The Student Room Group

'Trick or treating' in the UK - what's the point?

I just had few kids knocking on our door and I gave them money as I wasn't prepared.
But it makes me wonder, it's essentially parents bringing their kids to ask for sweets/money like beggars, in return for nothing. If I refuse, I'm afraid of my house getting egged... so it's either I pay or they'll turn into small hooligans.

Wouldn't it be better if they sang or did a little trick etc? So it's an enjoyable event for both parties and they feel they've deserved it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Halloween always used to be such a disappointment for me - making the house look all 'spooky' and dressing up, getting supplies in for trick-or-treaters etc etc, and then remembering that we live in a tiny lane in the middle of nowhere, and getting a maximum of one person visiting.
I just ignore the door most years. I don't see the point in participating on either side.
My area is full of juvenile *****, you'll get the same scum knocking on your door for sweets just after they've vandalised a car or thrown something through your window. May have to lace any sweets that may be given to them with bleach.
Who gives out money? :lolwut:

I just turn off the lights and pretend I'm not home most times. Last time they knew I was home but ignoring them, the house got egged.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thought you were ment to sing a song or tell a joke to get money/sweets? That's what I used to do?
Original post by Eva.Gregoria

I just turn off the lights and pretend I'm not home most times. Last time they knew I was home but ignoring them, the house got egged.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL
Original post by Eva.Gregoria

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like I said, I wasn't prepared, so I didn't' have sweets in the house. Couldn't risk the house getting egged, so why not throw money at them.
Reply 9
I never knew what Halloween was before coming to the UK (I'm from Portugal).

I always wonder, isn't it dangerous accepting food from random strangers that you may have never seen before? Why do people even celebrate Halloween?
Original post by SomeStudent
Like I said, I wasn't prepared, so I didn't' have sweets in the house. Couldn't risk the house getting egged, so why not throw money at them.

How much do you give them? Give them less than they expect and they could still throw a curveball and egg your house once you get back in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always hide in my room, which can't be seen from our door. Once my Mum gave some of them money and then they came back again trying to get more money. And yes, it's like begging and I don't like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like it because I'm all about that community spirit and it makes children (i.e. the future of tomorrow) happier and they can learn generosity and just generally enjoy life and I gain happiness from making others happy and I don't lose out anything other than a couple of quid which I saved from when I used to go trick or treating.
I just had few kids knocking on our door and I gave them money as I wasn't prepared.
But it makes me wonder, it's essentially parents bringing their kids to ask for sweets/money like beggars, in return for nothing. If I refuse, I'm afraid of my house getting egged... so it's either I pay or they'll turn into small hooligans.

Wouldn't it be better if they sang or did a little trick etc? So it's an enjoyable event for both parties and they feel they've deserved it.

It's a tradition dating back hundreds of years. Originally it was seen as a way of warding off evil spirits: people would dress up as spirits, and by giving them food you are symbolically 'placating the spirits', and therefore protecting yourself. In Scotland people used to go door to door to collect fuel for a huge bonfire, but that tradition doesn't really exist any more because Guy Fawkes night is so close to Halloween.

I admit it works a lot better in small towns and villages where everyone knows each other and gives each other food on a regular basis, and yes in most places it was always traditional to perform something. You have the Americans to thank for the modern iteration of Halloween where people don't bother any more. I guess that comes from the fact that in America, Halloween is a BIG deal, people spend hundreds of pounds on decorations etc, so it's the person inside the house who is the one performing for the trick or treaters, competing for who is the scariest (and most generous with sweets) rather than the other way around.

Also I don't know about you, but in my area trick or treaters don't come to your house unless they (or their parents) are on speaking terms with you, or unless you make it obvious you are celebrating Halloween with decorations etc.
Original post by louieee
I like it because I'm all about that community spirit and it makes children (i.e. the future of tomorrow) happier and they can learn generosity and just generally enjoy life and I gain happiness from making others happy and I don't lose out anything other than a couple of quid which I saved from when I used to go trick or treating.

I doubt the children learn generosity from trick or treat, especially the one that isn't traditional i.e. no singing etc. The whole idea of 'give us treats or we'll so something bad to your house' doesn't really promote generosity.
Reply 15
Original post by louieee

I doubt the children learn generosity from trick or treat, especially the one that isn't traditional i.e. no singing etc. The whole idea of 'give us treats or we'll so something bad to your house' doesn't really promote generosity.

I agree that it's about generosity. That's why I tell the kids that I've donated their Halloween money to charity, and I encourage them to give any money they have received to me so that I can donate it to charity...well I've got to get my beer money somehow amirite?

the only people I know who have had something bad done to their house for not giving kids sweets have been on the internet.

Original post by nohomo
I agree that it's about generosity. That's why I tell the kids that I've donated their Halloween money to charity, and I encourage them to give any money they have received to me so that I can donate it to charity...well I've got to get my beer money somehow amirite?

if you were to actually give it to a charity though I'd imagine most kids and parents alike would be pleased, but fact of the matter is you're just a bit of a grouch
Reply 17
Original post by louieee
the only people I know who have had something bad done to their house for not giving kids sweets have been on the internet.

if you were to actually give it to a charity though I'd imagine most kids and parents alike would be pleased, but fact of the matter is you're just a bit of a grouch

I was just joking.

I live with my parents and they buy sweets in for guisers but none come. I'm not really a grouch. I used to give some money to charity but I'm broke now (didn't have much money to begin with).

I try to live in an ethical way with veganism etc.

But I'm derailing the discussion here
Reply 18
Had eggs thrown at me today whilst walking home.
Fortunately they had incredibly ****ty aim.
Moral of the story, hooligans will be hooligans whether or not you give them sweets.
The type of people who're going to egg your house are generally the ones not interested in the candy at all.
Original post by nohomo
I was just joking.

I live with my parents and they buy sweets in for guisers but none come. I'm not really a grouch. I used to give some money to charity but I'm broke now (didn't have much money to begin with).

I try to live in an ethical way with veganism etc.

But I'm derailing the discussion here

whaaat what does veganism have to do with itt

Quick Reply