The Student Room Group

Gym advice regarding weight lifting (female)

Hey all,

I'm not sure how to approach it, but I'm nervous. Before I started uni, I got used to my gym at home, I had a nice little weight lifting routine going on, and it wasn't daunting because my brother showed me how to use everything and I got pretty confident. Now, I have moved far to university and I've joined the gym at the uni. Studying has been hectic but I do an hours worth of cardio at least 3-4 times a week. But, I'm not sure if it's just me, but it's been a good 2 months since I've lifted weights and my upper arms feel gross, like I've lost some of the muscle I was developing. Thing is, the gym I go to now has separate suites like a cardio suite and a weight training suite, so it isn't open planned like the one at home. I'm really nervous because I feel like I'm going into the situation blind and I'll walk in there and won't know what the hell I'm doing, but I know I desperately need to get into weight training again. I lost about 3 stone in my gap year and it's getting to the point where I need to tone up and build muscle.

Any advice? Is there anything I can do outside the gym? I hate being such a pussy but it's quite daunting for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by charmander12
Hey all,

I'm not sure how to approach it, but I'm nervous. Before I started uni, I got used to my gym at home, I had a nice little weight lifting routine going on, and it wasn't daunting because my brother showed me how to use everything and I got pretty confident. Now, I have moved far to university and I've joined the gym at the uni. Studying has been hectic but I do an hours worth of cardio at least 3-4 times a week. But, I'm not sure if it's just me, but it's been a good 2 months since I've lifted weights and my upper arms feel gross, like I've lost some of the muscle I was developing. Thing is, the gym I go to now has separate suites like a cardio suite and a weight training suite, so it isn't open planned like the one at home. I'm really nervous because I feel like I'm going into the situation blind and I'll walk in there and won't know what the hell I'm doing, but I know I desperately need to get into weight training again. I lost about 3 stone in my gap year and it's getting to the point where I need to tone up and build muscle.

Any advice? Is there anything I can do outside the gym? I hate being such a pussy but it's quite daunting for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi.

I think finding a sport that could help. Don't feel like you have to be confined to a gym, as such...you may find running on the streets a useful activity (as opposed to on the treadmill) . Some of the sports available to women can be a little out of the box -- some of my university friends played Flag Football last year, and one of them even played kitted Football. Basketball and badminton are good for developing arm power/toning arms and work on the cardio as well. Maybe even mixing it up could be a good thing as well.

With weight training, most gyms also have seperate sections for women. My best advice, would be to start slow...even with some dumb-bells or medicine balls, and then go from there. Is there a friend that you can go with to smooth the process? I don't know whether a university gym would have personal trainers (like students on that sort of course) but that could be another option as well.

Still, don't worry, and good luck. :smile:
I was the exact same, I asked a trainer to show me around before I went in and that really out my mind at ease, could you not ask a member of staff for a tour? That is what they're there for. If not, you'll figure everything out within 5 minutes anyway and wonder what you were so scared of. And no ones going to think you're stupid for asking where something is if need be. Stop delaying it and feel the fear and do it anyway would be my advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok firstly read this

Then go to the gym when it's quiet (either the middle of the day or late evening 8+pm) and then you won't feel intimidated. Have a plan of what you want to do in the session (there's sample work out plans in the link above or you could do something like Stronglifts 5x5) and do your session.

Once you've got used to going, come back for diet and form advice.

There's loads of how to's on youtube - JuggernautfitnessTv's how to's are decent. So are CantditotrainingHQ on youtube as well. The "So you think you can bench"/ squat/ deadlift series are decent as well.

Good luck
Reply 5
Have a plan of what you are going to do (preferably a full programme) then just suck it up and do it. You have the advantage over most noobs in that you have been shown the lifts so your odds of looking entirely like a noob are lower. It's fine to be nervous and intimidated, most folk are, but thinking about it endlessly isn't going to help. If you try to mentally prepare I think you are making it a bigger deal than it really is. Decided a day (like today or tomorrow, not next month) you will do it and be strict on yourself, don't let yourself make excuses. You'll quickly realise there's nothing to be worried about, everyone was a noob at some point and most folk who lift want to see more people starting, including more women.
Original post by BKS
most folk who lift want to see more people starting, including more women.

Bull****. More people to fight with for the squat rack? No thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hermitthefrog

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol.

Original/10
Reply 8
Original post by hermitthefrog

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes me want more racks
Honestly, all you can do is just walk in there. Maybe you could ask your brother to make you a routine? Or use SL 5x5 or something similar. Just so you don't end up wandering around aimlessly. If you're focused it'll feel more like you're supposed to be there and less like you're lost! Please don't do what one poster said above and stick to the women's section and use little dumbells, get in the weights section and do it properly. I bet there will be other girls in there too!
Original post by charmander12

Any advice?
Next time you're in the gym go scope out what kit they've got, then draw up a routine or two, that you're happy with. If you go in and work out with a clear purpose and without wandering aimlessly, no-one's going to bother you/care much that you're there.

I'm sure people on here would be happy to help with a routine if you tell us what options you've got (although a lot of the advice is going to consist of "do starting strength").
Original post by MancStudent098
Next time you're in the gym go scope out what kit they've got, then draw up a routine or two, that you're happy with. If you go in and work out with a clear purpose and without wandering aimlessly, no-one's going to bother you/care much that you're there.

I'm sure people on here would be happy to help with a routine if you tell us what options you've got (although a lot of the advice is going to consist of "do starting strength").

Hey, well, I took some advice from a few people off here. I went to the gym an hour before it closed, and I went in the strength suite half an hour before the gym closed and it was rammed lol so yeah, I did kinda wandered aimlessly as not a single machine was free, and the main floor space where people are meant to walk through to get to certain parts was full of people lifting weights -_- so now, I'm thinking maybe I need to get there first thing in the morning and check it out. It's a weird set up, not what I was expecting, and definitely not big enough! I was hoping to keep my routine that I had back at home but looks like they haven't even got that kind of equipment, so I may need to recalculate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks for all the replies. I plucked up the confidence to go in, half an hour before the gym closed half expecting it to be empty, but it was rammed lol. So the only alternative is not to sleep and get there first thing in the morning :biggrin:
I wasted two years of gym because I didn't have the courage to speak to the staff and ask if I was using the equipment properly.
At least you won't end up like me :charm:12
(edited 9 years ago)
I recently started stronglifts and at first the weights room at my gym really intimidated me! It's usually just full of beefy guys and I felt so out of place hahah. I've found that the best time at my gym is around 10am or around 1-3pm. (Or Saturday nights at around 8pm... Have never tried very early mornings though!)

Anyway, I went when it was quiet and just got on with it. Now I don't feel so insecure going in when it's full of guys (I actually never see girls in there...) and I don't really get any weird looks or anything. I've actually started to recognise people and I think they've recognised me which also makes things feel easier xD
You think people will care.

They won't.

Quick Reply

Latest