The Student Room Group

Christmas Job Advice?

Hi all, so over the past month since about the end of September I got myself together and decided I needed a job this season. So I've applied for a good amount of places which I'm interested in such as Argos, The Entertainer, Poundstretcher, Quality Save, Next, Poundland and a few more. The thing is this will be my first job since I'm just a Second Year College Student so I'm hoping someone will give me a chance and train me up with no previous retail experience.

For Argos I applied via the Christmas present website in the last few days of September and haven't heard a thing since.
The entertainer was also an online Christmas submission which asked me for my hours available and such for Christmas - haven't heard anything from here either.

The others apart from next I handed my cv in store, there had been notices up in the window so I went in and enquired which most of the places told me it'll be a few week or so till they sort things out - this was around early-mid October. Not so long ago.

Now I applied for a seasonal temporary/ cover role at next around the 5th of October shortly followed the day after saying I'd been shortlisted and was due a phone interview sometime later that could be up to 2 weeks. Once it had been 2 week with no response I enquired by email to next careers and they replied that I would receive an email whatever the outcome - which I still don't have.

I also applied for a role at Asda being one of my first applications (ever) in the home and leisure dept which resulted being unsuccessful - I did apply very close to the closing date and apparently now can't apply for any roles at Asda for another 6 month?

More recently I applied for Dixons seasonal staff this being Currys/PC World. They got back to me within a few days saying I'd been unsuccessful and spoke very kindly simply saying there were better candidates. Shame as I'm a fan of technology and good at using it.

So overall all I've got as a response is Emails from Asda, Dixons and Next which is now worrying me if anyone else will get in touch at all.

Whether it's just me being impatient, which I hope it is as I am impatient often and don't know the ropes of the job industry quite yet.

What my main query is, is when do most people employ true Christmas employees? Some say earlier at the end of summer and some saying right up to Christmas. Since it's nearly November and a lot say they start looking around this time I'm REALLY hoping for some responses positive or negative. I'm at home most of the time with nothing to do and want to work, earn myself a little this season, make new friends and get out of this retched boring house.

Can anyone help or give advice as to when Christmas jobs generally start, or what to apply for, suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending