The Student Room Group

Applying for Modern Languages - course codes!!!

Hi, I want to study German and French, with French from beginners level. Some unis don't have a French and German course, but instead you apply for Modern Languages and specify on your application which languages. Problem is, there is no room in the 'Further Information' box on ucas to write German and Beginners French. I've tried emailing the two unis who I have to apply for modern languages, neither of whom have emailed me back 10 days later. Now I've tried ringing them, 4 different numbers on the website don't work and the one that does the woman doesn't work Fridays. I desperately want to send my application off ASAP, has anyone had this situation before and knows what to do? Also, other unis for example Glasgow give a course code for French and a course code for German, but no course code for the combined honours degree?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm getting really stressed out about it all now!!
Original post by Lucy13579
Hi, I want to study German and French, with French from beginners level. Some unis don't have a French and German course, but instead you apply for Modern Languages and specify on your application which languages. Problem is, there is no room in the 'Further Information' box on ucas to write German and Beginners French. I've tried emailing the two unis who I have to apply for modern languages, neither of whom have emailed me back 10 days later. Now I've tried ringing them, 4 different numbers on the website don't work and the one that does the woman doesn't work Fridays. I desperately want to send my application off ASAP, has anyone had this situation before and knows what to do? Also, other unis for example Glasgow give a course code for French and a course code for German, but no course code for the combined honours degree?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm getting really stressed out about it all now!!

I applied way back in 2009 for Modern Languages courses (2010 entry), and luckily UCAS listed language codes under the codes for applications bit. But I don't think they all do now!
I know the codes I used were along the lines of - Fr, Ge, Ja or F, G, J for French and German and beginner's Japanese.

So if you can't get a definitive response I wouldn't worry too much and just put something similar.

From my experience Modern Languages degrees are quite flexible - at Newcastle definitely, it's very common for people to swap languages around after the application stage
Reply 2
Hey, I think I had problem a bit similar to yours
I am applying to German and Russian/Italian at Universities and the codes are really confusing trying to work out what is for beginners and what isn't. I also have put Durham down as a choice which does the modern languages degree and there was no option to select languages, they said they ask you what languages you are doing upon arrival!
I also researched on the Universities websites whether it said you could take the languages ab initio and chose those course codes - for example
At Leeds I am applying for German and Russian - there were two options for course codes - German and Russian A and German and Russian B. I had to look up that the 'B' stood for beginners.
Whereas at Warwick I am applying for German and Italian and there was only one course listed with a code - research told me that everyone does that same course and that you take modules depending on whether you are beginner, intermediate or advanced.
Not sure if any of this helps you with your problem but hopefully it will guide you a little bit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending