The Student Room Group

I'm a freelance writer - AMA

I don't normally do these but tbh I'm a bit stressed right now and need to take my mind off things lol.

So..

Since graduating in 2012 I have been working as a freelance writer/editor/proofreader.

Ask me anything!

I actually think this could be USEFUL to people rather than just the rubbish most people post, lol.

Scroll to see replies

In this case, is "freelance" just another word for "unemployed"?
Original post by Viva Emptiness

You beat me to it. :lol: I blame the connection.

In any case:

Shots fired. :tongue:

I didn't laugh at this, I didn't even smile, I just felt like gods work had been done when I read that.... It felt so good.

I heard you say it in your voice as well which made it about 10x better, because I know the voice you would use haha
Reply 4
How did you get into it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Nick Parsons
You beat me to it. :lol: I blame the connection.

In any case:

Shots fired. :tongue:

Nope - I have several clients who send me work weekly to complete. For example this morning I have written a couple of blogs for a wedding planner, and earlier in the week I proofread a manuscript for an author before she gives it to her agent. She publishes several books a year so that's a good contract. I also work on a couple of forums as a content provider to post thought evoking threads which I do daily, and I work alongside two sixth form tutors to put together model answers to exam papers. I use a couple of freelancing websites to apply for work when I'm short, and usually get it, however I haven't had to use them recently because my long term clients have given me enough work to be going on with.

To be honest, proofreading is my absolute favourite job, and I would love to be able to do that full time. But writing and researching for articles is interesting too, so I suppose the variety is good!

I complete a tax return at the end of every year, and pay my NI every month.

I also earn a little extra as I'm a part time music teacher but that's a whole different AMA thread haha.

Original post by gemmam
How did you get into it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd always been a decent writer, and during my degree my auntie put me in touch with a contact who needed student writers for her blog. It was only 2 blogs a week at £10 each but as a student it was good. Then when I graduated she upped my contract including a pay rise and more articles but this time as a graduate, so I thought I'd stick with it while I looked for other work. It was only £60 a week but I thought it could just carry me over.

It was a bit of a shock when I didn't get a grad job within 48hrs of my last exam lol, but I thought I'd try and apply for more freelance work to help me while I was looking. I was quite lucky to meet a brilliant client who worked for a content providing company, and got a job as a writer for them. I had to do 2 pieces of content a day at £30 each, which took me maybe half an hour each. Then I applied for more work.. and eventually I came to the conclusion that the pay was actually enough to stop looking for other work!

These days I love it, I can choose my own working days/schedule, pick and choose which jobs I take, and pretty much always get extra money if I need it. Of course there are difficulties, but the clients I have are more often than not amazing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello!

Do you find your skills improving with time?

Thanks

And one more thing...

For example this morning I have written a couple of blogs for a wedding planner, and earlier in the week I proofread a manuscript for an author before she gives it to her agent.

Is this sentence grammatically correct? :smile:
Original post by RoyalBlue7
Hello!

Do you find your skills improving with time?

Thanks

And one more thing...

Is this sentence grammatically correct? :smile:

I do, definitely.

And I'm not working right now, I'm posting on a forum procrastinating from work :wink:. Out of complete interest which part of the sentence do you have a problem with? Haha.
Do you like football?
Original post by Skill Twix
Do you like football?

Not particularly - I'm a rugby league girl :smile:!
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I do, definitely.

And I'm not working right now, I'm posting on a forum procrastinating from work :wink:. Out of complete interest which part of the sentence do you have a problem with? Haha.

Lol forget it :tongue:
I don't normally do these but tbh I'm a bit stressed right now and need to take my mind off things lol.

So..

Since graduating in 2012 I have been working as a freelance writer/editor/proofreader.

Ask me anything!

I actually think this could be USEFUL to people rather than just the rubbish most people post, lol.

I resent that :P

I have a first in English Lit. yet my grammar is still really ****.

What advice would you give to me?

I'm thinking of pursuing a Masters so I can't afford to make the minor errors that I did at undergrad level.

:smile:
Would you like to write a book.
Original post by iammeyouareyou
I resent that :P

I have a first in English Lit. yet my grammar is still really ****.

What advice would you give to me?

I'm thinking of pursuing a Masters so I can't afford to make the minor errors that I did at undergrad level.

:smile:

Well most threads are kind of light hearted fun, that's what I meant :wink:.

The only thing you can do is practice. Read as much as you can, write as much as you can. There's a forum on here where people post excerpts of things they've written, that might help as people can give you advice. Most people's grammar is poor. Mine certainly isn't perfect, but everything I write then goes to an editor to tighten it up anyway so it doesn't really matter as long as it's fairly accurate.

Original post by Justcoffeespoons
Would you like to write a book.

I wrote my first book in 2012 as part of NaNoWriMo (Google if you don't know what that is) and self published it. It was on sale for about 8 months but only ever sold just over 1,000 copies which is nothing in comparison to established authors. Although it did make enough money to cover the time I spent writing it so that's okay. I pulled it from sale because a client of mine said she could put me in touch with her agent - which she did - so we're now preparing for it to be published properly. And that takes A LOT of work. It's slow going because I'm busy with other things, but I'm fairly positive about it.

I also have 4 other books which are written but not edited at all. Those are definitely on a back burner until the first one is out, though.

I struggle with actually writing books because obviously I don't get paid for them there and then, so I have to make sure I have enough paid work to pay the bills.

I do have a number of eBooks on Amazon which bring in royalties but they're not selling that well, it's only really enough for a decent meal out each month to be fair. But it's not bad as I got an upfront fee for the eBooks so I was paid anyway.
what don't you like about being a freelance writer and part time music teacher
Well most threads are kind of light hearted fun, that's what I meant :wink:.

The only thing you can do is practice. Read as much as you can, write as much as you can. There's a forum on here where people post excerpts of things they've written, that might help as people can give you advice. Most people's grammar is poor. Mine certainly isn't perfect, but everything I write then goes to an editor to tighten it up anyway so it doesn't really matter as long as it's fairly accurate.

Original post by white boy
what don't you like about being a freelance writer and part time music teacher

Sometimes it can be difficult getting more work, but I get through it anyway. Being a part time music teacher can be difficult when the kids mess about but otherwise it's great too!
Are you better than J. K. Rowling?
Hi will you entertain grammar-related questions?

Also I do read books but I don't think my English writing skills are any good what do I do?
Original post by Huskaris
Sometimes it can be difficult getting more work, but I get through it anyway. Being a part time music teacher can be difficult when the kids mess about but otherwise it's great too!

yeah i wasn't asking you

Quick Reply

Latest