The Student Room Group

Shall I withdraw my UCAS application?

I have just realised a major mistake on my personal statement. At this point, I really don't know what to do and keep panicking about receiving a rejection any time soon:redface:

I am applying for Economics and to some of the most competitive universities including LSE who scrutinize you over the personal statement. I take complete responsibility, I got lots of people to read it but unfortunately we failed to spot the mistake.

I really don't know what to do:confused: Shall i withdraw my application??

(Apologies to the mods for posting it in the wrong forum)

Scroll to see replies

No, calm down and take a deep breath for a moment. Mistakes on UCAS forms are not that rare, just talk to your teacher about it, and depending on how severe it is they would be able to contact the unis and inform them of it etc.

What's the worst that's gonna happen?

It's better than no application....
Nah it's not worth withdrawing the application, you never know what offers you're going to get. What was the mistake, if you don't mind my asking? If it was a grammatical thing then it won't make any difference whatsoever TBH. I can't think of many major mistakes you could have made on your PS that will cost you the application.
Reply 3
Original post by R Dragon
No, calm down and take a deep breath for a moment. Mistakes on UCAS forms are not that rare, just talk to your teacher about it, and depending on how severe it is they would be able to contact the unis and inform them of it etc.

What's the worst that's gonna happen?

It's better than no application....

But mine is not just a spelling error:frown:
Original post by Anonymous
But mine is not just a spelling error:frown:

How bad can it be?
Reply 5
Original post by perflous
Nah it's not worth withdrawing the application, you never know what offers you're going to get. What was the mistake, if you don't mind my asking? If it was a grammatical thing then it won't make any difference whatsoever TBH. I can't think of many major mistakes you could have made on your PS that will cost you the application.

I can PM you? I think it's quite big tbh:frown:
I can PM you? I think it's quite big tbh:frown:

Yes, that's fine, PM me. It's difficult to judge whether it's worth withdrawing or not without knowing the error itself!
Awww come on just tell us on here, or at least hint at it so we can better judge the situation.
Reply 8
I couldn't refer to the error in my post above as it would require a line from my personal statement!
I couldn't refer to the error in my post above as it would require a line from my personal statement!

pls pm me too PLS
Can I see the error? I'm sure it's not that bad :smile: And if it is, you'll be able to deal with it. Please PM me?
Original post by anonwinner
Can I see the error? I'm sure it's not that bad :smile: And if it is, you'll be able to deal with it. Please PM me?

Are you studying/ plan to study Economics at University? You would probably be able to spot the mistake if you are/ planning to study Economics:redface:
Are you studying/ plan to study Economics at University? You would probably be able to spot the mistake if you are/ planning to study Economics:redface:

Yes I've applied for Economics and Politics courses
Original post by anonwinner
Yes I've applied for Economics and Politics courses

I'll PM you, thanks for helping!
Reply 14
Maybe it's worth just emailing the universities, to allow them to acknowledge that's it's a mistake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RossK
Maybe it's worth just emailing the universities, to allow them to acknowledge that's it's a mistake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I may, but I don't want to further highlight the error if you know what I mean:redface:
I have just realised a major mistake on my personal statement. At this point, I really don't know what to do and keep panicking about receiving a rejection any time soon:redface:

I am applying for Economics and to some of the most competitive universities including LSE who scrutinize you over the personal statement. I take complete responsibility, I got lots of people to read it but unfortunately we failed to spot the mistake.

I really don't know what to do:confused: Shall i withdraw my application??

(Apologies to the mods for posting it in the wrong forum)

If you withdraw your UCAS application you'll definitely not get any offers and have to take a gap year. If you don't withdraw it you're still in with a chance, mistake or no mistake. If it's really big I'd probably email the unis and point it out to them, but if you don't want to draw attention to it then just leaving it will be the next best thing. Obviously it kind of depends on what the mistake is but your options are still the same! :redface:
If, as you say, loads of people read it and didn't notice, then you should be fine. Will only be a problem if it's specific to Economics. I actually found an error in mine not long after sending it off, where I said a book was by "x, x, x" instead of "x, x and x". I'm sure it's not something they'll mind too much about unless you've said something which is just wrong about Economics like "if supply goes up and demand goes down then an item gets more expensive" or something.
Original post by Wahrheit
If, as you say, loads of people read it and didn't notice, then you should be fine. Will only be a problem if it's specific to Economics. I actually found an error in mine not long after sending it off, where I said a book was by "x, x, x" instead of "x, x and x". I'm sure it's not something they'll mind too much about unless you've said something which is just wrong about Economics like "if supply goes up and demand goes down then an item gets more expensive" or something.

I think an economist would be able to spot the mistake. In short, I wrote Chinese Yen instead of 'Yuan' within the sentence I was explaining. As you probably already know 'Yen' is the Japanese currency. Therefore it is technically wrong:frown:
Original post by furryface12
If you withdraw your UCAS application you'll definitely not get any offers and have to take a gap year. If you don't withdraw it you're still in with a chance, mistake or no mistake. If it's really big I'd probably email the unis and point it out to them, but if you don't want to draw attention to it then just leaving it will be the next best thing. Obviously it kind of depends on what the mistake is but your options are still the same! :redface:

Thanks for your help:smile:
I guess I'll have to hope for the best and worst comes to worst I'll take a gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending