you are getting terms mixed up though.

I would recommend:

Get your head around the main difference between flux linkage and magnetic flux

Then once you get your head around that, consider looking into the actual theories

That's how I tackled A level physics (and my degree) :yep:
Reply 6

I'll try and find the links, but there's a Physics Revision series on youtube by a guy called DrPhysicsA and his electromagnetism videos are really helpful!

Found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc8Vay7mRss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8HjKOLqxn4
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you so much, I'll check it out right now!!

Yes I feel you are right I need to get my head around them, do many others find the concept difficult to grasp also?
Original post by Slowbro93
Have a look at this video (I've done flux but in a much more complicated way within my degree)

Your idea of flux is right though, I think you are getting terms mixed up though.

I would recommend:

Get your head around the main difference between flux linkage and magnetic flux

Then once you get your head around that, consider looking into the actual theories

That's how I tackled A level physics (and my degree) :yep:

Yes I feel you are right I need to get my head around them, do many others find the concept difficult to grasp also?

I found it very hard to get my head around and it was my toughest topic at A Level imo. But once you get it, it's actually straight forward :smile:
Reply 9

Purely based on the spread of questions on TSR... electromagnetism is the hardest topic at A level.
And you'll find any number of threads here where the same question has been asked about flux, flux density and flux linkage. And you'll find any number where I've replied with an explanation. Just do a search.
And you'll find any number of threads here where the same question has been asked about flux, flux density and flux linkage. And you'll find any number where I've replied with an explanation. Just do a search.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=34555369
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=36566701
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=41019688

Quick Reply

Latest