The Student Room Group

Which Lift Did You Find Hardest to Master?

So since I've got nothing better to do tonight before the American football starts, I was thinking about learning the primary lifts, such as squat, deadlift, press, etc.

What lift did you find hardest to master?

For me it was the bench press. With the squat and the deadlift I looked at all the various moving parts and I was ready to learn it all. In the case of the bench, it's deceptively technical. I started out figuring that since I've done it on San Andreas with CJ you just lay on a bench and press weight away from face. It took me weeks to find out I was doing it wrong and it's actually one of the most technical lifts there is.
Reply 1
squat. only really learnt it recently, used to kill my traps and neck unless i used the pad, now i low bar and its a lot better. deadlift came so naturally and bench was just fine
I started lifting in August so I'm still pretty new, still struggling with the overhead press. I still can't press an empty bar for 5x5 and I'm thinking of going back to dumbbells and working on it a bit more. As well as this I have just taken some weight off my squat and am working on form as I felt I don't get low enough. Oh and I struggle with the deadlift because of grip.... Lol the only lift I like is the split squat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
OHP and squat came quite naturally to me, never had to think much about my technique.
Bench I got ok quite easily then had to put a fair bit of time into having good technique but I didn't find it difficult.
Deadlits have been an endless pain in my ass because of injury but I don't find it hard to work out what's wrong and make myself fix it.
Front squats I have to work most for because of mobility which isn't actually hard, just time consuming.
Power cleans are the only thing I've found really hard, I've gave up on trying to teach myself but maybe will try again if I ever have someone to teach me.

Original post by Genocidal
I started out figuring that since I've done it on San Andreas with CJ you just lay on a bench and press weight away from face.

:lol:
Press is easy. You press it. Done.

Squats I found easy.

Bench us alright. It's easy to bench badly but you can gain a lot with good technique which I'm still learning after three years.

Deadlifts is a pile of poo. Thought I'd made a major breakthrough recently but then I had a bad session so I'm not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bench. My leg genetics are good so bossed the lower body lifts pretty quickly. My bench is still relatively weak for my weight after close to a year of training
Original post by Motorbiker

Squats I found easy.

Bench us alright. It's easy to bench badly but you can gain a lot with good technique which I'm still learning after three years.

Deadlifts is a pile of poo. Thought I'd made a major breakthrough recently but then I had a bad session so I'm not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Referring to that video of you pulling 210?

Have you ever experimented with how you deadlift? bar roll/upper back rounding etc etc.
Squats - i still can't do them properly
They're a necessary evil
Reply 8
I've probably worked on my squat technique the most of the 3 power lifts. I'd say it's pretty damn good tbh. Front squats were a bit harder to get the good rack position.

Deadlift technique came pretty easily, the only thing I found hard was remembering to keep my bum down. Don't deadlift any more, only clean and snatch deadlifts.

I suck at all pressing. When I trained bench I always found it really hard to get a decent bar path.

Now I would say the jerk is the hardest lift for me.
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Referring to that video of you pulling 210?

Have you ever experimented with how you deadlift? bar roll/upper back rounding etc etc.

Experimented lots but never with bar roll and not recently with upper back rounding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
18 inch deadlift
If I trained it more (i.e. attempted to "master" it, rather than just doing it every few months), I'd say deadlift.
Otherwise, probably Jerk. Was stuck around the 70-80kg mark for months before it all started coming together. It was annoying as I hit a 90kg clean long before I could jerk anything above 70kg consistently.
Snatch is a ***** but hasn't really got stuck for months on end.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Motorbiker

Squats I found easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How to deadlift: pick up a bar
Original post by anonwinner
How to deadlift: pick up a bar

How much do you deadlift out of interest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
18 inch deadlift

Oh you
Sometimes I have trouble with the NHS lifts, but the lifts in the London tube were definitely the hardest to master. Took me several tries before I figured it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest