The Student Room Group

Told girlfriend to change her hair

I see my gf on weekends only. She's been complaining about my facial hair a lot saying it looks bad and it feels like kissing an animal. It isn't a beard, it's just trimmed. Sometimes I shave it but I just let it grow back because I really like it and when I clean shave I think it looks awful and many people agree apart from her.

She had a go recently and demanded I shave it off, so I told her if she's going to make demands of me then I'll do the same and I suggested she styles her hair a certain way.

Basically she took offence to it and brought up that she shaves for me down below, however I do the same so it cancels it out. I'm standing my ground here and while I do value her opinion over others, I will shave but I expect the same privilege from her and I won't plead and apologise for anything when she's done exactly the same.

What are your thoughts on this?
Reply 1
On the one hand: it's your body so you should be able to do as you wish. HOWEVER, while I'm a dude and haven't kissed another dude, I've been told that most (not all) women find kissing people with beards quite uncomfortable. Nevertheless, it's still your choice at the end of the day.
Original post by Anonymous
I see my gf on weekends only. She's been complaining about my facial hair a lot saying it looks bad and it feels like kissing an animal. It isn't a beard, it's just trimmed. Sometimes I shave it but I just let it grow back because I really like it and when I clean shave I think it looks awful and many people agree apart from her.

She had a go recently and demanded I shave it off, so I told her if she's going to make demands of me then I'll do the same and I suggested she styles her hair a certain way.

Basically she took offence to it and brought up that she shaves for me down below, however I do the same so it cancels it out. I'm standing my ground here and while I do value her opinion over others, I will shave but I expect the same privilege from her and I won't plead and apologise for anything when she's done exactly the same.

What are your thoughts on this?

I can see where you're coming from especially if you really like your facial hair. However, I'm similar to your girlfriend I hate it when my boyfriend has facial hair and he shaves it because he's not particularly fussed either way. Maybe instead of throwing insults and stooping to childish reasoning you might have been better sitting down with her and having a talk about the fact you like your facial hair and want to keep it and can she respect your choice. Telling her to style her hair in a different way is just petty. Especially because the way she styles her doesn't affect you two kissing whereas you having facial hair can, if you see what I mean.
Beards are hot :smile:

Tbh I she was insensitive and so were you. How about showing her that you're offended like she was when you told her o style her hair
Reply 4
Keep the beard!
Reply 5
Original post by Olderandwiser23
Beards are hot :smile:

Tbh I she was insensitive and so were you. How about showing her that you're offended like she was when you told her o style her hair

Well my exact response was "so it's okay for you to make demands but not me?". I do actually want her to change her hair once in a while though, it's been exactly the same for the 2 years we've been together. I'd like to have a relationship where we can both be straight about these things but I won't put up with one where she can be straight and I can't.
I think it was unreasonable of her to demand you shave it off. It's your face and you should just sit down and tell her that. If my partner told me to cut my hair or something I'd be like lolno so I wouldn't expect him to do it if I asked.
Reply 7
Original post by Precious Illusions
I think it was unreasonable of her to demand you shave it off. It's your face and you should just sit down and tell her that. If my partner told me to cut my hair or something I'd be like lolno so I wouldn't expect him to do it if I asked.

If it hurts her face is it still unreasonable in your opinion?

Yes because it's not actually that bad. 1000's of men have beards and their respective partners are perfectly fine when it. She needs to man up.

Hmm that's a bit different tbh. I have really sensitive skin so I find stubble really irritates my skin, but when a beard gets to a certain length it's really soft on the face IMO. I think if she'd just said that it's irritating her face and asked nicely if you wouldn't mind then that's more reasonable, but to straight up demand it is just kinda rude IMO.

I used to have some facial hair that hurt my gf when we kissed so I got rid of it; it irritated her skin, made it peel/flake, and made it painful for her to kiss me. As much as I wanted to keep my facial hair, hurting my gf was obviously not worth it!
(edited 9 years ago)
My guy has a beard and it's fine. She's too insensitive IMHO but to be fair beards at a certain length do get uncomfortable to go near when kissing. If it's a close cut and hair is soft should be fine. If she's just complaining for aesthetic preference reasons then shes out of order. Xxx
Yeah my guy has a beard and it hurts my face. But I get over it! She shouldn't expect you to change your face for her. It doesn't hurt THAT much. She's out of order.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending