The Student Room Group

How do the different settings in Birdsong make the narrative more powerful?

need help trying to get points for essay
Original post by blabblalvble

Heya, I'm going to put this in the English forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=82
I'm doing birdsong too. Perhaps not a direct answer to your question but perhaps we could share ideas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blabblalvble

I honestly don't understand the question.... Are you being asked to compare the different parts in the book?

At the start of the book when Stephen first arrives in France, there is a calm, almost sweet setting - when they go to the little river and have a picnic when Faulks describes the beautiful house, the lustrous Red Room, etc. All these things in the first part of the novel make the setting a lot more romantic and beautifully serene setting. However, when war breaks out later on in the novel; you have all this grotesque imagery that is presented like the death of comrades, bodies been blown apart, damaged houses from bombs and etc. There is a stark comparison between settings.

I think it makes the narrative more powerful as the settings throughout the novel decay more - there are more things that decay and I think the aggression and power of the war is reflected through the narration in which the reader follows.

From what I can remember, 3 years ago when I first read it is that basically. I got a B for my coursework on it!
To add to the above post, the Elizabeth/1970s sections (which I skimmed through, I don't like them very much) allow the reader to recognize their own ignorance. Elizabeth begins to question her past/heritage (I remember someone - maybe a friend/her mother - being dismissive/disinterested).

The year it's set, 1978, also marks the 60th anniversary since WW1 ended. Very appropriate time to question these things! Look around you, 100th year since the war started - so many TV shows, films, documentaries, recognition has come from this year.

All the characters from the 'past' life become embodied in Elizabeth's character/section too. The opening of her first section is set "underground" relating to Jack Firebrace being a tunneler, we later find out Elizabeth works in textiles - Stephen Wreysford worked in textiles before the war, Elizabeth is having an affair with Robert(?), and of course, Isabelle had an affair with Stephen...

Just some things to think about :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending