The Student Room Group

Does the means justify the ends?

:curious:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
NEVER

The most evil principle because when demonstrated it can be used to justify the suspension of morality to commit the most heinous acts, terrorism, genocide, eugenics, all of these are based on this principle or some modification of it.
Depends on the person really. If you have a moral code of principles you strongly believe in then it doesn't. But if you don't, then yes it does.
Reply 3
Do the means justify the ends? No. Even if you kill someone 'humanely', you're still violating their preference to live. Means and motives are somewhat irrelevant - consequences are largely what matter.

This is why the reverse of the question, 'do the ends justify the means?' is true for me. If I had to murder one person to save one million, I would. The ends would be that 999,999 net people live, which justifies the means - the use of violence and the act of murder.
Reply 4
While the reverse of this statement is questionable, the means definitely do not justify the ends.
Reply 5
Original post by viddy9
Do the means justify the ends? No. Even if you kill someone 'humanely', you're still violating their preference to live. Means and motives are somewhat irrelevant - consequences are largely what matter.

This is why the reverse of the question, 'do the ends justify the means?' is true for me. If I had to murder one person to save one million, I would. The ends would be that 999,999 net people live, which justifies the means - the use of violence and the act of murder.

I wouldn't. You can't quantify life like that.
Reply 6
Yes, I will have to agree with Bentham. But I guess it subjective I terms of what moral obligations are involved as well as how ethic the means are. But in majority of cases I will utilise utilitarianism.
Reply 7
Original post by DErasmus
I wouldn't. You can't quantify life like that.

You wouldn't kill even one person to save 1 million, 1 billion, the entire planet Earth? An interesting view - you're probably in the minority there, although I am in the minority when I apply such utilitarian calculations to a situation in which one person would have to be killed to save five people. Your view is probably the most consistent non-utilitarian one, as opposed to believing that it is justifiable to kill one person to save many at an arbitrary point when the 'many' really becomes 'too many', but not below this point.

Are you a follower of Kant?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by viddy9
You wouldn't kill even one person to save 1 million, 1 billion, the entire planet Earth? An interesting view - you're probably in the minority there, although I am in the minority when I apply such utilitarian calculations to a situation in which one person would have to be killed to save five people. Your view is probably the most consistent non-utilitarian one, as opposed to believing that it is justifiable to kill one person to save many at an arbitrary point when the 'many' really becomes 'too many', but not below this point.

Are you a follower of Kant?

Not intentionally, I don't believe in the categorical imperative although I think duty is important. Really I think it's a question of the value of human life, to quantify human life like that I think it negates what it means to be human, the question of how many people does not come into it for me because whether or not we talk about 1 or 50000 people each and everyone of them will suffer individually, to say for example that killing 50 people would cause more suffering than 1 I think misses the point that 1 person has to suffer at the expense of 50 people who would have all felt what that 1 person would have felt.

I might not have clarified that well...

Suffering is personal to the individual, so whether it is 1 or 100 they all suffer individually. It is unfair for me to decide to make someone suffer to stop the suffering of others.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by DErasmus
Not intentionally, I don't believe in the categorical imperative although I think duty is important. Really I think it's a question of the value of human life, to quantify human life like that I think it negates what it means to be human, the question of how many people does not come into it for me because whether or not we talk about 1 or 50000 people each and everyone of them will suffer individually, to say for example that killing 50 people would cause more suffering than 1 I think misses the point that 1 person has to suffer at the expense of 50 people who would have all felt what that 1 person would have felt.

I might not have clarified that well...

Suffering is personal to the individual, so whether it is 1 or 100 they all suffer individually. It is unfair for me to decide to make someone suffer to stop the suffering of others.

Oh yes, I've come across this before. I can't really argue against it - in the end morality is based on personal whim: I'm more concerned about consistency in morality after a system has been chosen.

I suppose, for me, my whim is based on the same whim that makes many people view World War 2 as, say, worse than the Crimean War - more people died. However, it is also true that everybody experiences suffering individually.
Reply 10
Original post by viddy9

You worte : ''consequences are largely what matter.''
Why?? what is the logic when bad impact is more important than a good intent or a good reason??
Reply 11
Original post by Quma
You worte : ''consequences are largely what matter.''
Why?? what is the logic when bad impact is more important than a good intent or a good reason??

People can have all the good intentions they want, but it wouldn't make a difference in the end. If someone has a terminal illness, and they are in pain and want to die, they should be allowed to, in my opinion, and if someone stops them from doing so, however good their intentions are, they've still caused the unnecessary suffering of someone.

This is just my opinion, others may think that motives are more important, but it's the consequences that we deal with and have to live with at the end of the day. In any case, plenty of people have probably thought that their actions were justified simply because their motives were good - Hitler believed in the superiority of the Aryan race, so to him, he was perfectly justified in what he did - he probably believed that his motives were pure, and used them to justify the ends.
Reply 12
Original post by viddy9
People can have all the good intentions they want, but it wouldn't make a difference in the end. If someone has a terminal illness, and they are in pain and want to die, they should be allowed to, in my opinion, and if someone stops them from doing so, however good their intentions are, they've still caused the unnecessary suffering of someone.

This is just my opinion, others may think that motives are more important, but it's the consequences that we deal with and have to live with at the end of the day. In any case, plenty of people have probably thought that their actions were justified simply because their motives were good - Hitler believed in the superiority of the Aryan race, so to him, he was perfectly justified in what he did - he probably believed that his motives were pure, and used them to justify the ends.

What do you mean by it wouldn't make a difference in the end?
Original post by Adejinmi
:curious:

Did you mean to ask if the end justifies the means?
Never. And utilitarianism, in that context, makes a nice home for psychopaths.
Reply 15
Original post by Chillaxer

Why never?
Original post by Quma
Why never?

Original post by Chillaxer

^.^
Reply 17
Original post by Quma
What do you mean by it wouldn't make a difference in the end?

People's good intentions won't change the outcome of an act.
Reply 18
Original post by viddy9
People's good intentions won't change the outcome of an act.

Can you give an example?
Reply 19
Is there a connection between the meaning and the end??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending