The Student Room Group

Quitting My First Job

I recently started work at a cinema and I hate it. I'm socially anxious and shy and awkward and find the job stresses me out to the point I'm too upset to want to go in. I have been there for about a week but I really hate it. Should I quit? And does it matter that it's my first job and I'm quitting already?
I would say because it's you're first job you're still nervous about it and it's a new experience and something you've not done before. Give some more time and see how you settle in. It's not easy to make new friends and yes it does take time. When I had first got a job I didn't know what to expect and there was a time when I wondered why I had a job but then I began to enjoy it each day and I'm so glad I had gained so much experience from it because when I left that job I had so many job opportunities from so many well known companies.

Before you make a decision just remember that you've only had this job for a week and when in the future you want to get another job they're gonna wanna know about past experiences and may even ask for reference from the previous employer. You wanna look as good as you can. Don't leave the job for any reason such as not liking it because they gave you the opportunity and now it's your chance to shine and show them they done the right thing!

The choice is yours and I wish you the best of luck for whatever you do. Just don't make a decision in a hurry x
Reply 2
Original post by Jessyt
I recently started work at a cinema and I hate it. I'm socially anxious and shy and awkward and find the job stresses me out to the point I'm too upset to want to go in. I have been there for about a week but I really hate it. Should I quit? And does it matter that it's my first job and I'm quitting already?

If you can, I would give it some time. In the first week of my first job I didn't know how to talk to customers and wasn't very confident as I didn't know the prices of things, etc. It really does get easier very quickly after that - you'll get accustomed to your job, the people and how to do things. If you still feel that nothing has improved in a week or two then speak with your manager about how you feel.
I used to suffer really bad with anxiety and nerves especially at the time I started my first ever job. I found sticking it out really helped me as I learned to calm my anxiety and sort of tackle it. I would try and stick it out for a bit longer because your confidence will come, believe me I never thought I'd stay at mine but I ended up being employed for 16 months and changed myself for the better.

But If you still feel upset and still hate it after a while then I would quit because there is no point being in a job if it makes you miserable. However I would look for another job or make sure you've got someone to help you with money etc. as there is nothing worse then leaving a job and finding yourself not being able to find another one.

Good luck and don't let it get you down :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest