The Student Room Group

If you're friends with your ex, you never actually loved them.

How much do you agree with this statement ?
Strongly disagree.
Disagree
Agree.
Original post by Anonymous
How much do you agree with this statement ?

The complete opposite is true I think if you are friends after you have split up with someone then it shows that it wasn't just the sexual relationship that was keeping you together.My mam and dad are really good friends and they have divorced each other, they help each other out a lot this may be partially due to the fact that they have children though but the extent of the friendship is very strong eg.my dad helped my mam plan her mother's funeral, looked after her mother when she couldn't, helps her find places that she needs to go to etc.
Reply 5
Original post by Dalek1099
The complete opposite is true I think if you are friends after you have split up with someone then it shows that it wasn't just the sexual relationship that was keeping you together.My mam and dad are really good friends and they have divorced each other, they help each other out a lot this may be partially due to the fact that they have children though but the extent of the friendship is very strong eg.my dad helped my mam plan her mother's funeral, looked after her mother when she couldn't, helps her find places that she needs to go to etc.

I think the scenario gets more complex when children are involved because you're forced to cooperate.

At least in my case it has rung true. I have recently noticed that I have remained friends with the mediocre relationships but the ones I've properly loved in the past, even though they were years ago and I haven't spoken to them since, I know I'd never be able to just be friends with them.
Strongly agree, I said this earlier xD
Reply 7
Disagree to an extent. Depends on both people and the circumstances around the break up.
Reply 8
Depends on what kind friendship you have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Foo.mp3
Horse ****. 'If you really love someone, set them free'

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's irrelevant though. I set one of my relationships free a few years ago because it was best for them.

But if they rang me and we started chatting again, it wouldn't just lead to a typical friendship. I'd never see them in that way.
I'd say there's a stronger correlation between the reason for breakup and whether a friendship can exist afterwards.
Original post by Dalek1099

This. IMO means you truly appreciated them as a person and would rather have some sort of relationship with them.
Reply 12
Rubbish.

It depends a lot on -why- the break-up happened, involved parties and a whole bunch of other situation specific stuff.
This is honestly a very subjective thing there could be many factors as to why you remain friends e.g children, you see each other everyday at work etc, you want to start over as friends and see what happens. I believe that if you remain friends with your ex then you probably never truly loved them especially if you know your ex still loves you but you just keep them as a friend then that's quite cruel. To remain friends with an ex shows that you want them to remain in your life you'll always feel some sort of closeness to them never under any circumstances though become friends with your ex if you know they still feel love but all you want is a friend because in a way that's using them for emotional attachment they'll never be more than that but you are allowing them to think it might so if you've both mutually agreed to only ever be friends great if you've both mutually agreed to become friends then see what happens great. Otherwise you'll hurt them if you're dating but they think you might date them so come to a mutual agreement of things before becoming friends with your ex or just let them go
I just find remaining friends with an ex weird. I don't understand the thought process behind maintaining a friendship. Each to their own I suppose.
Reply 15
Original post by ToastyCoke
Agree.

Original post by R0ckTillWeDr0p
Strongly agree, I said this earlier xD

Agree due to personal experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending