The Student Room Group

Help choosing A-Levels!!

Hey guys, I am currently in year 11 and have to choose my a levels soon. I want to do economics and management or law at oxford, will these A levels keep both options open. Maths, Physics, Economics, History. Please tell me what you think and what subjects should be changed. Thanks.
Reply 1
You should pick subjects based on one thing: interest.
See the Oxford website for the course requirements.
Reply 3
Yeah I know but
Reply 4
I really want to do economics or law at uni and want to know if these subjects keep both options open.
Original post by SSpringer20
Hey guys, I am currently in year 11 and have to choose my a levels soon. I want to do economics and management or law at oxford, will these A levels keep both options open. Maths, Physics, Economics, History. Please tell me what you think and what subjects should be changed. Thanks.

Well Maths, Physics and History are strong subjects, and yeah they keep your options open if you do change your mind. Economics is obviously a relevant choice so yeah they're good... Bear in mind that you may be dropping one after AS so you kinda need to decide then what you wanna do at uni. If economics will be necessary (should you choose to change course) ... For now, you've got time :biggrin: hope this helped...

It seems I missed the law bit... Like I said, they are strong subjects so it should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks, yeah I will probably drop physics.
Those subjects would be fine so if they are the subjects you're most interested in go with them. However, if you're going purely by the most course-specific options I'd recommend swapping physics with either further maths, which would be more relevant for economics, or another essay-based subject like English Literature for law.
That's a great combination and they're all from the 'A' list so applying to Oxbridge won't be a problem. https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptable-level-subject-combinations :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 9
Original post by uncommonsensing
Those subjects would be fine so if they are the subjects you're most interested in go with them. However, if you're going purely by the most course-specific options I'd recommend swapping physics with either further maths, which would be more relevant for economics, or another essay-based subject like English Literature for law.

My sixthform doesn't offer fm weirdly but that's why I chose physics to maybe help with the maths needed for economics.
Original post by z1ggystardust
That's a great combination and they're all from the 'A' list so applying to Oxbridge won't be a problem. https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptable-level-subject-combinations :smile::smile::smile:

Thanks, that's really reassured me, however do you think I should change physics for maybe english lit?
Original post by SSpringer20
Thanks, that's really reassured me, however do you think I should change physics for maybe english lit?

No problem - I know how stressful picking A levels is! Well, having an essay subject is always good but only if you enjoy it. Having given up Physics in Year 9 and wanting to do an English Lit. degree, I would say do Lit :wink:

Do whatever subjects you enjoy most is what we were always told and I'm very happy that I followed that advice!

Quick Reply

Latest