The Student Room Group

Extremely motivated to get a good GCSE English grade

Hi guys,

At the moment I am studying GCSE English Language and I am in need of serious help.

Basically I am tired of being an average C/D grade student I would like to know what seperates these students to A grade students. I would like to know key things I should work on as from now - I really don't know how to study for English GCSE.

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gcseenglish
Hi guys,

At the moment I am studying GCSE English Language and I am in need of serious help.

Basically I am tired of being an average C/D grade student I would like to know what seperates these students to A grade students. I would like to know key things I should work on as from now - I really don't know how to study for English GCSE.

Thank you

hate english too, just read loads and watch news etc to make your vocabulary sound more sophisticated
Reply 2
OK bro, thanks for posting a thread about this, telling us you're extremely motivated to get a good GCSE English grade. So good luck on getting a good GCSE English grade. I really hope you get a good GCSE English grade. It's great to know that you're motivated to get a good GCSE English grade. Good luck with your good GCSE English grade.
Reply 3
Hi guys,

Thank you

Is there a specific topic you think you're weak in? I'm better at English Literature but I'm targeted an A* for both. I think sophisticated language and having an interest in English really makes it easy. I love English and would be happy to help you more.
Reply 4
Original post by Daniella4
Is there a specific topic you think you're weak in? I'm better at English Literature but I'm targeted an A* for both. I think sophisticated language and having an interest in English really makes it easy. I love English and would be happy to help you more.

Well I am doing English language but it also consists of literature reading .The literature reading involves 'of mice and men' and Romeo and Juliet Basically I need help in creative writing and literature reading . What gets me high marks in creative writing and literature reading.
Hi guys,

Thank you

For creative writing, just read loads of books. It should help your grammar and also your general writing skills. At least, that's the way I 'revise'. :wink:

For literature reading, um... Important themes? Quotes for important themes? Not really sure as I'm taking IGCSE which might be different so can only offer advice from what I've been told for IGCSE... :smile:
Reply 6
I'm hoping to achieve a grade A at GCSE English Lang&Lit, but working at a B at the moment. If you need any help feel free to message me :smile:
My advice is make a lot of points and go into as much depth as possible; using sophisticated vocabulary as English Language is HARSHLY marked on sentence construction and language (use of words and how carefully they are chosen)
Hi guys,

Thank you

EnglishBiz

End of story! :smile:
Reply 8
I did English Language last year and got an a*, I would suggest that you just do a lot of practice exam questions so that it becomes second nature, as the exam is worth a lot of marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Read lots of adult literature and if you can, the Dictionary.com app has a new word each day, which I've found has helped to broaden my vocabulary.

Also, try not to write how you speak, and reduce usage of apostrophes. Keep it formal, try to be eloquent but let it flow. And for crying out loud, once you've made a point, move on. There are no marks for repeating yourself.

Skips, English Lit and Lang.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hi guys,

Basically I am tired of being an average C/D grade student I would like to know what separates these students to A grade students. I would like to know key things I should work on as from now - I really don't know how to study for English GCSE.

Thank you

For English language, I don't know what exam board you are but I had Edexcel and did one analysis question and one creative writing task. For the analysis for any type of exam board you need to:
1.identify a word/technique
2.Explain the direct meaning of the quote
3.Now link it with an implied meaning or concept of the quote or word
4. Link it to your opinion and say why you think its there and what effect it has on the reader

Ask yourself what is the intended outcome of the writer and ask yourself what does this particular word relate and what is it associated with.

A generic example:
For example, the verb "blazing" means the something is burning fiercely and this is often associated with pain because a "blazing" fire is a fire which is capable of delivering unbearable pain and destroying any forms of life.

For the creative writing task, make sure you read different types of texts and stuff, this will help you almost mimic the tone of the writing when it comes to the exam.

but the most important rule is to PRACTICE

I got an A in English Language after doing loads of mocks at home and at school
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JoshZ
OK bro, thanks for posting a thread about this, telling us you're extremely motivated to get a good GCSE English grade. So good luck on getting a good GCSE English grade. I really hope you get a good GCSE English grade. It's great to know that you're motivated to get a good GCSE English grade. Good luck with your good GCSE English grade.

Repetition :colone:
Just remember this: -

D-irect Address (e.g. you, your,)
A- lliteration (e.g. CONFUSING,COMPLICATED AND CRAZY)
F- acts (e.g. just make up a bs fact which has a number in it)
O- pinions (e.g. i dont like this because its weird?)
R- hetrocial Questions (e.g. are you ready for you're exam? well read this!)
E- motive Language (e.g. feelings of the writer portrayed in words)
S- tatistics (e.g. 95% of students in the world get a*'s every 3-4 days) lol
T- riplets (e.g. good,bad and the ugly)
Reply 14
Original post by Deeboss
Repetition :colone:

I only want this kid to get a good GCSE English grade. I mean employers love a good GCSE English grade. It'd be awesome if he could motivate himself to get a good GCSE English grade. If there was one thing I'd love it'd be a good GCSE English grade. So once again, good luck with your GCSE English grade.
Original post by JoshZ
I only want this kid to get a good GCSE English grade. I mean employers love a good GCSE English grade. It'd be awesome if he could motivate himself to get a good GCSE English grade. If there was one thing I'd love it'd be a good GCSE English grade. So once again, good luck with your GCSE English grade.

Repetition :colone: Repetition :colone:
Hi guys,At the moment I am studying GCSE English Language and I am in need of serious help.Basically I am tired of being an average C/D grade student I would like to know what seperates these students to A grade students. I would like to know key things I should work on as from now - I really don't know how to study for English GCSE.Thank you
For Literature, deeply analyse quotes, and give different interpretations of them. For example: '-quote-', here -writer/poet- shows...However this could also mean...Then always link back to the question.Good luck 😊
I am also currently studying for my English GCSE's and I'm targeted at B but getting A*'s, my teacher is great but constantly talks about the difference between C-A* students. She's been an English teacher for around 20 years so I trust her when she says it is work put in after school (i.e. research, reading or extra work) and also allowing yourself to try new things in order to find your strengths within all subjects. As for studying for English Lang GCSE practice makes perfect! Ask your teacher if they'll stay behind after school and find past papers so you can do tasks like short stories- if they aren't willing too, they aren't doing their job right so go to another teacher in the English department at your school. You will get your A just keep a positive outlook, it sounds like crap and Im quite a pessimistic person myself but positivity does work, good luck!!
Reply 18
I'm currently undergoing my A-Levels, but my GCSE English Literature & Language grades were both A* and I credit such grades mainly to leisure reading as well as browsing forums and engaging with others.

Knowing what the examiners are looking for and being able to understand the exam question is key to achieving a high grade. Remember, in the exams - there is little to no help available (the most they can do is read out the question to you) so if you don't understand how to answer an exam question, then you may spend all your time being misguided and achieve a low grade as you done something other than the specified. The way to go about learning how to answer exam questions is by doing practice papers and learning about different language techniques and using as many as you can.

SPAG (spelling and grammar) also play a role in making sure you achieve the top grade - so make sure you use correct grammar, punctuation and sophisticate your language. For example, which sounds better?

A) 'I had earned his cordial loathing'.
B) 'he liked me because i was nice and friendly'.

And read assigned material (books, for example) two-times over. I always find things that I didn't initially notice upon second reading.
Original post by Nasyr
I'm currently undergoing my A-Levels, but my GCSE English Literature & Language grades were both A* and I credit such grades mainly to leisure reading as well as browsing forums and engaging with others.

Knowing what the examiners are looking for and being able to understand the exam question is key to achieving a high grade. Remember, in the exams - there is little to no help available (the most they can do is read out the question to you) so if you don't understand how to answer an exam question, then you may spend all your time being misguided and achieve a low grade as you done something other than the specified. The way to go about learning how to answer exam questions is by doing practice papers and learning about different language techniques and using as many as you can.

SPAG (spelling and grammar) also play a role in making sure you achieve the top grade - so make sure you use correct grammar, punctuation and sophisticate your language. For example, which sounds better?

A) 'I had earned his cordial loathing'.
B) 'he liked me because i was nice and friendly'.

And read assigned material (books, for example) two-times over. I always find things that I didn't initially notice upon second reading.

So what would you say differentiates a C grade student to A grade student; excluding punctuation, spelling and grammar.

Quick Reply

Latest