The Student Room Group

A-Level choices: Economics or Politics?

I'm currently in Year 11 studying for my GCSE's and thinking about what A-Levels I'd like to take next year.

I think I'd maybe like to do International Relations at University, so what A-Levels would best suit that?

So far, I've decided on:
History,
Maths,
French,

Then I can't decide between Government & Politics, or Economics?

Which one would be better? I've heard mixed reviews about both of these subjects..
Is Economics boring?
Is Politics considered 'soft' and is it needed for a politics-based degree?
I'd go for Economics - easier and it is more strongly regarded by universities. They are both good though
I do economics and politics at AS (as well as maths and french-high five). I love both of them, but economics is regarded as.a stromger a level than politics, however, neither are 'facilitating subjects', but your other 3 choices are, so i don't really think.either is preferable by much. If you want, take both and drop which ever one you don't like in the first week or so of sixth form
Also if you have any questions about maths or french a level pm me :smile:
I would go for politics and it would aid your history and possibly help you with your french. I don't think its seen as a soft subject and universities like it as it allows you to develop your own thoughts and opinions. However economics is also a good subjects so which ever one you go for you will be fine. Also at university there will possibly be many politic clubs and if you have the knowledge in the subject, its a great conversation starter with just about anyone. But thats just a bonus.
The one you are more interested in.

Watch a few relevant lectures, read a few relevant books and see what appeals to you.
Ask to borrow a textbook on each and see what you think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd do Economics - universities prefer it and it's more fun! (Currently my fave subject)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by strawberrysnow
I'd do Economics - universities prefer it and it's more fun! (Currently my fave subject)

Posted from TSR Mobile

:five:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Politics! I'm doing it at the moment and it's really good! It complements History really well, too, and is really relevant to doing an IR degree.

Economics is extremely mathematical, and complex maths at that. Since September, I haven't stopped learning about graphs, and only graphs. There have been 2 graphs, and about 10 variations of them. If you don't like graphs, DO NOT DO Economics.

Good luck.
P.S. Do politics!
Original post by The Legal Eagle
Politics! I'm doing it at the moment and it's really good! It complements History really well, too, and is really relevant to doing an IR degree.

Economics is extremely mathematical, and complex maths at that. Since September, I haven't stopped learning about graphs, and only graphs. There have been 2 graphs, and about 10 variations of them. If you don't like graphs, DO NOT DO Economics.

Good luck.
P.S. Do politics!

I would disagree that economics is 'extremely mathematical' I know where you're coming from, I'm crap at maths and it takes me time to get to grips with the maths aspects but no way is it that mathsy, I mean for one it's primarily an essay based subject! I would say it requires basic mathematics.
Original post by meganm0ore
I'm currently in Year 11 studying for my GCSE's and thinking about what A-Levels I'd like to take next year.

I think I'd maybe like to do International Relations at University, so what A-Levels would best suit that?

So far, I've decided on:
History,
Maths,
French,

Which one would be better? I've heard mixed reviews about both of these subjects..
Is Economics boring?

Yeah Economics maths is bull**** easy at A-Level, for the graphs you just need to kind of learn them of and the fact a lot of them are similar means they are quite easy to learn.
While I am likely covering different things in my Government & Politics since I am from Northern Ireland to what you would study I would say it depends on what you prefer, Economics = Learning definitions and putting them into Essays, Government and Politics = Learning examples of events and putting them into essays.
Reply 12
Original post by easyaspirsquared
I do economics and politics at AS (as well as maths and french-high five). I love both of them, but economics is regarded as.a stromger a level than politics, however, neither are 'facilitating subjects', but your other 3 choices are, so i don't really think.either is preferable by much. If you want, take both and drop which ever one you don't like in the first week or so of sixth form

Which one do you prefer studying?:smile:
i have the same problem my other subjects are biology,chemistry and maths but i can't decide between economics,politics and english lit for my 4th
Original post by Humzaawan123
i have the same problem my other subjects are biology,chemistry and maths but i can't decide between economics,politics and english lit for my 4th

Economics defo - the easiest and most interesting out of those 3
Reply 15

So far, I've decided on:
History,
Maths,
French,

Is Economics boring?

Hello :smile: I do both politics and economics AS level and thoroughly enjoy both. Some people have said politics is a 'soft' subject and I can honestly say it DEFINITELY isn't. Politics is hard, but interesting. There is a lot to learn and a lot of essay writing but a lot of fun if you are wanting to know more about how the country is run and by whom :smile: and in answer to your question, politics is not required for a politics based degree. My friend is applying for economics with politics and she hasn't studied it at a level :smile:
Economics is also hard, but personally I don't find it as challenging as politics. Somebody said that the maths is very complex but I can again assure you that is wrong - I got an A in GCSE maths and was slightly worried I would find it difficult but it is really easy. You only have to learn graphs! You can pick economics with a C in GCSE maths so I really would not worry about that.
Both subjects are highly regarded by universities as you are showing a high level of aptitude regarding what's going on in the world and how the world works. I would suggest you maybe pick some books from the library or do more Internet research to make your choice. Best of luck :smile:
PS...if I was you I would lose maths and take both! :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by Lucetim
Hello :smile: I do both politics and economics AS level and thoroughly enjoy both. Some people have said politics is a 'soft' subject and I can honestly say it DEFINITELY isn't. Politics is hard, but interesting. There is a lot to learn and a lot of essay writing but a lot of fun if you are wanting to know more about how the country is run and by whom :smile: and in answer to your question, politics is not required for a politics based degree. My friend is applying for economics with politics and she hasn't studied it at a level :smile:
Economics is also hard, but personally I don't find it as challenging as politics. Somebody said that the maths is very complex but I can again assure you that is wrong - I got an A in GCSE maths and was slightly worried I would find it difficult but it is really easy. You only have to learn graphs! You can pick economics with a C in GCSE maths so I really would not worry about that.
Both subjects are highly regarded by universities as you are showing a high level of aptitude regarding what's going on in the world and how the world works. I would suggest you maybe pick some books from the library or do more Internet research to make your choice. Best of luck :smile:
PS...if I was you I would lose maths and take both! :wink:

Thankyou so much for such a detailed reply, it's a great help:smile: I would like to take both as they both really appeal to me but I LOVE the 3 subjects I've already chosen and couldn't choose to drop one. I want to take maths because I'm predicted an A* at GCSE and I really enjoy it. Also, I would need maths if I decided to take economics any further than A Level.

That's a tough question haha. Honestly, both are incredibly interesting. To be honest, I find politics to be more interesting as like someone has already said

That's a tough question haha. Honestly, both are incredibly interesting. To be honest, I find politics to be more interesting as like someone has already said, you're learning about the way your country is run. The thing I would say is that there is no chance of getting an A in politics at AS if you don't have a wide range of knowledge and political facts in your head. Do not worry, I went into studying politics with no knowledge whatsoever, you will lesrn everything you need to know during school time. However, it requires a lot of revision to make sure you can fire off contemporary examples. For example, if a question asked whether or not the electoral system in the UK is unfair, you should be able (for an A) to fire off election results to support both sides. I have already decided I'm going to drop politics after AS purely because I want to study economics at university. I can't drop economics because even though it's not required for the degree, how bad would it look.if I dropped it then applied for it at un, I need maths to do eco, and I love french too much :smile: I do love politics and I'm sure you will too.

Economics is also incredibly fascinating and to be honest I find it easier than politics. There are a lot of just off the bat definitions you need to know, but the maths is by no means hard and the graphs are less complex than those in gcse maths to be honest. Some people find economics boring, but I have a great teacher. It may be worth going and seeing your sixth form's economics teacher (that is, if your sixth form's at your secondary school) and talking to them about the course. It may be a good idea to take both Andd drop whichever you don't like- it's the only way to.Truely pick the right one for you.

I hope this helps, if you need any.more help don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest